MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:52 AM

Hello All,
Further to a thread I entered some time ago, I bought some Music Maestro packs of showtunes and standards from one of the karaoke firms in Buffalo, N.Y. which wouldn't play in a number of CDG karaoke and DVD compatable players but would play in my computer.
The firm sent me replacements which also didn't work so I copied them using Microstudio and the copies play in any machine.
I was really disappointed with the quality of these discs with synthetic music sounds, because a lot of the tunes were big band arrangements, which are much worse than small group or piano accompanyments using midi files even.
I have found Nikkodo and Nutech (the same firm?) pretty good especially country music.
I think most firms have high and low spots and have often been either pleasantly suprised or disappointed by discs which have been panned or praised by others.
Regards from the UK
Garry
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Pioneer and Sound Choice have the best performances and studio sound quality on a consistant basis! I own CDG's from all manufacturers and I have listened to and sang with them all over the past 17 years. My experience goes back to the very first laser discs before CDG's were invented. I first sang karaoke in Japan in the mid 80's where they used large laser disc changers and before it hit strong in the USA. Prior to that you had to sing karaoke to cassette tapes with lyrics sheets which I did in the early days. We all have our own opinions on which manufacturers are best but mine hasn't wavered since the beginning.

Steve
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Frequent Member

Re: Re: I'll add a little fuel to the fire...

Quote:
Originally posted by danny_g
I'm sorry mike but the Sound Choice version of Faithfully while it has the best Audio quality it leaves a lot to be desired in lyric accuracy. So far the only perfect lyric quailty on Faithfully has been the one put out by Priddis.
SC did a better version on their Foundation 2 version- if this is the version that appeared on SC2269 it is still a better version than the one they put out on the Spotlight series.
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Frequent Member

[quote]Originally posted by mlepine

"I know you guy's will say he doesn't know anything by ranking BMB/Nutech so hight, well the arrangement are not at all like the original and it's the reason I like it plus the key is always good, from the Beatles to Air Supply to Elvis...

I don't agree with someone that said it sound like a Midi File, I don't know the equipment you're using but it's not thru. The volume is in fact low but with a good console you just need to boost the volume of the music!

Nutech sounds like midi because that is what was used to create their audio portion. The background Vocals were dubbed over the midi files to complete the audio. I know a buddy who used to work for Nutech. They have improved with their hot stuff packs though. and the last two nikkodo a series discs.

You want great country and a great replacement policy then Chartbusters is the way to go.
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Chartbuster!

Dany_G,
I would agree with that overall. My only problem with Chartbuster is sometimes the back-up vocals are overpowering. For example, Alabama - Lady DOwn on luck, from the Essential 450 Vol 3 series. But I'm not knocking them at all. I have all 3 sets and I promise you they get a lot of use. Yes, they do have a great return policy as well...
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Chartbuster is the best deal!
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:10 PM

Angry Bad Experience...

Just wanted to share with you an experience I had yesterday when buying a Pocket Song JTG 205 (Elton John) double set.

I played the first cd and notice some difference in the sound level and track #7 started for 1 sec than went mute than started again for real but the real funny part was when I went to play the second cd, when I played the cd it wasn't a Karaoke cd but a rap cd music with someone singing & It didn't sound like Elton!

This cdg was brand new never open, of course I brought it back & got my money back but it's just to say that even a good brand is capable of doing stupidity!
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:45 PM

what happened? all our wisdom is used up?

Steve
Old January 6th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Instrumental arrangements

I think a step not mentioned (in the volumes of posts that admittedly I may have scanned over on some) is instrumentals without graphics.

I do Spanish karaoke a lot, even though I'm caucasian English speaking. (I have learned Spanish and spent two years as a missionary in Colombia)

There is an abundance of Spanish materials just waiting for the graphics to be added. I frankly don't know where people get their English non-graphic instrumentals.

I have used Multi-pista and Discos Fuentes

I prefer the latter.

Any comments or questions?
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Jahern,

Several of us on the forums are using MIDI's. Don't cringe

Most midis get a bum rap seeming to sound rather crappy, but it's due to the limitation of the midi player in the p.c..Most only receive 8 or 9 instruments or so.

The Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas. is a midi editor that can process GM1, GM2, or GS formats. It is equpped to handle 16 parts, 128 voices,and 902 sounds and drum sets.

You can replace instruments with different instruments, or enhance the quality of an existing instrument. You can totally remove lead instruments leaving true background instrumentation for Karaoke use. I save tracks both ways, one for demo tracks ,and one for Karaoke.

