MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old July 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Wink Old Chinese Multi Sort Database Trick

I've been reading a lot of posts about books and keeping things organized and lists for regular singers etc. None of which will apply to my little one man band operation but I thought I would share a trick that I learned years ago.

When computer databases first became popular the amazing thing was that you could do multiple searches. When everything was in a file cabinet you had to know how the filer set up the files. And there were all sort of elaborate filing rules that no one seemed to follow.

There is a manual index card system that I used years ago, and I have no idea where I first learned of it. It is probably way to fragile to use in a group of drunken revelers but here it is. And the only reason to use anything like this is when you absolutely do not want to use the computer to store or sort the information; but you need to sort from a pile of information.

The information is put on cards which are kept in a box. Like index cards.
A hole punch is used across the top of the cards in regular intervals, lets say you have 4 x 6 Index Cards with lists of songs on them. You punch a hole each 1/2 inch across the top. then using cutters you make all the holes a notch (cut them out) except for the hole that represents the infomation on that card.

OK - Just for grins, lets say the top left hole represented Male Country Singers.

You could go to the box and take all the cards out - run a rod through the top left hole and pull the rod and it's cards away from the stack. The cards with the top left hole intact would stay on the rod and the ones with the top left hole notched out will fall away from the rod. You could then get all the cards for Male Country Singers removed from the stack with one application of the Rod. All the other cards go back in the box.

Another hole could represent red headed country singers and you could then do a two criteria sort.

Another hole could be guitar playing singers. Eventually you will get to the Willie Nelson card, LOL. You get the idea! Hoster is faster ... i.e. SEARCH = "WIllie"

You could have an infinite number of holes, locations and reasons for holes on the index cards. With the right box, with a deep lid and a shallow box front, back and sides you can insert the rod with the cards in the box and just pull out the ones you want.

I have no idea if this will help anyone do anything but it doesn't cost much to do a post. Happy sorting if this helps anyone out with anything.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Vermillion; July 25th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.