MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Frequent Member

I'm gonna redo my list with a few changes.
B]Good Discs[/b]
Chart Busters
Sound Choice
Pop Hits Monthly, Rock & Nashville (Stellar Records)
Priddis
DK
Radio Starz
Ameri-Sing
Pioneer- If you can get them
KJTOOLS- made by Nutech
Star Disc (MTU rated based on massive user feedback) except for duet problems- they did not indicate who sings on picture by sheryl crow and kid rock- my only gripe with this brand.

Hit or Miss
Legends
Tip Top
Pocket Songs
Backstage
Sweet Georgia Brown (many users consider this the worst music)
Top Tunes (moved due to a new experience with these discs)

Bad Discs
Nikkodo (discontinued/out of business. Their timing was modified from the CDG standard creating problems)
Music Maestro
SunFly
Nutech- sound quality only. CHoice of music is good.
Super Star Karaoke- only because it is all multiplex karaoke otherwise it would fall in the good section
Old March 6th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hello danny_g
Reading your listings I have never heard of KJTOOLS by Nutech.
I have all the Nutech discs, are these different from the original Nutech ones? And where are they available?
Regards from across the pond
Garry
Old March 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry A. Leslie
Hello danny_g
Reading your listings I have never heard of KJTOOLS by Nutech.
I have all the Nutech discs, are these different from the original Nutech ones? And where are they available?
Regards from across the pond
Garry
the discs from KJTOOLS are avialable in three different packs now. KJTOOLS PLUS, KARAOKE HITS PACK, and is also available in the Supercore pack as well. you can find these at www.KARAOKE.com Your best bet is the Supercore because it contains current hits as well as older stuff.

Supercore contains track made by Amerising, Pop HIts Today, Country hits today, Country Hits Monthly, Country Hit List, Radio Starz, Rising STar and All HIts. BUt it mostly contains Amerising.
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up SAV

My choice would be similar to danny_g except for the SAV line from Nutech. I find some of them to be excellent even know the recording is low, I have some that sounds better than my DK's from my Encore 1 set.

This brand is hard too judge, they have Nikkodo, Nutech, SAV-A for Country, SAV-P and Backstage...

If you stick to the SAV it will be good and the key is always right to sing on! Most of the time the arrangement is different but pleasant.

The info I have is that they're not out of business? In fact, they own Backstage???
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Frequent Member

Re: SAV

Quote:
Originally posted by mlepine
My choice would be similar to danny_g except for the SAV line from Nutech. I find some of them to be excellent even know the recording is low, I have some that sounds better than my DK's from my Encore 1 set.

This brand is hard too judge, they have Nikkodo, Nutech, SAV-A for Country, SAV-P and Backstage...

If you stick to the SAV it will be good and the key is always right to sing on! Most of the time the arrangement is different but pleasant.

The info I have is that they're not out of business? In fact, they own Backstage???
SAV always in the right key- not! well maybe if you sing bass lol.
Both Open arms and Oh Sherrie are way too low. My opinion is record it in the original key and if you need to change it to sing it use the keychanger that is what it is there for.

Nutech's audio was too low but they fixed that when KJTOOLS came out. Just wish they'd go back and rerelease their original set after raising their volume to match the levels used for KJTOOLS and the last two addons to the sav-A pack.
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Exclamation Correct Key

Your correct danny_g,

I should have said always on MY key!! Open Arms is on my key but not on the original key. The same would apply with the Beatles.

Yes, it would be nice if they would go back and record all their SAV with the correct volume level.

Regards
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:21 AM

ONly bad things are..

I like Sweet georgia brown I can get them realitivly cost effective and they dont sound bad, of course chartbuster and sound choice are good. I bought sunfly and it was like my 2 yr old nephew banging on bells! I heard that the guy for SGB doesnt pay royalties on his disk and that sucks! I am from a union family and I guess its that side of me that if he dont pay the roylaties then i should boycot him. Can I be charged for the royalties then or is it his problem? ehhhh just makes me uncomfortable. But other than this I like the list in the first post.

