MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM

the best and only the best

While sound choice is my favorite sometimes there is a better version of a song. I want to know what you think is the best version of certian songs?

"Everything about you" by ugly kid joe I play the dangerous DG03 version.

"You oughta know" by Alanis Morrissette I play the all hits AH8006 version.

"Hot for teacher" by Van Halen I play the radio starz RZ612

Or some songs that are only One one disc like

"One" by Metallica only on legends LG113

What I wanna know is which versions you use and the numbers.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM

I am still using some of the old Pioneer Laserdiscs and will use those for any songs they have, as I believe them to be the mosttrue versions of "most" songs.
One exception would be American Pie, and a few others, but ....

Can't wait for 4.0 so I can get them on the computer.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:00 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
While sound choice is my favorite sometimes there is a better version of a song. I want to know what you think is the best version of certian songs?

"Everything about you" by ugly kid joe I play the dangerous DG03 version.

"You oughta know" by Alanis Morrissette I play the all hits AH8006 version.

"Hot for teacher" by Van Halen I play the radio starz RZ612

Or some songs that are only One one disc like

"One" by Metallica only on legends LG113

What I wanna know is which versions you use and the numbers.
I just play whatever comes up as the version I have, and no one, may I say no one, has ever complained. I guess ppl in Maine just aren't that fussy, they're just happy to sing and have fun.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

My friend has the laser disc collection. I agree they are some very true to original versions
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM

Me I'm a Chartbusters man most often, few exceptions are Chantilly Lace - Big Bopper sound choice is the way to go.

Another is Jackson by Johnny Cash and June sound choice only.

House of the Rising Sun - Animals lost of versions one I like best is DK.

I also sing the male version of Me & Bobby McGee - Kris Kristofferson this is on Sunfly.

There are a few others like Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash found two versions in the UK nowhere else I have the Xtreme Karaoke version.

Some of the older stuff in sound choice, DK and a few others is no longer produced by them so if you haven't bought out a retiree with disks you won't find some of the older stuff. I got lucky and bought two show with older disk versions. Lot of the early pioneer cdgs, complete sound choice reminiscing series.
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnights1 View Post
I am still using some of the old Pioneer Laserdiscs and will use those for any songs they have, as I believe them to be the mosttrue versions of "most" songs.
One exception would be American Pie, and a few others, but ....

Can't wait for 4.0 so I can get them on the computer.
You know, its funny you should say that, as I'm a big Sound Choice guy myself. I remember singing "Always and Forever" one night, and the KJ suggested that I try the Pioneer version as it was the "closest to the original" etc.

I have to say, I was disappointed, and felt the SC version was way better. Of course, that's my only experience so far with that brand.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaoke koyote View Post
You know, its funny you should say that, as I'm a big Sound Choice guy myself. I remember singing "Always and Forever" one night, and the KJ suggested that I try the Pioneer version as it was the "closest to the original" etc.

I have to say, I was disappointed, and felt the SC version was way better. Of course, that's my only experience so far with that brand.

Was it the Laserdisc or the DVD, because I have heard they went a little down hill after the laserdisc era. I think with the amount of songs they were trying to get out all at once, they may have let the quality slip some, but I haven't bought any of the DVD's so I can't say for sure.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM
VIP

There were actually 2 different sets of LaserDiscs from Pioneer. The original set (up to about 42 or 43 in the regular line & up to 202 or 203 in the country line) were not mulitiplexed. When they decided to go multiplex to add the vocal tracks on their discs, there were SEVERAL songs that were re-recorded, many due to either length or needing to add intros like You Lost That Loving Feeling & Unchained Melody come to mind directly. The resulting versions were not nearly as good as the ones they replaced. When Pioneer made the switch to CDG & then again to DVD, they used the re-recorded versions.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Well I See There are alot of diffrences in what we all think. So What Are The Worst versions?

I don"t Like Sweet Georgia Brown, Backstage, Sound Image, Or anything bought at the local Walmart.

Not really fond of All Hits, Legends, or Monster
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Also The "Original Question" was what track and what brand do you play?

Example 1.
Ugly Kid Joe "Everything About You" I play the Dangerous version DG03

I know alot of local KJs that just put in all in their books.
I save alot of pages by only have one version listed.
normanly I play the one thats longest, if the times are more than a couple of seconds.

Also what Errors are in certain versions Like "War Pigs" the shorter versions Dangerous or All Hits as Compared to the Sound Choice.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Also The "Original Question" was what track and what brand do you play?

Example 1.
Ugly Kid Joe "Everything About You" I play the Dangerous version DG03

I know alot of local KJs that just put in all in their books.
I save alot of pages by only have one version listed.
normanly I play the one thats longest, if the times are more than a couple of seconds.

Also what Errors are in certain versions Like "War Pigs" the shorter versions Dangerous or All Hits as Compared to the Sound Choice.
SC is definitely the best of the current disk mfrs for almost all genres of music, with the exception of country. Chartbuster has the edge on country recordings. Everyone else is a distant third or worse.
Sometimes a version of a song could be prolonged because the mfr decided to go with the radio release version vs the album version. I prefer sound choice, then Chartbuster, then maybe some others, usually by the type of music they compile. I like Zoom and then Sunfly, for specific artists or genre/era music.

Sometimes you have to wait years for a good version of a song, such as "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" by Danny O'Keefe. I had to labor with the Nutech version of this song for several years, till Chartbuster, then finally Sound Choice came out with superior reproductions of the song.

SC's version of Stairway to Heaven is very good, but it is also as long as the original version, so that tends to slow down the shows when someone wants to sing a nine minute song. Thank god there are versions of Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" that are the AM or 45RPM length. Otherwise we all would have someone sing it to go to the restroom!
Old radio DJ dj Joke.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB