MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

I just purchased a Plextor 712A and the Microstudio 2.609 software. I am trying to create backup copies of my karaoke disks. When I use "Duplicate Disk" the process appears to work fine but the copies have some random dots and graphics appearing. When the original disk is played on the computer through Microstudio I have the same random dots appearing. When I play the original disk in the Karaoke machine it works fine. So the original disk appears to be in good shape. It appears that the 712A drive is not reading the disk properly. I tried to slow the read speed to 32X but this did not help. Any Ideas on how I can correct this problem ???

Thanks
Rob
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Post Re: Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

Try slowing the read speed even more. I generally use 16x and it seems to work fine. It just seems that some manufacturer media is cheap and cannot be clearly read at such fast speeds. You might also try slowing your write speed if this doesn't do the trick. The CD-R's you are using could be a part of the problem too, which is why write speed might factor in.

Hope this helps!
Wally
Old September 26th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Re: Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

Don't think it's a cae of write speed. I checked with Plextor a few months ago and was told the newer high speed burners are optimized to write at the higher speeds. I do most of my burning at max speeds in both the Plextor 52X and the 712A, all trouble free.

Agree with Wally regarding the media. That's not the place to economize. The best around is the silver brand marketed by MTU, or the Silver Mitsui.

It pays to be a bit paranoid with the media to the extent of taking the time to clean brand new discs before burning. I haven't had a coaster in over three years.

George

Last edited by George; September 26th, 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old September 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Post Re: Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

George,
Write speed is a function of how good the media you are writing to is. In other words I believe that just because a disc says it is capable of 52x, doesn't mean that it really can. There may be flaws in a certain batch that prevents it and will work much better if slowed down. I choose to write at slower speeds because I'm not just copying discs all day and it doesn't take that much more time to just write slower anyway.

That's just me.
Wally
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Conversley, there have been many instances where the faster speeds have cleaned up commercial discs that had glitches in them.

All I know is what I see, and I have not had a bad burn in three years using top grade media and wide open speeds.

George
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

That's interesting, George

I and many others are probably not using top grade media. A few years back when I first started burning copies of my discs, I used Mitsui Gold discs and I noticed a big decrease in coaster production. But, I was paying alot more money for them and they couldn't be found anywhere in my area. I had to order them on the internet.

Maybe I'll order some more of the Gold discs and give it a try again and see.
Thanks for the info.
Wally
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Wally,

Try the silver media that MTU offers. It has an extra layer that helps minimize scratching and contributes to overall longer life. I have no connection with MTU other than as a customer like yourself, so I stand to gain nothing directly by promoting their products...well, maybe that's not entirely true.

I guess I figure that if I'm going to spend more bucks for something like media, and have to order it anyway, then I'd just as soon put that money into a company like MTU that is providing me with products like Microstudio for one, that I don't believe I could find anywhere else, at least not the quality products with such user friendliness...so if putting a few dollars profit in their pocket for something like media will help keep them afloat in these volitile times so's I can enjoy the rest of their portfolio for years to come, then it's a good investment, as I see it.

I really don't think they are a volume media retailer anyway, but they offer this line to insure quality CDG results with their products like Microstudio...once again just my take on it.

You are correct with less expensive media regarding one batch differing from another. Ithink that depends on the volume of business they do as compared to their production capabilities. I used to use one brand that ran about $24.95 for a stack of 50. They are stocked by most large retailers. I'd go along for awhile with no problems, then all of a sudden there would be a new stack with nothing but problems. I decided that was because during periods of heavy demand they were jobbing out to other manufacturers to produce their label, and quality control was not up to par...once again just my take on it.

When I went over to top grade media, as I've already stated I have had no problems, and probably come out cheaper and happier over the long run, not having to toss any in the trash or put up with annoying glitches.

Enough of the soapbox this early on a Monday morning

Take care,

George
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Cool Re: Trouble Reading/Writing on 712A

I think I will. Although, these days I'm not doing alot of copying now that I have everything backed up. It would be nice to experience no more coaster production. (EVER)

Thanks again for your input
Wally
Old September 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Also, if the drive was not purchased from MTU, then it is not a Certified CD+G drive. You can get these dots from any of the Plextor drives, if you just purchased the drive, you may try taking it back, but most places won't take it back if it will burn.

We have good standings with Plextor, and we can get them to take drives back that we purchased from them for this, but most others I don't think they will.