MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM

Private clubs?

I recently returned from a vacation in Mexico. We asked around where they might be karaoke and the only place the hotel staff were aware of was a certain restuarant/bar. We showed up at 6:30 for dinner. Karaoke stared at 7 and for the 1st hour things were fine. Then between 8-9 all of the local regulars showed up and we noticed that the 'tourists' were no longer being called up to sing. After waiting forever we left, without leaving the karaoke host a trip. (In Mexico wages are low and everyone has a tip jar). I had a healthy tip put aside, but once we determined the lay of the land, no tip.

Walking back to our hotel we passed another restuarant with a karaoke advertized for 2 days later and went there the appropriate evening. This restuarant/bar catered to tourists and well as locals and we had a great time. We later found a 3rd restuarant/bar that worked the same way.

So, was there a problem with the 1st bar? That they catered to locals at the expense of tourists is not a problem. That is their right and privilege. That they played it both ways and did not inform the tourists (so as not to lose tourist dinner revenue) is a problem. Ultimately they do lose tourist revene because tourists talk to each other and give the place a bad rep. eg. We told people not to go there because their food/ambiance was no better than anywhere else, while we did recommend the 2nd karaoke bar (among others) because their food and drink was the best we found (we went there 5 times over 2 weeks). And if you wanted to do karaoke, avoid the 1st bar.

In the circumstance starting this thread I see a small established place with adequate regulars. To inform the public of the way things work (so that you don't have the same problem in the future) I would consider switching the sign from 'karaoke' to 'live entertainment', your quality regulars being the live entertainment. If anyone wants further explanation just say it is a public bar with private karaoke. Anyone is free to enjoy listening, but singing is by invitation.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:17 AM
VIP

Thumbs up Karaoke is for EVERYONE !!!

Come on guys! If you discriminate, you eliminate! It's the Good, Bad, & the Ugly that has made Karaoke as popular as it is! If you want to see professional musicians/singers/ringers that are close to hitting the big time...., just go see a lounge act in Vegas, and see these stars in waiting, doing two shows a night trying to get discovered. Max talent, and nothing to show for it... and these are Pros!!! Go to Nashville, where great singer/songwriters are a dime a dozen, just hoping to get a break!

Your shows are not a showcase for Stars, it is a platform where the average Joe/Joanna, can get in front of their friends, co-workers, strangers.... Record Producers...Oops! Let them show how good or mediocre they can be with your assistance, and let them be the best that they can be, and have a great time, no matter what their level of Grandeur, as perceived by you, the KJ, unless you are a record producer? Run a fair rotation, give the good's, bad's, and ugly's their three minutes of fame, and go to the bank with a smile on your face knowing you didn't eliminate anybody because they drank water, instead of Crown Royal! ( And then tipped you for accomodating their penchant for singing, and not getting staggering drunk because a drink minimum is the only prerequisite that your show/bar looks at!)

Sorry gang, I just felt like venting, and this thread seemed like a good one to start with!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case we have a very small venue. I suspect if the water-drinkers drove the spenders to find a new venue the place 'could' go out of business. The place has a good regular crowd that keeps the place in business. It is only good business to encourage them to come back.

I also didn't get the sense that this was about good vs bad singing. The regulars who keep the place in business happen to be good singers while the $7 idiots happen to be bad singers. If the story was reversed, that the regulars were horrible singers and the $7 idiots sang lilke rock stars, my suggestion would be the same. Run your business to stay in business.

There are a few karaoke bars in my city that I don't frequent because the owner (not the K host) desires a certain clientelle of which I am not one. My neighborhood pub is one of these places. It has a core group of heavy drinking customers who insist on getting falling over drunk and singing bad karaoke. I am not a heavy drinker and can sing all of them under the table, but I am not welcome in the bar. A $30 / person tab is not enough for their business model.

I don't begrudge they way the run their business. If you are going to build a business it is yours; do what you want. All I ask is that I know what's up so I can make an informed decision.

My favorite karaoke bar has karaoke 4 nights a week. 3 nights cater to the young rowdys. The 4th night caters to a mellow crowd. Neither the host nor the singers who come out the mellow night come out the other 3 nights. When rowdys do karaoke on the mellow night it is quietly suggested to them that they would have a better time on the other 3 nights. Everyone has a more enjoyable evening.

Note: not everyone on the mellow night are good singers (though most are), they just don't need to get stupid drunk before they'll sing.

Last edited by RandyMcCharles; January 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Come on guys! If you discriminate, you eliminate! It's the Good, Bad, & the Ugly that has made Karaoke as popular as it is! If you want to see professional musicians/singers/ringers that are close to hitting the big time...., just go see a lounge act in Vegas, and see these stars in waiting, doing two shows a night trying to get discovered. Max talent, and nothing to show for it... and these are Pros!!! Go to Nashville, where great singer/songwriters are a dime a dozen, just hoping to get a break!

Your shows are not a showcase for Stars, it is a platform where the average Joe/Joanna, can get in front of their friends, co-workers, strangers.... Record Producers...Oops! Let them show how good or mediocre they can be with your assistance, and let them be the best that they can be, and have a great time, no matter what their level of Grandeur, as perceived by you, the KJ, unless you are a record producer? Run a fair rotation, give the good's, bad's, and ugly's their three minutes of fame, and go to the bank with a smile on your face knowing you didn't eliminate anybody because they drank water, instead of Crown Royal! ( And then tipped you for accomodating their penchant for singing, and not getting staggering drunk because a drink minimum is the only prerequisite that your show/bar looks at!)

Sorry gang, I just felt like venting, and this thread seemed like a good one to start with!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Say what about that wonderful Karaoke Bar just outside of Ft Huachuca? A real hangout for the soldiers, I remember the KJ still using the old Laserdisk players. I was lucky I got to sing once...The place was in the back of a strip mall. I wonder if it is still there...
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
Say what about that wonderful Karaoke Bar just outside of Ft Huachuca? A real hangout for the soldiers, I remember the KJ still using the old Laserdisk players. I was lucky I got to sing once...The place was in the back of a strip mall. I wonder if it is still there...
CapnVic,

Not Sure? How long ago? I've been doing my own thing in Nogales for the last 15 years, with sachets to Green Valley, Rio Rico, & Patagonia. I used to travel the 65 miles to Sierra Vista/ Fort Huachuca, to do Karaoke with a couple named CiCi ( CiCi's Karaoke, Terry & Syndee ),they were at a Famous Sam's, and a Racquet Club. I got in the business when he moved his show out of Nogales to move to Sierra Vista and I needed a Karaoke for the Bowling Alley / Lounge that I was managing & booking entertainment for. I told the owner that if he paid for the equipment, that I would work the tab off by doing free shows for a year. That's where it all started for me! I got hooked on Karaoke, and when the show moved out of town, I started my own. Still love it...

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke