MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old July 4th, 2002, 01:05 PM

what WILL work??

what ide drives are guaranteed to work with Microstudio or CloneCD??..(or preferably both!!) (heh heh..don't go there..i can't get the software to run so i think i'll not run the risk with a writer too.. ;)...that and i need this puppy NOW!!)

apparently my Yamaha 2100EZ sux for doing CD+G's so it needs to be replaced ASAP.. i can't even get it to write at 1x and not start smoking.."danger..danger" "error..error"

how are the newer 40x Plextors??
or can you recommend some models i should look at??
i just need something that will FOR SURE work..
imo the faster the better, i'm not into buying relics even tho from what i'm reading they seem to work a lot better than the newer stuff..(hmmmm...that seems weird..)

tia..DragonAce
Old July 4th, 2002, 02:36 PM

I believe the only drives MTU will guarantee success with CDG are the ones they sell to be used with their own products. This is because they test and certify every burner they sell to work with MICROSTUDIO.

Regarding speed, where CDG is concerned, the faster the burning, the more glitches one can expect(words half shaded, random crud on the screen, etc. You see a lot of it in commercial cdg's). If you'll read through the forums you'll see slower speeds advocated numerous times, for that reason, but that's your call, depending on the results you expect.

Hope that answers your question.
Old July 4th, 2002, 03:39 PM

thanx George..
all but one..brand name..
i know MTU sells them, but what brand are they certifying??
i've got a few "retailers" local to me that i'm sure would be happy to "play" with try this or try that, but i'd prefer to be able to walk in and say "k, gimme that plextor over there but this is what i need to do.."..

i hears you on the speed issue, and for cdg's it'll be slowed down, but for other types of burning it'll be 3 minute burns like what the Yamaha can do..(does that make sense??)

thanx again..DA
Old July 4th, 2002, 04:54 PM

MTU markets the Plextor line. Go to the website under KARAOKE PRODUCTS, then CDG CD BURNERS, and you should be able to get a handle on it.

On the speed, I do the same thing, slower on CDG and wide open on plain vanilla audio. I do the same with discs, Mitsui for cdg's and Memorex for audio. Haven't been disappointed yet, and not in the coaster business.

Take care,

George
Old July 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Administrator

MTU Certified drives

DragonAce, if you purchase a drive elsewhere, please expect to get your support from them also.

We test the drives we sell and certify them to be CDG capable. We are not aware of anyone else doing this certification, or providing CDG knowledgeable support. If you don't mind taking drives back and forth to dealers in your area, then try what you are saying in our Forum here. However, if your time is valuable to you, buy from MTU and know the drive will work.

Keep in mind, our price includes our support if you need it.
Old July 5th, 2002, 12:20 PM

Re: MTU Certified drives

Quote:
Originally posted by admin
DragonAce, if you purchase a drive elsewhere, please expect to get your support from them also.
Keep in mind, our price includes our support if you need it.
Just to clarify things, as i'm not completely sure of what you're implying here..but regardless of what drive i'm purchasing is the software that i purchased not covered under the same "support" policy?
fine if it's a drive issue then ya, i kinda have to find my way thru it myself..but what if it's a software issue??
i don't see why i should expect support for something i purchased from someone else..tho for something that i did purchase from MTU, well that should kinda without saying..shouldn't it??

i'll have another look at what you have, tho what i have to take into consideration is price of burner+exchange rate+duty+shipping+having to take a day off work to make sure it's deliverable..etc etc etc..

now if ya could send it over the net like the software

peace guys, and thanx for the comments..
Old July 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM

Plex

I have had great success with the Plextor 1610 using both Micro Studio and Clone CD backing up audio, multi session audio, CD+G, and multi session CD+G.
Using Clone I also use a liteon DVD.
My Plex came from plex's web site.
Old July 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM

thanx again Jim..
Old July 5th, 2002, 03:50 PM

It is my understanding, from previous MTU posts that the primary reason MTU tests all the burners they release is because of the failure rate they experience from any brand, Plextor included. This also would explain their reluctance to recommend a particular brand or model.
This means just because Jim's and my 16x10x40 Plextors perform well doesn't mean they all will. If I recall, I believe the failure to process CDG was something like 1 out of every 4 or 5 would fail. These numbers may or may not still hold true as it's been some time. What's the latest, ADMIN?

George

Last edited by George; July 5th, 2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old July 14th, 2002, 12:02 PM

plxtor failure

How is it tested and what makes a burner any different than the next model. One of my friends has been talking about this TDK burner. It says it does CDG burning. Does MTU certify their burner to do karaoke or certify the burner to work with its software. Does that make sense.. or should I just go away now (since I got what I want anyhow)
Old July 14th, 2002, 01:09 PM

RE: TDK

According to the MTU site, they only list two supported TDK IDE burners, the VELO CD8X and the VELO CD12X if the site is up to date.
Old July 14th, 2002, 01:29 PM

Unfortunately, there's more than one format used for Karaoke. I got into this with an Acer burner I bought that was advertised to support Karaoke. After over a month of "try this", "try that" from their support team I talked to their engineer who told me Acer supported VCD Karaoke format and never would support CDG. I asked if their advertising wasn't a bit misleading since most consumers thought in terms of CDG when talking Karaoke,and he said they were "Technically Correct" and had no liability.

You used the terms KARAOKE and CDG in one sentence to mean the same thing, as most of us do, but it's not quite that simple anymore.

I don't know how TDK is advertising, but your friend best make certain when they say their burner will do Karaoke, that they mean CDG, and not VCD or DVD.

MTU certifies their burners to work in the CDG mode, and it would seem logical, with their own software. I'd think that since they experience one out of every so many that fail with CDG they'd be hard pressed to certify any burner that they have not tested to perform, and with their own software. That's only reasonable, wouldn't you agree? When they list a "supported" burner I'd suppose that's based on Manufacturer's info, and if it fails to perform that's the luck of the draw, and the manufacturer's responsibility.

If I've taken an overly simplistic view of this I'm sure Admin will jump in and correct me.

Hope this helps.

George
Old July 14th, 2002, 01:59 PM

What The????

George, are you saying that just because MTU lists a burner as a supported burner that does not mean it will really be a supported burner???
If that's the case then why even put the list on their site?? Or why even have a list??

I can't find a smile that relates my feelings on this!!

Admin: Jim, Microstudio will work with a drive that WILL DO CDG correctly. The problem is that many drives that claim to do CDG, even those on our list, have individual drives that will NOT DO CDG. It is not under our control. If you are frustrated, how do you think we feel?
Old July 14th, 2002, 02:27 PM

What I'm saying is exactly what they say in red print ahead of that list of burners. According to the manufacturers those burners are SUPPOSED to work in CDG format, and MOST probably will. There will be one out of every so many that won't, including Plextors, and MTU certainly can't be considered responsible if you get one that won't. Don't just read the listed burners, read the red, bold disclaimers also.

As to why even have the list, that will have to be addressed by MTU.I wouldn't be presumptious enough to speak for them.

If you want a burner guaranteed to work in CDG mode, then buy it from MTU, and buy their software also(it's the best around anyway). Read through the Microstudio posts and check out what former owners of other cdg software programs have to say.

Having been there and done that, the added price tag to get a burner that's been put on line and proven to work in CDG mode
was well the money.

George
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:02 PM

My problem is in the fact that I have already purchased software and plextor burner.. I have to work at home and would like to install another plextor or whatever in that machine, and would like to save a little money instead of buying all the stuff again. I did already spend aprox 500 and thats not including all the stuff I didnt need.. (big boy toys) My concern here is what process is used to determine if they certify a burner? Also, if a shovel is a shovel and its brand x should they all not dig a hole... remembering I still have to do the labor....
Tinman
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:36 PM

Did you purchase through MTU?

It is my understanding they put each burner into operation and make certain it will process CDG. The two I've purchased through them were both opened and re-sealed, and I've not had a minute's trouble.

I wish your shovel analogy were true, but unfortunately not so, especially where mechanics and electronics are involved.No difference with the guy with the $30,000.00 lemon sitting in the driveway and the neighbor across the street with the identical model car humming along just fine.

From MTU's standpoint I would imagine they'd love nothing better that to be able to rely on a burner's performance rather that having to spend a great deal of time testing them. Rarely do us consumers ever like to think that a problem may be in our hardware, but choose to blame software. I'd imagine that's why MTU takes the pains they do to make certain we have reliable hardware available to us.

Take care,

George
Old July 14th, 2002, 08:32 PM

Sony 24x for $59.00 from Office Depot

I just bought a Sony CRX175A1/C1CD CD-RW 24X/10X/40X Internal burner for $59.00 - yes $59. Regular price is $89 with $30 rebate. It burns CDG just fine and it is on Golden Hawk's list of supported burners. If a burner works with Golden Hawk's CDRWIN program, then it should work with a karaoke player provided the player was designed correctly.

Steve
Old July 14th, 2002, 11:23 PM

Sony 24x10x40x Internal CD-RW Drive List Price: Our Price: Units:
Item number: 178552 $199.99 $99.99 each
Mfgr number:
Manufacturer: Sony
Qty: In Stock

Sony 32x10x40x Internal CD-RW Drive List Price: Our Price: Units:
Item number: 274032 $169.99 $119.99 each
Mfgr number:
Manufacturer: Sony
Qty: In Stock

Steve, consider yourself fortunate to have gotten one of those specials. This is all they show on the Office Depot National website under Sony CDRW burners. Info was cut and pasted.

Can't help but wonder, if the guys accept your guidance and find and buy one on your recommendation will you assume the financial liability if it doesn't work and Office Depot won't replace it or take it back? Tha'ts not such an off the wall question either considering that DRAGON ACE started this thread wanting to know what drives were guaranteed to work with Microstudio. His question was answered, and in offering an aternative you should be willing to assume the same responsibility that MTU would with a drive purchased through them. MTU certifies theirs to work.

CDRWIN is also a nice little starter kit, but why waste the money when so many people(myself included) have and are upgrading to Microstudio? That's not just my opinion, it is being reflected in posts on these forums. Microstudio far outclasses CDRWIN, but then, by your own prior post, not owning any MTU products, you're really in no position to judge them .

Last edited by George; July 15th, 2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old July 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM

Jim in Ohio,

Got thinking about you getting upset over the supported drives thing yesterday so just for kicks I went to Goldenhawk's(CDRWIN)
site a while ago.

This should really send you into a tizzy.
They claim to support over 900 drives to MTU's 55-60 or so, but when you go to their FAQ section they list around only 40-45 that they say will read/write CDG, but no mention of any guarantees that they will work.

I really think there is an industry mis-use of the term "supported".
It should read something like"the following drives are advertised by the manufacturers to read/write CDG format. We can not assume any responsibility if they do not"

Then in MTU's case they could go on to say "MTU will support and back the drives we sell as they are tested in our lab and we certify them to read/write CDG format." No one else could make that claim.

Stand tall MTU, you have every right to.
Old July 15th, 2002, 04:33 PM

Talking You Get What You Pay For

Keep it up George !

Some people obviously don't realize what a pain it is to make a purchase, anticipate it coming in, and then it not work. It what worth saving a few bucks? Been there done that.
I did a lot of reading and investigation prior to making my purchase with MTU. After all the dust cleared, it was kind of obvious to me I was going to have to pay a little more for a CD burner. But HEY!, I knew it would work when I got it. No surprises and no dissapointments. You get what you pay for. MTU is offering an extra service (charging for it) of testing each unit they sell. I would much rather pay a little more.............

Jerry