MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Re: Report Hoster 5.00 Problems

Last night I used 5.0 for the first time in a show and I had an intermittent problem with Hoster not responding. I pretty much know what caused it though. Yesterday in another thread I was writing about a request that I had previously wrote about that would let you adjust font size in the search and singer's database. (The search and singers radio buttons.) I have a few older people with bad vision and when they want to see their list, they can't read it and I end up having to read it to them. I think it was Roy that told me that in Windows 7 there is a magnifier that you can put on your taskbar and open it anytime. I used it last night with some of those people, and they loved it, but once I shut it off, Hoster stops functioning. Luckily it takes about 3-4 seconds for Hoster to start back up again and all songs are still there, so the singer doesn't realize that anything happened. I wish Hoster and the magnifier would play nice together, but if this is how it goes, I guess I can live with it. Would be nice if the original request would be added to Hoster, then I wouldn't need the magnifier.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarl View Post
The problem is I think the search Tab does not return to being colored in after a search, so when you type in your seach for the next item it doesn't work because the search tab is not colored in, so you click the search tab so it is colored in and then your search term is highlighted, and back and forth all night. if the search tab, would automaticly return to the colored in stage maybe it would not be a problem.
As for me being emotional, i believe I have a right to be, Hoster 4.32 shutting down cost me a lot of $$$$ I lost a great Gig because of these shut downs, and the other 2 gigs I did with 4.32 and 5.0 the shut downs were embarassing. How do I call myself a professional, when my karaoke shuts down 3 times in the first 15 minutes and a dozen times during an eveniing
Carl Not so crazy
Carl, I don't disagree that you have feelings about Hoster crashing on your computer.

However, if you want us to respond in the future, give us exactly what you do that we can duplicate your crashing situation. If you can't do this, then it is likely not a Hoster problem but something related to your computer.

Give us the facts to duplicate the crash, and we'll address AND solve it.

Give us emotions and there is nothing we can do for you.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublack View Post
I ran 5.0 for a second time last night.

It my be unique to me, but the singers database is without a doubt the cause for my not responding shutdowns.

I had my first shutdown an hour and a half into the show (better than the night before). I closed the singers database no problems.

I opened the singers database for one (begging) singer and as soon as I added her song from the singers database to the playlist Hoster crashed a second time.

I apologized to everyone that I could not show them there list for the rest of the night. I never reopened the singers database and there were no problems the rest of the night

Wierd
Stublack, good job!

Thank you for giving us the details you did. We'll look into this today. I'll post back here what we find.

If we can't duplicate and fix it right now, I'm sure there will be more reports, or even details from you that will allow us to eventually pinpoint the cause.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Admin I have given you facts. In an earlier post right here in 5.0 problems.
Can not use Auto play or edit singers name without crashing
Carl
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM

I'm just posting a problem here. I thought that is what this thread is for.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM
VIP

Quote:
I'm just posting a problem here. I thought that is what this thread is for.
Stublack... this is how MTU gets to the bottom of some of the problems, that never get observed during beta testing prior to release of upgrades...Maybe its an underpowered computer, that doesn't have the resources that many of the beta testers don't usually have to worry with, or sometimes it's an uncommon use of the program, that the beta testers don't use, so the gremlins don't raise their little heads prior to the release of an upgrade, until many, many users get a chance to pound on their individual computer's and find a bug or problem that all the beta testing didn't uncover, and wouldn't have been fixed prior to release!

