MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old June 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Hoster 5.x Question ...

I installed Hoster 5.x on Sunday. I have not had a problem with it yet running mock shows (don't have a show until Thursday) and so far I like most of the changes.

However, I do have a question: Why did they remove the "Search" button from the "Search Songs Database" screen?

After typing in the song/artist name, I now have to remember to press "Enter" to get it to search. I also learned that I can initiate a search by moving my mouse pointer away from this screen and out into the singers screen and left click to get it to search!

It really doesn't make any sense (in my feebled mind) to have removed it. There's still plenty of room on this screen for the button!!!

Did I miss something somewhere?
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Hoster 5.x Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kod View Post
I installed Hoster 5.x on Sunday. I have not had a problem with it yet running mock shows (don't have a show until Thursday) and so far I like most of the changes.

However, I do have a question: Why did they remove the "Search" button from the "Search Songs Database" screen?

After typing in the song/artist name, I now have to remember to press "Enter" to get it to search. I also learned that I can initiate a search by moving my mouse pointer away from this screen and out into the singers screen and left click to get it to search!

It really doesn't make any sense (in my feebled mind) to have removed it. There's still plenty of room on this screen for the button!!!

Actually in the earlier versions you could do it both ways, by hitting enter and by clicking on find. Since you are typing in the search criteria anyway then the natural progression would be to hit Enter.
During the development for 5.00 there was a space problem, so the button was removed, since you can use the Enter.
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Dale,

Apparently I'm not normal... I always use the mouse "click" and have been doing it that way over a year.

Guess I don't have any choice now, but I still don't see why the button was removed! There appears to be enough room there to include it...

I don't need that manila envelope icon and just don't understand why it was put there. I keep the Singers Database open throughout the show and don't need a second way to get there...

IMHO it just doesn't make sense!
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM
VIP

Lot of people do like that little manilla envelope.
I never really used the search button, but do wish that the field would clear out automatically after a search.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dale,

Apparently I'm not normal... I always use the mouse "click" and have been doing it that way over a year.

Guess I don't have any choice now, but I still don't see why the button was removed! There appears to be enough room there to include it...

I don't need that manila envelope icon and just don't understand why it was put there. I keep the Singers Database open throughout the show and don't need a second way to get there...

First let me say I am not the one making these decisions. As I said it was removed at the time due to constraints of space. That may not be the way the final product ended up, but I doubt they will put it back right now.
The folder was added so you would not need to have both Search and the Singers Database open. The only reason the other button was left was so you would have the editting capability. You may not like it but many do.
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dale,

I love the manila envelope way to view the singer list while the show is running as you can size that window much narrower than the normal singer dialog, I can get the 3 windows Main, Search & Singer right across my desktop (15.6 Wide screen) and space below for BA window open all the time as shown in my attachment. When wanting to add songs from a singers list it is not necessary to see all the other data although you can by using the scroll bar. I only use the old singer list for editing when not doing a show.
You can narrow the header column for disc ID if you don't think that is really necessary so as to widen the song list column but keep the dialog narrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoster Main.jpg (494.4 KB, 18 views)
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:12 AM

I, too miss the "search" button. I'd vote for having it back.
Old July 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:

If you look at the MINIMIZED size of this dialog, you will see ther isn't room for a SEARCH button, without extending the dialog right edge and making its default size larger.

The possible empty space above the "Skip" checkbox is used when you have a second audio card; the Preview Play controls appear there.

So, we have 3 ways to trigger the search now, instead of the one earlier.