The software converts your finished product to .wav, and it's amazing what some of them sound like. Some of these guys do take a lot pf pains sequencing their work. Too bad the midi players built in to the pc's don't do them justice.

With this product you would be limited in making your own cdg's only to the availability of Latin music in MIDI.

This product coupled with an audio editor such as Goldwave truly
lets you construct Karaoke tracks exactly as you want them. I know you're familiar with audio editing. I believe I've seen you refer to it a time or two.

The VSC and Goldwave are perfect compliments to KhP.

Another thing I've done to some degree of success is to use instrumentals and take out or reduce the lead instrument with Vogone. It doesn't always work, subject to the same limitations of vocal removal, but when it does work, it's great. No need to compete with the lead sax.

Hope that partly answers your question.

Take care,

George
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:19 AM

and then there was the cdg I bought for an eagles song, put it in the player, and graphics appear saying "This song was deleted Due to the request of Glen Frye......"
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:45 AM

...and the cdg tracks that pop up on the screen and say they couldn't get the rights to use the lyrics, but they put it on the disc anyway...
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM

I do notice big differences in a lot of the cdgs I own, Chartbuster is what I would rate as the best, Sound Choice a close second if you don't know the difference in the songs. Me I sing a lot of Johnny Cash and two examples that I would cite are Sunday Morning coming Down and A Boy Named Sue. The difference is so phenominal that I cannot sing the Sound Choice versions of either I have a SGB of Boy named Sue that is better than the SC, Now the Ballad of Ira Hayes and Give my Love to Rose are excellent in SC. If I had it to do over again I would buy all Chartbuster and leave the rest alone. Don't get me wrong I have a bunch of music that I do like better than CB one that comes to mind is J B Goode, but that is on a MM it's the only true lyric version I have run into. example CB "millions of people" MM version "many people" example CB " someday you'll be a man" MM "his momma said someday you'll be a man" I do have a lot of the Star Series SC and a lot of people like them, but not the ones that have sang the CB versions. I got sucked in on the el cheapo SAV A and Ps but there is a few of the oldies on them that makes it worthwhile. Don't like the graphics coming up a page at a time and not highlighting. I can sing a lot of the oldies that do this the music is so so but if you know the Qs you can get along but that is not what Karaoke is about for the average singer, in a bar.
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I started out with pioneer laserdiscs which I still use.
Then got into cd+g with DK disks - loads of songs on them you cant get now, well not here in the UK anyway.
Now I mainly get sunfly discs as they are out regularly. I cant understand the problem with them from other posters with the quality. I wonder if we get different discs over here.

Quote:
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!- Edmund Blackadder
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM

That Big Band Sound

I recently picked up a four disc compilation by Pocket Songs of Frank Sinatra tunes. I got it for a bargain, but I must say that this is an uneven mix. Some songs have a kicking legitimate Big Band sound; others are clearly sythesized instruments. (even songs from the same original discs are not orchestrated similarly)

The Pioneer CDGs that I have and the LD's that I remember always seem to have real instruments. Anybody else??
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Angry Pocket Songs

I find Pocket Songs capable of the best & the worst on the same cd!!
They make me think of Backstage.

I recently bought a All Hits CDG that had the song Suite Madame Blue from Styx, well guess what, in the instrumental portion & where they sing America... it's the original Styx version playing!!
They just cut & paste!

I find that lately beside Chartbuster & Sound Choice, quality is going down or perhaps it's me getting more sensitive??

Regards
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM

is anyone having a problem loading the last song off of chartbuster disk into hoster.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Yep,
Any newly processed chartbuster, sound choice, and top tunes are using multisession processing.

I have had to use microstudio to "remake" the disk to get them into hoster.
Old March 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM

CD Rankings

My favorite brands are:

DK
Pioneer
Sound Choice
Pop Hits
Pocket Songs
All Hits
Star Disk

Dislike

Monster Hits
Top hits Monthly
Sunfly
Sweet Georgia Brown - You never really know the quality until you buy them. Some are great some are bad!!!
Honky Cat - Made only with MIDI - at least the one I've bought
legends
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM

My Favorite Brands In Order:

Chartbuster - Country
Pioneer CDG's - Rock & Country
Priddis - All
Sound Choice - All
Monster Hits - All

Least Favorite:
All Hits
Backstage
Sweet Georgia Brown

Sound Choice is of good quality with regards to sound, but the reason they are 4th on my buy list is due to their media quality and customer service (or lack there of)

If I had it to do over again I would go with Chartbusters Essentials packs. Hard to beat their deal!