MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 12th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Frequent Member

Brian......

After thought.....regarding Firmware Updates...

In a software Update, Adaptac Enabled a copy protection scheme that would keep you from copying discs before the update.

This was pointed out by one of the forum members and buried in the license text.

So he was warning us NOT TO UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE if you still want to be able to copy discs, with that particular software.

THE QUESTION ARISES......REGARDING FIRMWARE UPGRADES AND THE INTRODUCTION OF COPY PROTECTION.

APPARENTLY IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE ON A PIONEER DVD UNIT, BUT THE HACKERS ALREADY HAVE DEFEATED IT.

SO, I GUESS BEFORE WE DO A FIRMWARE UPGRADE, WE BETTER HAVE A BACK UP OF THE CURRENT VERSION, JUST IN CASE.

JUST RAN INTO THIS ARTICLE REGARDING PROPOSED COPY PROTECTION FOR HARD DRIVES.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/15718.html

DON'T GET RID OF THAT OLD SCSI YAMAHA, ONLY SOME OF THE OLDER SCSI PLEXTOR'S CAN COPY SOUND CHOICE "MEDIA CLOQ" COPY PROTECTION, EXTRACTING THE TRACKS OUT AS SECTORS USING GOLDHENHAWK.

WOULD BE INTERESTING IF YOU GET A MEDIA CLOQ DISC TO SEE IF THE YAMAHA SCSI CAN READ IT.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM

multisession copying

Hi
I tried to find the files for my old firmware version but could not find where it was kept. so I am affraid I did not back my old version up. So is there any way to retreive it or has it been completely overwritten.
I have got some sound choice discs that I have succesfully copied only one track where the texted lyrics was broken up but was all right on the original.
these are the sound choice disc numbers of the ones i have copied succesfully.
hope this is of help to others who are having problems.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:50 AM

I'd thing the old firmware would still be on the cd that came with the burner, which you could re-install if ever need be.

George
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:52 AM

multisession copying

I did not get a disc with my scsi drive only cd creator sofware
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Frequent Member

Brian.......

All the SoundChoice you have, have no Media Cloq.

The Media Cloq started appearing on a lot of the 8700 Series.

I look at at my Yamaha and Plextor CD's that came with the Units, only see Software on the CD's (NO FIRMWARE).

Some Hardware Supplies have Older Versions of the Firmware still available for download, but not all.

So you still copy with the 1.0j upgrade, just besure you keep a backup copy of this version, before upgrading to a new version.
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Depending on your os, wouldn't picking a restore point prior to the firmware upgrade get you back where you were for back up purposes ?

As far as making a backup of a drive's firmware,,I'll defer to KJZONE's capable hands, and learn something new myself.

George
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Frequent Member

Don't think picking a re-store point will work, because when you update the firmware, you acutally "Flash a Bios Chip" within the CD-RW it'self.
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Gotcha, but then how would a back up of existing firmware be accomplished? May need this for down the road sometime depending on the industry climate.
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally posted by George
Gotcha, but then how would a back up of existing firmware be accomplished? May need this for down the road sometime depending on the industry climate.
Don't think you can backup your current firmware already flashed in the CD-RW unit.

If you click on My Computer, Properties, Device Manager, CD-Rom, then the Properties of the CD-RW, then the settings TAB, you will see the Current Firmware Version.

Let's say it says v1.04.

Go back to manufacture's site and download, v1.04, maybe v1.03, etc. Save them it for a rainy day.
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Gotcha, Brian may need this info also.

Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Frequent Member

Just thought of something.....

My current Plextor W-2410TA has firmware v1.04.
(Which I have a back up of.)

Was wondering if v1.04 would let me install v1.03 or not.
NEVER HAVE TRIED IT.

I know if you have windows 98SE it won't let you install windows 98, cause I have tried that.

A VERSION....... PREVIOUS TO THE CURRENT VERSION

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Looks promising at least from Plextor.....here is a link on my Plextor for Older Version Firmware.

http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo..._2410_old.html
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:29 PM

firware update

Just been back to the yamaha site they only have the new firmware upgrade.
Anyway thanks a lot for all of you for helping me with my problems.

Happy New Year to you all.
Old January 12th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Frequent Member

Just found this tid bit of news regarding firmware updates and copy protection......Looks like they are doing it.

CDRSOFT.NET published a very interesting piece on how the latest Plextor PX-W124TS & PX-W1210A firmware upgrades are "not able" to backup SafeDisc v2 protected CD's but that older firmware versions can!

They suspect that Plextor has made a deal with Macrovision not to support SafeDisc v2.

Just by downgrading the firmware to version 1.04 "solves" this problem and SafeDisc v2 protected CD's can easily be copied using CloneCD:

Plextor PX-W1210A v1.04 Firmware
Plextor PX-W124TS v1.04 Firmware

Old January 12th, 2003, 01:01 PM

c_dilla

Just as a matter of interest i was looking at an artical about c_dila and this loks like a copy protection file which i appear to have on my computer can sombody tell me if this is correct or have i got this wrong.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Frequent Member

Re: c_dilla

Quote:
Originally posted by BRIAN
Just as a matter of interest i was looking at an article about c_dila and this looks like a copy protection file which I appear to have on my computer can somebody tell me if this is correct or have I got this wrong.
Do not understand what you are saying.

