MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 2nd, 2002, 02:44 PM

Question Karaoke Fad or Forever?

I was wondering what others believe about the question that has been posed to me by owners, singers, and even my wife. After all, in the early part of the century, the Vaudeville and Disco crowd in their "prime" probably would not have predicted the end. Would we?

IS KARAOKE A FAD, OR WILL IT LAST FOREVER?

Personally, I think it will last as long as any live performances last, which to me will basically be forever. I think that there is a vast majority of us who just enjoy singing and karaoke allows us that outlet.

However, if it would end, when would it, and what would cause it's demise? What would the signs be for us KJ's to "get a real job" and unload the equipment?
Old April 2nd, 2002, 03:35 PM

It wont end... It is something everyone can do and be involved with.. no matter how young or old, everyone loves to sing and be a star... and entertaining to watch those who make fools of themselves..
Old April 2nd, 2002, 06:22 PM

Considering that it's already been around for 70 years or so I'd say it's enduring. What do I mean 70 years ? Well, the Japanese didn't really start anything, they simply warmed up an old concept and put a few twists on it. Back in the thirties you could go to a movie theater, and sandwiched in between a double feature,(that's right, two full length features), a cartoon, sometimes a continued serial(Superman, Red Ryder Western thriller,etc) and world news, you may have a brief sing along session. There would be music playing and lyrics on the screen with a bouncing ball going from word to word in tempo to the music. Sound somewhat familiar anyone ? A bandleader named Mitch Miller enjoyed popularity with his reheat of it in a television series called "Sing Along With Mitch" sometime around the 50's or 60's, once again using the bouncing ball concept. So much for the history lesson, but I'd guess Karaoke could be safely taken out of the fad genre and considered lasting. Interesting to wonder what form it will take next.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; February 18th, 2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old April 4th, 2002, 12:34 AM

Thumbs up

I hope karaoke lasts forever , I love it I practice everyday,and try to start them out at my shows with something new each week, I have been in the business for 5 yrs now ,If karaoke died I guess i would sing with a band but with karaoke the band is always in tune best of luck to you, kj Deb
Old April 5th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Frequent Member

It cycles every so often when it comes to number of shows per week in the area but It always seems to come back time after time when more and more software comes out.
Old April 8th, 2002, 01:54 AM

Good Point George

I do agree with you guys and enjoyed George's comments about the history. I must admit, I had considered the beginning of Karaoke in the early 80's but see now that it is indeed much older. I, just like you guys, hope and believe that karaoke will be around a very long time.

I think the future of music will inevitably be tied to the computer though. KJ's using hosting software to run the show. The computer will add more special effects and take some of the skill and hastle out of running a show.

The software manufacturers will likely end up producing most of their stuff for companies like MTU to be distributed through them via download on a subscription basis. I could be wrong about that though, considering the software that is available that allows virtually anone to make a karaoke track.

We're in a real transition stage where the music producers are making a little less money because of MP3's and the ease of download over the internet. I see the same situation for CDG's once the hosting and copying software and file formats are more stabilized and standardized.

Overall, I think it will be the musical integrity and quality will improve, while the presentation side will suffer a bit. Perhaps like reverting to a 60's type of grass roots singer songwriter movement. I predict more individual art and less corporate packaging. If that's so, it'll be a great thing, as long as you're not N'Sync or a music producer with a millon dollar house to maintain!

The bottom line for me is that music is in a great place, and KJ's are subsequently in a great place. The fat cats have cause to worry, but small, effective companies like MTU are right where they need to be. Hey, MTU, any public offerings yet? hehehe
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

OK Karaoke - no KO

Karaoke provides a much needed outlet for all those millions in the world who love to sing. Absolutely everybody can sing (even the tone-deaf, I know because I've heard some of them!), it's just that some of us don't sing as well as others. It's also a participation thing. Before the advent of recorded music a much higher percentage of people played some sort of instrument for entertainment. They would gather on street corners and in each others' homes and sing together. Then came the start of "the group" and many, especially the young, could perform for themselves and for the public. But what of those who have no instrumental capacity (like myself) and no access to musicians? Must they be denied the sheer joy and excitement of singing outside the privacy of their bathroom? No they don't, not when there are those wonderful people who are prepared to invest large chunks of their disposable income in equipment and discs, have the talent to put on a show, and let the rest of us play with their gear. Carry on, and thanks, KJs. You will always find an audience.
Old May 19th, 2002, 02:17 PM

Is Karaoke Here To Stay ?

Yes, I think it is here to stay. I've been doing shows for over 2 years and am bringing in more people than the bands that clubs hire. The problem is, everybody wants to get into the business and in my area I have alot of people getting into the business and under-cutting everybody. The bad thing is, the bar owners have no loyalty and will usually change for a few dollars less. In my case, I don't worry about being undercut because of the quality of my show and the crowd I bring in, but it's hard finding new gigs because I will not work for less than I am worth.
Old February 18th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Thumbs up I would like to echo what others have said

I am happy to have found this post. I echo what was said earlier that karaoke is a great thing for singers who don't play instruments. I am in connecticut and I could karaoke as a patron every night of the week if I wanted to. There was a beer commercial that insulted karaoke when an actor called it a "cult" compared with the "religion" of music. Does anybody remember that? Karaoke is music and not anything less. Karaoke only can help the evolution of music, because, if anything, in our age of larger-than-life pop stars, it puts a more human stamp on the music and gives it to the layperson. It contributes to contemporary music's evolution because it allows singers who want to sing to practice, look at the lyrics more closely by reading the screen, and most importantly, to reach some kind of artistic exhange with an atleast partially listening audience. It sounds over-complicated for what usually is a light-hearted affair on both sides of the mike, but these things are done everytime a song is sung. Karaoke is the best of what music is to me and in its most accessible form. The beauty of karaoke is that it makes songs performable for the non-musician who wants that experience. There is nothing illegitimate in that. Even if that ficticious actor heard bad singer after bad singer, still, karaoke does not fall second in status to music, it is music.
Old February 19th, 2003, 02:40 AM

Fad? I don't think so.

The interest in this exciting hobby is greater than most of us might think. New songs are released every week. There are karaoke places everywhere.

A search on Google shows 2,730,000 instances.

As for the history, George expressed it very well. Here is a link for more about "Karaoke History.

http://www.itksuperstore.com/page30.html

Jon
Old February 19th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Duh Karaoke in still one of bravest thing you can do.
Stand up in front of people and sing.
We all have ego's that liked to be stroked.