MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:35 AM

Plextor px-504UF

I saw in another thread that by a MTU moderator that said that the only Plextor dive that wouldn't work was the Plextor pxw504. So I am wondering if the Plextor PX-504UF or Plextor PX-504A will work for ripping and burnig CD+G's & MP3+G's.

Also, I noticed that CAVS makes a MP3+G disc that they said can only be played on a CAVS MP3 player. However, that seems to be a little bit of a marketing ploy considereing that the player is $600.00. Does anybody know if the MTU software and supported drives work with MP3+G's?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Audio X-Press
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:10 PM

There is no way to make any of the Plextor 504 models work. They were built by Ricoh, and marketed by Plextor. This was one of the only drives that Plextor didn't actually make. This is why it won't work.

We have no software as of yet, that will do anything with MP3+G.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:36 AM

So can you tell where to find a LIST of Plextor model numbers that will work? I know mtu.com has them for sale but I would still like to know the model numbers so I can research them myself on Plextor's website.

Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I didn't think so.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM

There's no possible way MTU could produce such a list.

The only Plextor burners they will certify to handle cdg are the ones they bench test and sell themselves.

With that in mind, just because the 52/24/52's that MTU sold would process cdg, you can't expect them to catagorically state that all those model burners would work. Therefore, no, such list.

George

Last edited by George; May 28th, 2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Wink Don't Need a List

Quote:
Originally posted by Audio X-Press
So can you tell where to find a LIST of Plextor model numbers that will work? I know mtu.com has them for sale but I would still like to know the model numbers so I can research them myself on Plextor's website.

Thanks!
You don't need a list to know which Plextor works with CDG, they all do except for the 504 models which were made by Ricoh. These model are probably capable of reading cdg using a different method than the conventional way MTU is doing but I beleive it's a question of time before MTU finds a way of reading cdg with the other method!

The conventional way MTU is doing is by far the most reliable way but it's always good to have an alternative.

PS- MTU may not have the latest driver to detect the latest Plextor models but I beleive they will shortly?

regards
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Wink Ricoh...

Quote:
Originally posted by MTUSUPPORT
There is no way to make any of the Plextor 504 models work. They were built by Ricoh, and marketed by Plextor. This was one of the only drives that Plextor didn't actually make. This is why it won't work.

We have no software as of yet, that will do anything with MP3+G.
For those who are interrested, this Plextor is actually the Ricoh MP5240A that could be found on the UK site because Ricoh doesn't sell cd-rom or dvd-rom under their own label in North America. This model is also as an OEM for AOpen DRW4410.

I own this Ricoh and it's an excellent burner.

regards
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Plextor px-504UF

Quote:
Originally posted by Audio X-Press
I saw in another thread that by a MTU moderator that said that the only Plextor dive that wouldn't work was the Plextor pxw504. So I am wondering if the Plextor PX-504UF or Plextor PX-504A will work for ripping and burnig CD+G's & MP3+G's.

Also, I noticed that CAVS makes a MP3+G disc that they said can only be played on a CAVS MP3 player. However, that seems to be a little bit of a marketing ploy considereing that the player is $600.00. Does anybody know if the MTU software and supported drives work with MP3+G's?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Audio X-Press
MP3+G is a combination of 2 files: a .mp3 that is the audio only, and a .cdg that is the graphic/lyric rw code only. This is not a standard DISC format. Thus, there is no drive the can read/write these as a CDG type format. Any drive can write them as a CDROM data disc. Hope this helps.

Cavs uses a proprietary MPG format. It is a derrivative of the MP3+G, but it is not directly the same to our knowledge. That... is why they sell the drive so expensively. Its sort of the reverse of giving away the handle to sell the razor blades.

MTU CDR/DVDR drives are certified to read/write the CDG disc format. They also can read/write any other format, but again... MP3+G is NOT a disc format like the CD+Graphics disc. Hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Administrator

The list is...

Quote:
Originally posted by George
just because the 52/24/52's that MTU sold would process cdg, you can't expect them to catagorically state that all those model burners would work. Therefore, no, such list.

George
George is exactly right. However, you can say every Plextor drive except the 504 series is supported by Microstudio. However, please read our warnings below the drives description about testing CDR drives. We DO NOT recommend any drive or drive model that we do not test and ship. Think of us as you wish. We used to do this, and WAY TOO often someone would buy what "MTU recommended" and get a dud.

That is exactly what we warn about. You can buy the same model we do and it might work perfectly, or it might not. It has to be certified and the bad drives returned. I hope that clearifies your question. If you are a tech guru, then buy your own drive. We don't make enough money to care either way. However, if your drive doesn't work, just make sure you can return it. If you want a guarantee, buy an MTU drive. Its really simple in the final analysis. Folks that need hand holding, we are there for them. Our drive prices include our CDG KARAOKE KNOWLEDGEABLE SUPPORT. If you don't need us, great! Microstudio will do your job with your drive... if your drive works for CDG use.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:56 PM

Quote by MTUSupport:
There is no way to make any of the Plextor 504 models work. They were built by Ricoh, and marketed by Plextor. This was one of the only drives that Plextor didn't actually make. This is why it won't work

Just to say that this Plextor (OEM from Ricoh) is actually capable of reading & backing up cdg.

The reason I'm coming back on this issue is that if anyone has this Plextor or the Aopen 4410 which are from Ricoh, all you need to back up your cdg's is Alcohol 120%. I found out about this software in the MTU forum and I love it to back up my DVD's and I tested my Aopen & I can confirm that it burns just has good as my Plextor 48X with out ANY broken letters.

I don't believe recommending this software will do any damage to MTU because it's not a player, but what a great tool to have if you have a DVD-RW!!

regards