So Admin/MTU wants to uncover any problem that the new release causes to any of it's customers, and try to duplicate that problem so a fix/repair can be made and sent out in a bug fix, or solve the issue in the next upgrade release! The more detailed information you can give about the problem, what you were doing when it happened, and your individual computer specs, and operating system, will help MTU/Admin to unmask the gremlins, and solve your problem... and probably many others that may be seeing the same problem, and thus making Hoster a better product for all its customers!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarl View Post
The problem is I think the search Tab does not return to being colored in after a search, so when you type in your seach for the next item it doesn't work because the search tab is not colored in, so you click the search tab so it is colored in and then your search term is highlighted, and back and forth all night. if the search tab, would automaticly return to the colored in stage maybe it would not be a problem.
I would agree that not having the search field highlight or blank out after a search is an inconvenience (same with the singer field but thats a different issue), it is an easily rectified one. Simply left click your mouse and wipe it across the old text.
Quote:
As for me being emotional, i believe I have a right to be, Hoster 4.32 shutting down cost me a lot of $$$$ I lost a great Gig because of these shut downs, and the other 2 gigs I did with 4.32 and 5.0 the shut downs were embarassing. How do I call myself a professional, when my karaoke shuts down 3 times in the first 15 minutes and a dozen times during an eveniing
Carl Not so crazy
Based on the fact that you are the only one with this magnatude of crashes I would suspect a problem with your windows or computer itself. I had similiar problems when I went from 3.xx to 4.0. 99% of those problems disappeared after reinstalling windows
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Post Re: Report Hoster 5.00 Problems

I am having audio dropout's with both of my machines (that would be the regular and backup). I was running 5.0 on my Vista 64 machine but 5.0 was much too unstable to keep using it with Vista 64. I uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.32 and things are working a bit better. My backup computer is running Windows 7 and the audio dropout's are very noticeable. I have good sound cards Vista 64 uses Realtek High Def Audio (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS) and the Win7 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6500)

Three other issues: 1. please, please, please remove the " border="0" alt="" />

2. I also had trouble with the singers dialog box and I see you fixed it today. Thank you.
I do not want to install 5.01 unless you believe it will not crash during a show and I am going to keep 4.32 on my main computer until I see more positive feedback. I enjoy all the changes and do not use Hoster to its fullest but I do use it 10 to 12 times a month. I do ton's of nursing homes, assisted living, and senior homes. The "old folks" love my shows but it gets a bit embarrassing when Hoster does not play nice.

3. Songs still go “negative” with the remove silence. I know you said you fixed this but I still see negative numbers tick by. Again, this is better but not fixed unless I need to do something with Vista 64 (no you do not get to comment on that).

All in all I am just a bit upset and I realize that there will be a few problems before it is perfect. Keep up the good work and together we will enjoy KJ for years to come.

Last edited by tkelley3; May 9th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
VIP

I have discovered what may be a few bugs

Audio only selections in the play list:

Selecting .WMA file leaves Dur field at 00:00 and does not increase the “Show Time” field. When the file is selected to play, Dur field populates with time and does not increase the “Show Time” field.

Selecting MP3 populates Dur field and increases the “Show Time” field.

“Show Time” field does not count down as track plays, however it does update after a track is finished (except for .WMA files). I’m not sure if this is by design or a bug as the manual does not reflect one way or the other. The Dur field does countdown as usual.

Importing CD Tracks (CD-G’s):

Having the Scrolling Marquee active while importing CD Tracks (CD-G’s) seems to slow the import process by about 15%. Turning off (hiding) the Marquee definitely speeds up the process. Test was accomplished by importing the same disk 3 times: 2nd import Marquee scrolling, 17 tracks 6 min 15 seconds. 3rd import Marquee not scrolling, 17 tracks 5 min 20 seconds. Times will probably vary depending on processor speed, number of processor cores, and ram in use.

While attempting to import CD Tracks (CD-G’s) and editing the song title, I attempted to input “Tough” by Morgan, Craig, Hoster auto complete would only allow “Tough Enough” unless I placed a character at the end of the word. Example “Tough-“

Has anyone else experienced any of the above?

Thanks!

Test & Show Computer:
Dell Laptop XPS L701X
Operating System - Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit, SP1
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz, 1734Mhz, 4 Core(s) (1st Generation with no onboard Graphics)
Ram - 8.00GB
Hard Drive 1 Operating System: OCZ Vertex 4 (256gb)
Hard Drive 2 Music & Videos: Segate 1tb
Virtural Memory - 15.9GB
Video Card - NVidia GeForce GT 445M,,3GB Ram, Dedicated
Video Driver - NVidia 306.97
K-Lite Codec MEGA Pack installed (v9.4)
MS Office 2010 installed
IE 9, Google Chrome
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:45 PM

I only stated "That I thought this was a site to mention problem" because someone stated to read the manual. The problem and it's resolution is one thing and I will offer as much detail as I can regarding that.

