MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: What font size is your songbook printed in?
5 font 0 0%
6 font 0 0%
7 font 0 0%
8 font 3 10.34%
9 font 3 10.34%
10 font 8 27.59%
11 font 6 20.69%
12 font 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
VIP

What font size is your songbook print?

My font size is currently 8 font arial. Trying to keep it that way but may have to go to 7 font to keep binder at 1-1/2".

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
VIP

12 pt Arial Narrow

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM

bars can be dark places and drunks can't focus very well so go with a large font
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Frequent Member

12 font arial black, bold.
my eyes ain't what they used to be.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM

I've had great success with the standard Hoster songbook setting.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I also run 12pt. Much easier to read in dark places.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM

I use, 10 and 11

10 for artist, 11 for title.

Used to use 8 because of the size of the book.

I culled my books down in content though I still have most of my songs on the PC. Went from, 9000 to 4000 listings, culled a bunch of stuff people just don't sing, took my Christmas listings completely out, as Halloween, and childrens, traditional, oldies ect. Now I can pick up and carry ten books to the tables without breaking my back. As a plus I find folks are singing a lot more with the larger font and can find their selections much faster. Once in a while I'll get someone that says hey where is the Tony Bennett stuff, I explain and add their song to the rotation.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
I use, 10 and 11

10 for artist, 11 for title.

Used to use 8 because of the size of the book.

I culled my books down in content though I still have most of my songs on the PC. Went from, 9000 to 4000 listings, culled a bunch of stuff people just don't sing, took my Christmas listings completely out, as Halloween, and childrens, traditional, oldies ect. Now I can pick up and carry ten books to the tables without breaking my back. As a plus I find folks are singing a lot more with the larger font and can find their selections much faster. Once in a while I'll get someone that says hey where is the Tony Bennett stuff, I explain and add their song to the rotation.
Other than what you already have said, did you feel the 8 font was workable in most places.

Old March 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM

For the most part I was looking in the audience and would occasionally see someone reach in their purse or pocket and get out the glasses. I did get complaints from friends in the business about the books being too fine a print. Not too much from patrons where I played. I got along fine with them, but most folks through vanity won't wear their glasses in a bar. So I culled my books from 225 page artist and 210 page title or vice versa I forget which, to 67 and 72 page. Went to the larger font, and have more singers now. Originally that was why I went with the small font because of large books. I still use KJ pro for my book making, I tried the Hoster book making, I guess I'm just too used to it to change.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
For the most part I was looking in the audience and would occasionally see someone reach in their purse or pocket and get out the glasses. I did get complaints from friends in the business about the books being too fine a print. Not too much from patrons where I played. I got along fine with them, but most folks through vanity won't wear their glasses in a bar. So I culled my books from 225 page artist and 210 page title or vice versa I forget which, to 67 and 72 page. Went to the larger font, and have more singers now. Originally that was why I went with the small font because of large books. I still use KJ pro for my book making, I tried the Hoster book making, I guess I'm just too used to it to change.

Amen Swany I Love my KJPro keeps me updated too because I stink at typing.
1tb x2 hd
Plextor 716A
nvidea 9500Gt Graphics Card
Show Coputer

Backup Computer
Windows XP
1.86 Duo core Dell
160 gig Hd
320 gig Hd
2 gig ram
nvidea 8600 Graphics Card

320 gig external backup drive.
BACKUP is #1 Priority!!!!
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie227 View Post
Amen Swany I Love my KJPro keeps me updated too because I stink at typing.
Hummmm...I've always used Hoster's songbooks and never have to type anything after importing my tracks which most time I don't have to type thanks to MTU's local and online databases.

I've never used KJPro. Goonie or Swany, if you don't mind me asking, what is it that KJPro does that Hoster's songbook doesn't?

Thanks!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old April 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM

size of Font in song book

Don't use songbooks, completely paperless.
Muzicman
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Don't use songbooks, completely paperless.
Muzicman
How do your singers know what songs you have?

Jim

Old April 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Size of Font in Songbook

I have a KJ at the same site for years. Our song selection is about 28,000 and legitimate, may i add. We have been paperless for about two years. We do have an older laptop with with search for those who can't remember what they wish to sing. We haven't noticed a change in the crowds or singers. No hassle with books. I would bet there are quite a few bookless kjs out there. It is very easy to adapt to. There is an occasionable complaint, but no more than with the books, and generally the same complaint, "Can't Find my song", generally because they can't remember the name of the song,and it's right there under their nose. We also make it a point to stay current as best as possible so we will have the songs.
muzicman
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I have a KJ at the same site for years. Our song selection is about 28,000 and legitimate, may i add. We have been paperless for about two years. We do have an older laptop with with search for those who can't remember what they wish to sing. We haven't noticed a change in the crowds or singers. No hassle with books. I would bet there are quite a few bookless kjs out there. It is very easy to adapt to. There is an occasionable complaint, but no more than with the books, and generally the same complaint, "Can't Find my song", generally because they can't remember the name of the song,and it's right there under their nose. We also make it a point to stay current as best as possible so we will have the songs.
muzicman
Cool, I find the books are good for letting ffolks know what new songs I have added. I would like to do without books but one place where I host karaoke gets too wild. No way one laptop would accomodate everybody and I think it would not be long before somebody messed it up. I actually have to keep a clean set of books and a dirty set of books. In the one place that gets too wild, my dirty books get soaked every nite I'm there.

Thanks

Jim

Old April 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Cool, I find the books are good for letting ffolks know what new songs I have added. I would like to do without books but one place where I host karaoke gets too wild. No way one laptop would accomodate everybody and I think it would not be long before somebody messed it up. I actually have to keep a clean set of books and a dirty set of books. In the one place that gets too wild, my dirty books get soaked every nite I'm there.

Thanks

Jim
I got three dirty places and two clean

Old April 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Jim
We have found they mostly bypass the laptop and just put in their song or request. We usually handle the laptop, because with Hoster, there is time. We don't do Karaoke at any other place, but it really works here. Try it one night in your usual spot. You just might be suprised.
muzicman144
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
We have found they mostly bypass the laptop and just put in their song or request. We usually handle the laptop, because with Hoster, there is time.
Please don't be upset, I'm trying to uderstand. If they don't use the laptop, how do they find the songs they want to sing? Is it because you have every karaoke track in exsistance? How do they find out about new songs? What do you tell them when they ask "where is the book"?

Quote:
We don't do Karaoke at any other place, but it really works here. Try it one night in your usual spot. You just might be suprised.
muzicman144
Exactly what is it you want me to try? I'm always up for anything that makes the show better.

Two things I tell my singers is 1. "don't carry the book with you when you make a request, leave the books on the tables" and 2. "I don't need a paper slip, just tell me the name of the song and youe name". I can't tell you how many time I say this in a weeks time.

Totaly paperless (no books) would be cool for me but in the bigest club I host karaoke (one of the biggest clubs in town), if I didn't have books, I'd spend al night doing searches for people. "Do you have this song by so and so"? In my small clubs this is not an issue but in the big club where have twenty plus folks lined up to put in requests, it would take me twice as long to enter everybodies requests.

Every club is going to be different without a doubt BUT if you are doing something that will make my show (and everybody elses) run smoother
well, I'll be the first one to put it into action.

Thanks!

Jim

Old April 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Please don't be upset, I'm trying to uderstand. If they don't use the laptop, how do they find the songs they want to sing? Is it because you have every karaoke track in exsistance? How do they find out about new songs? What do you tell them when they ask "where is the book"?
As i stated earlier, we have approx 28,000 songs, We try to be as current as possible. We did have a few problems at first with "where's your books" but as you say, "i don't need a paper slip, just tell me the name of the song and your name", 99% of the time we have it. There are times it takes a little more effort, but is worth it in the long run

Quote:
Exactly what is it you want me to try? I'm always up for anything that makes the show better.
We do not leave the laptop out for any to use, We usually man it. But as i stated, using Hoster gives us the time. This may not work in every Bar, but we only play the one bar three nights a week, keep the rotation around 15-20, and, after a few initial problems, we ironed everything out and it really runs smooth

Quote:
Two things I tell my singers is 1. "don't carry the book with you when you make a request, leave the books on the tables" and 2. "I don't need a paper slip, just tell me the name of the song and youe name". I can't tell you how many time I say this in a weeks time.
Covered above

Totaly paperless (no books) would be cool for me but in the bigest club I host karaoke (one of the biggest clubs in town), if I didn't have books, I'd spend al night doing searches for people. "Do you have this song by so and so"? In my small clubs this is not an issue but in the big club where have twenty plus folks lined up to put in requests, it would take me twice as long to enter everybodies requests.

Every club is going to be different without a doubt BUT if you are doing something that will make my show (and everybody elses) run smoother
well, I'll be the first one to put it into action.

Paperless may not be for everyone, but i know it workd in our situation and bet there are others who do it also. Seems there was a thread on this a while back. I'm going to do a search to see.

Quote:
Thanks!

Jim
thanks
muzicman
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I used to do 9, but had alot of problems with customers not being able to read it in the dark. I went to the 2 column layout. It still allows me to get both artist and title in one 2" binder.