What are the hit or miss? should I take a chance? DOes anyone have a hit or miss disk that hits? can you tell us what it is so I can look for it? LOL

THANKS
Rich
Dr Karaoke
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:29 AM

oh yea

I think HONKY CAT BLOWS BIG CHUNKS!!!!! LOL
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Re: ONly bad things are..

Quote:
Originally posted by gotrich
I like Sweet georgia brown I can get them realitivly cost effective and they dont sound bad, of course chartbuster and sound choice are good. I bought sunfly and it was like my 2 yr old nephew banging on bells! I heard that the guy for SGB doesnt pay royalties on his disk and that sucks! I am from a union family and I guess its that side of me that if he dont pay the roylaties then i should boycot him. Can I be charged for the royalties then or is it his problem? ehhhh just makes me uncomfortable. But other than this I like the list in the first post.

What are the hit or miss? should I take a chance? DOes anyone have a hit or miss disk that hits? can you tell us what it is so I can look for it? LOL

THANKS
Rich
Dr Karaoke
It looks like 7 companies didn't pay their loyalties so it's not just sgb it also includes Sound Choice!!
I find SGB to be the worst I tried so far with the All Hits 2000.

regards
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM

so far I have

So far I have SGB, Star Disk, Chartbuster, Sound Choice, Karaoke Party, Top TUnes, Top Hits montly, sunfly, & Hot Line. I

CHartbuster
SoiundChoice
Music Maestro
StarDisk
Top Hits Monthly
Top Tunes (bought onlt 1 Tobly keith disk but good sound)

OK
Karaoke Party

BAD
Sunfly
Hot Line

Can I suggest that when people dislike a brand tell us why Sound, lyrics, sweeping???? whats wrong with it? I bought the SGB 66 disk set and am happy.

Music Maestro good sound, lyrics are good from what I see, sweeping is a little off.

Sunfly and Hotline like I said before sound like a kids banging on fisher price bells!

NOTE: If anyone fins Angry american/coutesy red,white, and blue by toby keith that doesnt have a quick tempo let me know!

THANKS
Rich
Dr Karaoke
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Frequent Member

Re: so far I have

Quote:
Originally posted by gotrich
So far I have SGB, Star Disk, Chartbuster, Sound Choice, Karaoke Party, Top TUnes, Top Hits montly, sunfly, & Hot Line. I

CHartbuster
SoiundChoice
Music Maestro
StarDisk
Top Hits Monthly
Top Tunes (bought onlt 1 Tobly keith disk but good sound)

OK
Karaoke Party

BAD
Sunfly
Hot Line

Can I suggest that when people dislike a brand tell us why Sound, lyrics, sweeping???? whats wrong with it? I bought the SGB 66 disk set and am happy.

Music Maestro good sound, lyrics are good from what I see, sweeping is a little off.

Sunfly and Hotline like I said before sound like a kids banging on fisher price bells!

NOTE: If anyone fins Angry american/coutesy red,white, and blue by toby keith that doesnt have a quick tempo let me know!

THANKS
Rich
Dr Karaoke
sgb set totally of some tunes ok or others- I hate their version of Remember Me by Journey as it in no way is like what I used to learn the song they even shortened the guitar solo part and blew the ending because of their stupid advertising at the end. At least Sound choice waits til the music stops on songs the vocals go to the end of the song- SGB edits the vocals to fit their ad in at the end.
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Exclamation Sunfly

I only have one cdg of Sunfly which is Spandau Ballet & I must say it's excellent on the song "Gold" & "True"

I must have at least 20 cdg's of All Hits 2000 all of them have very bad sounds.

I don't think we can say one brand is good or bad, they're all capable of doing good or bad arrangements. I just find that Sound Choice are alone in their class when it comes to the quality or the arrangements & recording. Chartbuster are not always as good and they have to much output (gain) compare with the others.

Regards
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM

All capable of Good Sounds?

Quote from Mlepine:

I don't think we can say one brand is good or bad, they're all capable of doing good or bad arrangements.

