MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old June 5th, 2021, 06:08 PM

Red face Transfer Hoster from one laptop to another

A simple process I\'m sure but just refresh my memory as to how to remove Hoster completely from one laptop and install on another, including song files which unfortunately, I do not have on a separate hard drive.

My gratitude as always.

Sincerely
Lloyd Tk

Toshiba Satellite A100 Laptop, 4gb ram with Hoster 5.07
Old June 9th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Transfer Hoster from one laptop to another

My advice would be to get yourself an external hard drive, they are relatively cheap now. Then copy all your music files to it.
Then follow Waltr advice and create a backup file of Hoster from the Help Menu/ Backup/Restore, you can create the backup on the external hard drive.
Then uninstall Hoster (while online) to free up the registration code allowing you to install on another computer.

Then you can decide if you want to copy all music files over from new external or use the external as the music source.

You can then use the Help menu / Backup restore feature to restore all Hosters settings and databases.

If you choose to run from the external hard drive you will need to inform Hoster that the drive letter has changed, to do this open Tools/Edit Songs dialog and select the (my drive letter has changed option)
If you have problems after useing this feature then you may have to rebuild the database.

You could copy all your songs files over to new computer by hard wireing but im not going to try explaining that here.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 10th, 2021, 05:19 PM

Smile Re: Transfer Hoster from one laptop to another

Thanks Roy. Always appreciate the advice you guys provide. I and many others would be lost without it. Ok, will follow those steps diligently.

Toshiba Satellite A100 Laptop, 4gb ram with Hoster 5.07
Old July 7th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Im needing to transfer Hoster from one computer to another. I think I can do that but my big question is: where is the folder located that has all my singers and their song list. I have over 25 regulars that have bid song lists. I want to be able to transfer them over. also, the versions im running are older (if it works don\'t fix it lol) but figure ill need to prob upgrade so ill need to do that also. One of my licenses is on a dead computer so ill need to know how to get it freed up, upgrade it, and reinstall on a new computer
Old July 8th, 2021, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Depending on how out of date your versions is, the Data folder contains all your singers records. The default place is (unless you altered it at some time)
C:/ProgramData/mtu.com/Hoster/

It can be hard to find because ProgramData is a hidden folder.
To find it you need to set explorer to show hidden folders.

Easiest way to find is open Hoster go to Tools menu and select Hoster data folder. A dialog will open showing the path in the brows box or you can view the files in it.
But as stated in previous post use the create a backup file of Hoster from the Help Menu/ Backup/Restore, which will copy and create a clone of your existing Hoster settings.

To free up your existing dead computer you will have to create a support ticket, http://help.mtu.com/support/tickets/new

You will probably have to log into your account to create the support ticket. The shortcut i pasted wont take you direct unless your logged in.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old July 11th, 2021, 05:53 AM

Thanks Roy. I\'ve been a Hoster user since 2004 with 6 different copies that I paid for and I have gotten more than 15 others to purchase copies. I\'ve been trying for over a week to contact someone from mtu. No retuned phone calls, tests messages, emails, and I\'ve opened a fix 5 days ago...no nothing. I\'ve seen on the internet and Facebook others having the same problem. I had to cancel 2 shows this last week because of it. The help mow on the website is not an option...nothing. what is going on. Om gonna have to go to another software if I cant get up and running next week. O do t umderstand... Brian was always great about getting in touch in a timely manner. Is he still with mtu?
Old July 11th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have not had reason to contact support myself since the lockdown so no idea what\'s going on.
Old July 11th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimwhite View Post
Thanks Roy. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve been a Hoster user since 2004 with 6 different copies that I paid for and I have gotten more than 15 others to purchase copies. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve been trying for over a week to contact someone from mtu. No retuned phone calls, texts messages, emails, and I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve opened a ticket 5 days ago...no nothing. I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve seen on the internet and Facebook others having the same problem. I had to cancel 2 shows this last week because of it. The help now on the website is not an option...nothing. what is going on. Im gonna have to go to another software if I cant get up and running next week. I dont understand... Brian was always great about getting in touch in a timely manner. Is he still with mtu? Sorry for all the typos in the previous message