But please don't think the problem occurred because I did or did not read the manual.

Also, I may not know much about Technical things but I am not stupid, I know that information solves problems, so if you want information I will give it to you. If I don't understand what you want then I need clarification (maybe that's why you think I'm stupid).
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM

I have used Hoster 5.00 twice the first time it shut down once during a 4 hour show. The second time it shut down 7 times during a 4 hour show. 5 times after the song had finished, once during a song and the next time it locked up during a song. I had to power down and restart my computer. I upgraded to 5.01 today I have a 4 hour show tonight I will let you know what happens....

I have an MTU Ruggedized Laptop that I purchased last year.

We will see what happens.....
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I only stated "That I thought this was a site to mention problem" because someone stated to read the manual. The problem and it's resolution is one thing and I will offer as much detail as I can regarding that.

But please don't think the problem occurred because I did or did not read the manual.

Also, I may not know much about Technical things but I am not stupid, I know that information solves problems, so if you want information I will give it to you. If I don't understand what you want then I need clarification (maybe that's why you think I'm stupid).
Stublack please don't be offended. Roy and myself were only trying to find out which way you went into the Singer's database. There are two different ways and we wanted to get more detail in which way you used, so MTU could look at te correct one. The one from within search does not have any editting included, but just gives a list of their songs and allows choosing songs for addition to the playlist.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I ran 5.0 for a second time last night.

It my be unique to me, but the singers database is without a doubt the cause for my not responding shutdowns.

I had my first shutdown an hour and a half into the show (better than the night before). I closed the singers database no problems.

I opened the singers database for one (begging) singer and as soon as I added her song from the singers database to the playlist Hoster crashed a second time.

I apologized to everyone that I could not show them there list for the rest of the night. I never reopened the singers database and there were no problems the rest of the night
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Stublack, good job!

Thank you for giving us the details you did. We'll look into this today. I'll post back here what we find.

If we can't duplicate and fix it right now, I'm sure there will be more reports, or even details from you that will allow us to eventually pinpoint the cause.
Our Staff Programmer spent several hours testing every way we could to duplicate your problem, but never crashed.

We'll keep this in our specs to see if others can add their different facts. Eventually, someone will make a post that will reveal the problem so we can duplicate it.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley3 View Post

I am having audio dropout's with both of my machines (that would be the regular and backup). I was running 5.0 on my Vista 64 machine but 5.0 was much too unstable to keep using it with Vista 64. I uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.32 and things are working a bit better. My backup computer is running Windows 7 and the audio dropout's are very noticeable. I have good sound cards Vista 64 uses Realtek High Def Audio (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS) and the Win7 (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6500)

Three other issues: 1. please, please, please remove the " border="0" alt="" />

2. I also had trouble with the singers dialog box and I see you fixed it today. Thank you.
I do not want to install 5.01 unless you believe it will not crash during a show and I am going to keep 4.32 on my main computer until I see more positive feedback. I enjoy all the changes and do not use Hoster to its fullest but I do use it 10 to 12 times a month. I do ton's of nursing homes, assisted living, and senior homes. The "old folks" love my shows but it gets a bit embarrassing when Hoster does not play nice.

3. Songs still go “negative” with the remove silence. I know you said you fixed this but I still see negative numbers tick by. Again, this is better but not fixed unless I need to do something with Vista 64 (no you do not get to comment on that).

All in all I am just a bit upset and I realize that there will be a few problems before it is perfect. Keep up the good work and together we will enjoy KJ for years to come.

tkelly3, thank you for your report. I have added 2 of your items to our Task Assigments spec.

As to your crashing, if you edit the Singers field in the Playlist, this causes crashing and 5.01 finally fixed this.

As to audio dropouts, you may have an outdated Device Driver for your audio card. Also, NVidia has ALWAYS given us grief, no matter what we do. We know there is currently a problem with NVidia and we are working on it. That card along with Vista is a bad combination for Hoster. Oops... sorry about the Vista, but Microsoft DID replace it VERY FAST with Windows 7....