I don't want to disagree. However, I have to add my anti-testimonial.

Music Maestro consistently has a fake sound on all the discs that I have. Every now and then I have a song on MM that I don't have somewhere else so I keep the discs, but the brand sends shivers up my spine!!
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Re: All capable of Good Sounds?

Quote:
Originally posted by jahern
Music Maestro consistently has a fake sound on all the discs that I have. Every now and then I have a song on MM that I don't have somewhere else so I keep the discs, but the brand sends shivers up my spine!! [/b]
I have all the original CDG's from 1995 and I totally agree about MM cheap sound. There stuff is likely a collection of MIDI arrangements which are all synthesized. They do have some songs that I want to keep but I often felt like dumping them all. Actually some songs are good and sound like "real" musicians in the studio.

My local karaoke store says that MM has changed and now have better sound but should I waste my money on MM new stuff? I just asked the store for a RAP cdg that's current and they suggested MM6380 which is 2 for 1 for $18. Anyone have this and is it ok or should I get the $25 SC8797?

Steve
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM

MM

Steve,

Can't say about the rap stuff, I personally don't try to buy much of it. And I am pretty much a SC fan myself, however I have many 50's & 60's versions of songs on MM that are actually better than SC's. They sound more like the original version. Every company out there has it minus and plus. Except for SGB and I have to honestly say I have yet to find any pluses with them.

Kelly
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Hello Kelly,
This arguement about the good and bad disc manufactureer's has been on going for some years now, in these forums.
I am sure that some companies have improved and some deteriorated.
Some of the very bad ones have even disappeared.
It's obvious from this thread that different views are held and which might differ from others.
As for SGB the very best version of Sinatra's "Fly me to the Moon"
is on this label together with some really good Show Standards.
I think we are all into very different material to sing ourselves as opposed to what we have to have to please our customers.and what some people wouldn't be interested in appears on labels we also despise. They might even be good.
It might be worth starting a thread actually finding out what contributors sing themselves, what their styles are and which labels actually produce the best sounds for their own singing..
Also which original CD's have produced the best vocal reduction in Vogone for their own use.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Incidentally I also meant to say I have found Music Maestro the most disappointing especially taking into account their cost
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM

maybe its just new stuff

I have only been a KJ for 3-6 months now so all my stuff is new. I thought SGB pack sounded as good as my Chartbuster pack. chartbuster has more volume though. Only difference is chartbuster is much better on screen the males are blue femals pink they hav the 4 dots for timing before the next line of words...they do a better job on those things. I also noticed that some of the SGB is shortened but the (does it sound like the cd or radio) they are close. Maybe I got lucky??? LOL

Rich
Dr Karaoke
NW Indiana
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Different Versions

Most of my collection is Sound Choice, Chartbusters and then Music Maestro. A few others mixed in. I don't carry dupes in my Hoster. I only keep one version of each song. What I do though is always try to keep the version that I feel most replicates the original. I realize everyone has their favorites. And I didn't mean to "rain" on anyone who has SGB, I just don't feel their quality to be all that great. Price has never been a real factor for me for I buy 99% of my music off of ebay. Some new, some used. (All original though) I myself sing a lot of 50's and 60's. And though I find a lot of SC to be great, there are many of MM that are so close to the orignal music and style that SC doesn't hold a candle. A couple that come to mind are, Louie Louie, Unchanied Melody, these sound great on Music Maestro but the SC version just doesn't cut it.

Just some thoughts.

Kelly
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:40 PM

That must be it

Most of my Music Maestro is oldies of the ones you mention. I bought the music maestro gold pack and its been good to me. After readin this post I took my Chartbuster essential and my music maestro. I found cd's that had the same song. I could hear a difference but it was so slight that if I didnt lesten to then naext to each other I would have never noticed. Chartbuster was slightly richer but like I said..not a big difference. Music maestro gold pack, chartbuster essentials, and sweet georiga brown 66 disk pack are some of my biggest packs..I want the DK millenum, and the rest of the essential packs I dont have. DOes anyone recomend any Must have packs?