I will try to contact MTU for you...
Old July 12th, 2021, 03:31 PM

thx Kod...I appreciate it. I have no clue whats going on
Old July 12th, 2021, 03:44 PM

I even offered to pay for upgrades and an hour of \"professional help\" for $75. Got nothing...crickets. I always have gotten great assistance before...I also noticed the help now on the actual site hasn\'t been available for a week at least. I really don\'t get it. I had to cancel 2 shows last week and took a day off of work hoping I could get some assistance and get up and running but I couldn\'t get a response. I love the software which is clear beings ive been using it for over 15 years lol. another problem I have is since I ripped all my cdg\'s in with hoster making them kma files I haven\'t found other software that read kma. thank god I have a bunch of my music saved as mp3\'s. im really hoping to keep Hoster cause I know the program and am comfortable with it but what do I do if I cant get help. Ive already lost over $500 in cancelled shows etc. Give me some words of encouragement lol
Old July 14th, 2021, 12:47 AM

Any luck Kod? I\'ve still been trying . Nothing
Old July 14th, 2021, 12:49 AM

Any advice Roy? I\\\'m getting desperate. I need help. Thanks both of you for trying.
Old July 14th, 2021, 07:51 AM

UPDATE:

Got ahold of Brian. I think I\'m set up to do the backup/restore. My only question as of now is do I do the backup and then the restore on the new computer before or after I do the upgrade?
Old July 14th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I don\'t think it makes much difference but I think I would do the backup restore first.
Old July 19th, 2021, 09:58 AM

another question..is there a way I can find my singers lists file on one computer and transfer it to the new computer or do I have to just start from scratch. I can write them down but it will take me about 7 hours to do it that way. as far as the software to the new computer...the software version I was running was not supported any further so I just tried to download the newest version with the key which took me to the upgrade screen and allowed me to buy the updated version and then allowed me to download the newest version with the same key. Just a FYI for ya if that was to come up with other folks
Old July 19th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

If you follow the instructions in post #5, the singers data is in the Hoster Datafolder. Look for singers.mdb

But if you created the backup as in those instructions when you restore the backup all your singers data will be included.
No need to copy it separately.
Old July 20th, 2021, 09:46 AM

I did the backup but couldn\'t do a restore because it was to old of version to run on windows 10. the backup was on a windows xp...also the list I want to try and get is on a different computer. I have multiple license\'s. I upgraded my oldest version (from 2009 I believe it was) to the newest. Ill try and find the folder. Once I find it and copy it to the external hd is there a special place I need to put it in the new computer so the new software upgrade will find it? Thanks for all your help Roy. It is greatly appreciated
Old July 20th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Is there any reason you can’t create the backup from the computer that has the file you want on it ?
The backup does not need to be from the same registration.
Save that backup file on a memory stick or external hard drive. Then Restore to your new computer.

If you would rather just copy the file singers.mdb.
it is in : C:/ProgramData/mtu.com/Hoster/

As I have tried to explain before in post#5 it is hard to find in Windows explorer as ProgramsData is a hidden folder.
In Windows 10 you can unhide it by ticking hidden box and while your about it tick the File name extensions, you need to do this from the view tab in Explorer.
I attach screen shot to show better.

You would have to paste singers.mdb into the your new C:/ProgramData/mtu.com/Hoster/
folder.

If your original file is not from Windows 10 computer you will have to unhide hidden folders from file properties.

The Backup /Restore is designed to try and make this easier.
If you are Pasting anything into the HosterData folder make sure Hoster is not running at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windows Explorer.jpg (479.2 KB, 7 views)
Old July 24th, 2021, 07:02 PM

Ok I got ya. That makes complete sense. Your a life saver Roy. Thank you a bunch. That saves me alot of time
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:21 PM

Hey Roy...so I got the folder put in. Now I\'m trying g to bring my music from my external in. It\'s only finding 16k songs. I have 130k songs some are mp3 some are kma. How do I get it to find them all like my other laptop?