Make sure you have done the MTU Recommended Changes to windows Vista at: http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster/v...de-hoster4.htm.

As to your #1 above, as you can see it simply isn't there. WHY? Because you use some other XML based editor to prepare your post, and then copy-paste it into the Forum Edit Window. Some of the XML code is not being handled.

PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE... in the future, just type in the text you want us to read. DO NOT copy/paste from some other editor.

Thank you.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKelley View Post
I have discovered what may be a few bugs

Audio only selections in the play list:

Selecting .WMA file leaves Dur field at 00:00 and does not increase the “Show Time” field. When the file is selected to play, Dur field populates with time and does not increase the “Show Time” field.
My guess is your WMA files have some DRM applied to them, such as happens if you use WMP to import them from an Audio CD.

Quote:
“Show Time” field does not count down as track plays, however it does update after a track is finished (except for .WMA files). I’m not sure if this is by design or a bug as the manual does not reflect one way or the other. The Dur field does countdown as usual.
Show Time is designed to update when the song ends. Too much going on computationally otherwise.

Quote:
Importing CD Tracks (CD-G’s):

Having the Scrolling Marquee active while importing CD Tracks (CD-G’s) seems to slow the import process by about 15%. Turning off (hiding) the Marquee definitely speeds up the process. Test was accomplished by importing the same disk 3 times: 2nd import Marquee scrolling, 17 tracks 6 min 15 seconds. 3rd import Marquee not scrolling, 17 tracks 5 min 20 seconds. Times will probably vary depending on processor speed, number of processor cores, and ram in use.
What are you using to import the CDG Discs? "Singers Disc" button, or "Import CD Tracks" screen?

Quote:
[color=black][size=3][font=Times New Roman]While attempting to import CD Tracks (CD-G’s) and editing the song title, I attempted to input “Tough” by Morgan, Craig, Hoster auto complete would only allow “Tough Enough” unless I placed a character at the end of the word. Example “Tough-
I don't think importing CDG tracks has anything to do with the Title auto-naming from our list. Try it again while not importing.

Title is a combo-box with a drop down list behind it to aid your naming. I'm surprised you can't highlight and delete the "Enough" and have it accepted. We have reworked this field several times (also Artist is the same), and I think this is an artifact of the combo-box "tool".
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I don't think importing CDG tracks has anything to do with the Title auto-naming from our list. Try it again while not importing.

Title is a combo-box with a drop down list behind it to aid your naming. I'm surprised you can't highlight and delete the "Enough" and have it accepted. We have reworked this field several times (also Artist is the same), and I think this is an artifact of the combo-box "tool".
I have the same problem only in the import from cd or HD. I try to eliminate ",The" at the end of all titles, but the auto fill in does not allow it, even if I highlight & delete it, when I tab to the next field, it automatically comes back.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:30 AM

I wasn't offended by what Roy said I did try to answer his question, but at that point I did not understand it.

I had no knowledge about the second way to get the singers songs nor did I care.

I now understand what he wanted me to try and I will try it tomorrow night I will let you know how it worked.

I hope I did not offend anyone else.

If this work around works for me then I will use it, it will take a little time to get used to. But if it doesn't I'll have to go back to a previous version, my singers are lost without there lists.

Thanks, Stu
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

EVERYONE!

Those who have installed 5.00 are experiencing crashing. We found the root cause of the crashes and it is fixed in 5.01.

YOU MUST upgrade to version 5.01.

We are discontinuing 5.00, and disabling it from being installed again. You MUST upgrade to 5.01.

Go to http://download.mtu.com/download.htm and download the installation file for version 5.01 of either Video Hoster or Video Hoster Lite, save it to your computer hard drive, then run the installation file and choose UPGRADE to replace your 5.00 with 5.01.

Last edited by admin; May 15th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

The above link doesn't seem to be working

Admin: Thank you Roy. My bad. It now works.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Probably because it says downloads instead of download.

This one works.

http://download.mtu.com/download.htm#VideoHoster

Last edited by Kobesdad; May 14th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Closed Thread