1. What do you mean c_dila looks like a copy protectin on your computer.
2. Where on your compter?
3. Just check my XXClony and can't find any reference to a copy protectin scheme called c_dila.

P.S. Maurice Gibbs of the group Bee Gee's died today at age 53.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/ae/jump/1733087
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:20 PM

c_dilla

http://www.privacyandspying.com/privacy-c_dilla.html

found the above, plus some others with internet search. haven't read yet, will do so shortly.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:51 PM

C_DILLA

I found this whilst looking in my remove program utillity in control panel.
After doing a search the decsription i got when looking at the properties of the file is as follows.
Data Lifeguard.
Files Data Lifeguard NT.
Data Lifeguard MFC Application.
Does this help.
Have not noticed this on my pc before.
I wonder if it got downloaded from Microsoft as i have udate on all the time.
Old January 12th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Frequent Member

Brian.........re: c-dilla

It appears this is a copy protection software from Macrovision that has been installed on your computer, via a download or spyware.

It keeps you from making copies of certain CD's that have certain copy protections on them.

Found a website says it appears in your registry under the name of "c-dilla".

You should be able to use any of the many registry editors to "Find" any registry keys that contain the name "c-dilla", each one of these has to be "deleted"

Make a back up of your current registry, even though it has the c-dilla in it, in case you delete some key other than a c-dilla key.
At least you can get back to where you were.

STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS RUN A FIREWALL, SUCH AS ZONE ALARM OR BLACK ICE, WHILE ON THE INTERNET.

ALWAYS DOWNLOAD TO A FOLDER YOU CAN SCAN WITH A "DAT "CURRENT VIRUS PROGRAM AND TROJAN PROGRAM, BEFORE RUNNING.

Last edited by kjzone; January 12th, 2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old January 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM

C_dilla

I am using Nortons antivirus and firewall which are both active all the time.
Well i did run it a couple of time with the firewall inactive.
How do i back up my registry Ive forgotton.
So if i go into regedit and use find for c_dilla and delete every occurance will this be ok.
So its no good going to remove program files in control panel and uninstall it from there.
Old January 12th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Frequent Member

Brian...........

Here's a link to a neat little RegFind Program called RegFind v1.0.5. You can see this program has a 100% rating.

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-37...ml?tag=lst-3-4

Download the program, run it, just put in c-dilla and it should find every registry key that has this name in it. Keeping the program open you open at the Start Run Menu "regedit"

Then using regit edit you go to every key displayed in RegFind and right mouse click on it and select delete. Do this of each entry, some entries when you delete one key, it also deletes a matching twin of it in another key. So after I delete a couple of keys, I run RegFind again to make sure I'm getting them all.

Backing up your registry........here's the way I do it, WIN 98se

Under my Documents I created a Folder called "My Registry Backups"

Next under Strart, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, you will find System Information.......open this.

Go to tools and run Registry Checker, if no errors, it will say do you want to back up, say yes. This is stored as a "Cab" file under a hidden folder in windows call "Sysbckup", to see it you have to go to My Computer, select View Tab at the top, select "Folder Options" Select "View" Tab and under Hidden Files check "Show All Files"

Note: Windows only stores 5 cab files, from the last 5 times your computer started correctly.

THIS IS ONE BACK UP........BUT NOW GO TO START-RUN AND PUT IN REGEDIT.....WHEN THIS OPENS GO UP TO "REGISTRY" AND CLICK ON AND SELECT "EXPORT" TO, YOU LEAD IT TO MY DOCUMENTS, MY REGISTRY BACKUPS AND SAY FOR A FILE NAME I USE THE DATE, SAY TODAY I WOULD PUT IN 01.12.2003, make sure you have under "Export Range" ALL CHECKED. AND NEXT CLICK ON "SAVE" YOU NOW HAVE A BACK UP IN THE SYSBCKUP FOLDER AS WELL AS "MY DOCUMENTS"

TO RESTORE YOUR REGISTRY AT ANY POINT I JUST GO TO MY REGISTRY BACKUPS, DOUBLE CLICK ON A DATE, YOU WILL GET A MESSAGE ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO RESTORE THE REGISTRY FOR THIS DATE, YOU SAY YES, YOU SHOULD THEN GET A MESSAGE THE REGISTRY HAS BEEN RESTORED AND YOU MUST RE-BOOT YOUR COMPUTER.

NOTE: MY METHOD STORES AS MANY BACKUPS OF YOUR REGISTRY AS YOU WANT.

IF YOU ARE LOCKED OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER, YOU USE YOUR START UP DISC, TRANSFERRING THE SYSTEM TO C: TAKE OUT THE START UP DISC, RE-BOOT THE COMPUTER IN THE SAFE MODE, GO TO MY REGISTRY BACKUPS, DOUBLE CLICK ON A REGISTRY DATE, AND RE-BOOT, YOU SHOULD THEN BE BACK IN.

NOTE: You can also restore your registry under Dos, at the command prompt type: SCANREG /RESTORE
At which time you will be give the last 5 CAB's to choose from when your computer booted properly.

I BACK UP MY REGISTRY BEFORE I INSTALL ANY NEW SOFTWARE AND YOU CAN MAKE A NOTE WHEN YOU SAVE, SUCH AS
SAVE FILE AS: 01.12.2003 REG BEFORE INSTALLING MICROSOFT WORKS, ETC.

ANY QUESTIONS.......LET ME KNOW