MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:25 PM

Major laptop issues on 2 different machines

After having 2 months worth of computer issues with my master and backup machines I ordered a custom build laptop from HP. When my master Asus crashed in the last 20 minutes of the show just went black and wouldn\'t do anything. I wasn\'t overly concerned since I had a Dell Vostro refurbished to specs well above the minimums required to run hoster, I had been getting the Dell ready to become the master and added around 4000 songs and was taking my time. That got put in rush mode when the Asus went down. I got it ready to roll took it to my show and the audio was horrid. I run a full on band PA system and I was told to get a usb stereo audio interface it would help by eliminating the headphone jack. After researching I found the Mackie MBD/USB to be the common choice among many professional DJ\'s. So i went with it and yes going from the USB to 2 XLR balanced imputs helped but not like the reviews said it would. Audio issues continued and got worse, random channel drops, and then no output whatsoever without a reboot. Now we had been messing with this Dell every waking hour between shows to try and make it work. To no prevail I had to cancel 2 parties and 2 weekly shows. We found out that the Dell was originally Windows 7 and the video card was integrated in the motherboard. It was Nvidia and my IT guy assured me it was well above the specs to run hoster. We found drivers way out of date and Dell was absolutely no help. nvidia did on the other but since it was in the motherboard and Dell wasn\'t updating it the Nvidia drivers wouldn\'t operate. Same thing with several drivers that we got from windows. They tried to help but every suggestion caused more issues with the Dell. Bottom line DELL is junk and if you want longevity don\'t buy one. So then we turned our focus on the Asus and found out that since it was a slim model they have issues with overheating and frying the internal battery connection making the machine inoperable with the battery installed even if it was using A/C power. So we got it up and running and i tried to transfer the 4000 kma files to it since i had just got new song books and trashed the old ones. Well only about half of the KMA files worked so that was a huge issue since everyone was requesting the new songs. Then the club owner said get it together or your gone. I came home and designed a custom build on HPs site and ordered it that night. Even though i had it mad with a 256 ssd for the os and programs and a 2tg sata for storage i made the decision to go with my files on a external and share between the two machines so no matter which i used everything would be the same. Got the HP yesterday morning and after a chat with Bryan i have successfully set it up and it works perfectly on both machines.First i changed the drive letter with windows on both machines. then i moved all my kma files to the external drive, then i moved the C/MTU/karaoke files to the external as that is where hoster indexes KMA files, Then created a folder in on the external and named it hoster master data i opened hoster went though the tools menu clicked data file then clicked browse found the folder i created selected it and moved the folder. I deleted hoster from the dell installed it on the HP did the same process only instead of moving the data folder i selected to use the one i just created. next i went to the index screen as if i were going to add files but stopped once i got to the index screen and i changed to save files to folder to the external drive. then i went to the song edit menu and used the my drive letter changed function because even though everything showed up and i could search my database they wouldn\'t load because the path was wrong. i had KMA files stored in drive E and hoster had the new idexes stored in C. So I had to run the drive letter change twice once for each drive. did that on both machines and they work perfectly. Now any changes made one one machine will automatically be on the other when i plug the external in. And oh by the way when i plugged the Mackie interface in with the Asus laptop that actually has a fully functioning video and sound card my mind was blown. Every thing the reviews stated and more I freaking love it. It enables one knob control if the file is week turn it up one notch if its strong tun it down one notch. It also transforms the Digital sound to a rich analog true stereo signal and you can hear and feel it like a band is playing. Every regular singer came up and told me how great it sounded and how it made them sound better. Best $150 I\'ve spent in years. Hopefully this long story can help someone else
Old August 2nd, 2019, 01:36 PM
VIP

Re: Major laptop issues on 2 different machines

Wow.

Old August 3rd, 2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbodine70 View Post
Even though i had it made with a 256 ssd for the os and programs and a 2tg sata for storage i made the decision to go with my files on a external and share between the two machines so no matter which i used everything would be the same. Got the HP yesterday morning and after a chat with Bryan i have successfully set it up and it works perfectly on both machines.First i changed the drive letter with windows on both machines. then i moved all my kma files to the external drive, then i moved the C/MTU/karaoke files to the external as that is where hoster indexes KMA files, Then created a folder in on the external and named it hoster master data i opened hoster went though the tools menu clicked data file then clicked browse found the folder i created selected it and moved the folder. I deleted hoster from the dell installed it on the HP did the same process only instead of moving the data folder i selected to use the one i just created. next i went to the index screen as if i were going to add files but stopped once i got to the index screen and i changed to save files to folder to the external drive. then i went to the song edit menu and used the my drive letter changed function because even though everything showed up and i could search my database they wouldn’t load because the path was wrong. i had KMA files stored in drive E and hoster had the new idexes stored in C. So I had to run the drive letter change twice once for each drive. did that on both machines and they work perfectly. Now any changes made one one machine will automatically be on the other when i plug the external in.
Only thing I would point out if using one drive to store your music, make a backup of the music files somewhere else if that drive fails you’ll lose the lot.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 02:45 PM

Great advice and I already do that with all my music files. i bought this drive specifically to run shows with. I even made a mirror of this drive with Recuva. I learned my lesson on back up in 2000 when I first tried to go digital I spent months ripping my cdgs to mp3+g files. Back then I was using a HP business tower with a simple player. Did a show in a building with bad wiring and a power surge fried the motherboard and the hard drive. i lost everything with one flick of the lights.
Old January 27th, 2020, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thread now closed as no further post received.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Closed Thread