MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Problem with registration code(s)

I just received the email to upgrade to the new release of Microstudio. I downloaded it and setup immediately removed my current version. When I went to install the new version, it required a registration code. I was directed to my "Account" page at mtu.com and there I found 4 registration codes from my last upgrade, none of which work. What am I to do? Tech support says that they do not return phone calls so I did not leave a message. What do I do now?
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM

You can try installing your old version of MS then upgrade (don't remove the old version) to MS 4.20.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

What was the version you removed?
Did you have to buy this upgrade version or was it a free upgrade (you already own a version 4.XXX)?
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM

It was a free upgrade. The new version removed my older version so I am not sure how to install it and keep the older version.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

What was the older version?
You should have used the Upgrade install instead of the Remove. Then if the registration code didn't work you would still have the older version in tact.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Please understand that I did not remove my older version.... the installation removed it. I was just following the prompts. As far as the version goes, I do not remember the exact number, I just know that it qualified me for a free upgrade.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Was this previous version 3.3__ or 4.0_?
How do you know it was a free upgrade if you do not know what version you were using before, since the fre upgrades are based on what you have installed at the time.
MTU's installation program does not remove the previous version unless you click on the "Remove" option instead of the "Upgrade" option. But this is water under the bridge since it is gone from your computer.

Go to your account and find the highest version number of the 4 registration codes. That would be your last purchased version and the correct one.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Disregard
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapDude View Post
Ok Dale...... I will explain everything step by step. But first, I ran a system restore and Microstudio 4.20 is back, so no water under the bridge.
Before you move on down to the second part of this please explain this. If I am reading this right you have version 4.20 on your machine right now after the system restore? This is the current version and there is no new upgrade above that, so if that is the version you have then you are good to go.
Before you do any thing else open Microstudio, go to Help\View Registration Code and write it down.

Quote:
I double clicked on the new free upgrade, and the very first screen that pops up is a welcome message stating that a prior version of Microstudio has been found. I am then warned that I must remove the prior version before I can install the new one. If I click "next" the prior version will be removed. So I am back to square one. According to the email I received, the upgrade is free based on my prior version. I do not see a choice of keeping the older version and installing the newer one.
There is not an option for keeping both versions. The "Upgrade" option would allow it to install over the earlier version without having to remove it. If you don't see this then that is not available for this upgrade. This would be because some files had to be moved to another location so they had to be removed.

Quote:
If I do install the new version, the instructions for locating and entering my original registration code for 4.20 from my account are not working. I hope this makes everything clearer.
The email (I got it too) says if you have version 4.000 or higher then the upgrade is free.
If you login to your store account the first page lists all of your registration codes. You said you have 4 registration codes (all for Microstudio?). So what version was the last one you purchased (highest number)? That would be the correct one. Also note what the email address listed with it, because that also has to be the same.
Knowing the one that should work (from above) what error message did you get when you used that one?
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Dale,

I am not quite sure what happened, but after I typed all that step by step answer, I realized that I had the most recent version. I am very perplexed as to how that happened, and I tried to delete my entire reply and thought that I did, but obviously you were able to respond to it.

So as it turns out, I do have the version 4.20 and I feel like a goofball but I am happy that it is there. Thanks for your responses too.