MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM

The reality of Karaoke?

Oh yes, I am getting bitter. I am getting sick and tired of people pretending to be KJ’s.
Don’t people realize that to be a good KJ, you need more then just a mixer and a CDG player??

As a long time KJ I spend quite some time on the different karaoke forums. What I do notice is that there are always a lot of questions regarding “What do I buy?” That, I think is a very good starting point for a new KJ, what does bother me though is that nobody ever asks “What can I do to make the system sound good?”

You can have a crappy system (so to speak) and make it sound good, but without the right know-how, you can make a good system sound crappy. I am getting so tired of going to karaoke places just to be disappointed by a KJ that bought a low end system, a couple of disks from Wal-Mart and now hoping he/she can make a quick buck or 2 (Normally less then $100 per night)

The worst thing for me is to walk in a karaoke bar, seeing a great system, and then just to hear that the mix is absolute junk. Why does the music have to be louder then the mic?? Does that KJ never listen to music on the radio? If you are a KJ you should be proud of what you’re doing. Get up from your lazy butt from where you sit/stand when someone is singing and listen to sound QUALITY. Does it sound like the CD in your car? (Quality wise, not necessarily vocal wise) If not, learn how to mix. Another thing……….when you setup the mic you as KJ use for singing, give that same mic to your guests. Why are you as KJ using a great quality wireless mic when you sing, but your guest gets a crappy $29.00 mic??? This happens ever so often.

Remember people, not all singers are a bunch of drunks trying to impress their friends. There are a lot of serious vocalists out there.