MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Shure PGX24/Beta 58 wireless mic

Thinking about getting this for myself not my singers. Any comments positive or otherwise?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I got 2 of them and love them both. I bought gold plated screens for them because I liked them so well.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
VIP

how much money we talkin' here?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM

I got mine for $299 ea. gold screens were $11.95 they seem to sound better with the gold
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns View Post
I got 2 of them and love them both. I bought gold plated screens for them because I liked them so well.
Wow Gary....GOLD....and you let your singers use them.....I'm impressed
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM

Singers dont touch them. I have one permanently built into the system for me, and the other is a spare for my small system.

I Have a vocopro dual uhf 3800 mic setup for the singers. probably the best thing ever made For Vocopro.

I dont really have a lot of faith in Shure tho. I have sent mic's off to them to have repaired, and it took a year to get it back. But they do have the best sound.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduns View Post
Singers dont touch them. I have one permanently built into the system for me, and the other is a spare for my small system.

I Have a vocopro dual uhf 3800 mic setup for the singers. probably the best thing ever made For Vocopro.

I dont really have a lot of faith in Shure tho. I have sent mic's off to them to have repaired, and it took a year to get it back. But they do have the best sound.
Sometimes you have to keep bugging them. I sent one off to Hisonic and called a month later to find out they had moved locations and lost it in the move. They did send me a new replacement though.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
VIP

I use the vocopro UHF 5800, four wireless, pretty good sound, not too expensive either.

I got one of them makin reaaly weird short random scratchy sounds. Sent it back and the guy said there was a frequency in my area causing that and there was nothing they could do.

Does this mak any sense. I mean I payed for four working mikes and they tell me only three work in my area. Don't they owe me another that will work?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

Sounds like a cop out to me. I never had a mic do that. call vocopro and see if they will do anything.

MACHINE NAME: [Monster]
Windows XP 64 & 32 Professional Dual boot
Processor - AMD xp64 x2 4400
RAM - 2.0g PC3200 ddr2 800ghz
Motherboard msi platinum (latest BIOS and DRIVERS)
Sound Card - sound blaster comp.(On-board sound device)
Video - MSI 6800 128MG
HD Primary - 7 VAROIUS HARD DRIVES ON THIS MACHINE
CD-R - Plextor (PX-W708A 1.04) CD-R - TEAC
DVD/CD-R - NEC (optiplex )
DirectX Version - 9.0c (4.09.0000.0901)
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Do those mikes have an adjustable gain control ? Mine have, located in the battery compartment. I've had a slight scratching sound a time or two that was solved by just a slight reduction in the gain.

I agree with gduns, but there's an oustide possibility that there is an interference of sorts on one mike's frequency and not the other three.

If they're preset frequencies(channels) like mine are, you can't tell. If they're user set like some multiple units I'ver seen advertised, you might try swapping frequencies and see if the problem moves to the other mike.

Dunno, just brainstorming.

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM

Shure PGX24 Beta 58 UHF Mic

I can't find them any cheaper than $345.00, also I would't mind buying VocoPro for my singers I just don't know anything about the quality of VocoPro
Old December 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
I can't find them any cheaper than $345.00, also I would't mind buying VocoPro for my singers I just don't know anything about the quality of VocoPro
Vocopro are good mikes. We have two sets and until just recently we haven't had any problems with any of them. Like Bryant I had one of the 5800 set suddenly start a low frequency "pumping" feedback. The next week it was fine. Haven't figured it out yet but will if it ever comes back.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Vocopro 5800

I just recently picked up the Vocopro 5800 set, and was also concerned about the quality I'd be getting from them (I use Sennheiser Evolution Series mics in my DJ system and host karaoke shows on an occasional basis). After being convinced by a vendor who used the Vocopro systems in his own karaoke shows that they were decent mics for the price, I bought them. And sure enough, they're a very good value.

My biggest concern was the fixed frequencies, but it's easy to forget that you're getting FOUR microphones with this system, and will only need all four of them on rare occasions (once or twice a night, maybe). I haven't had any frequency interference issues at all, but even if I did, I feel comfortable knowing that they'd likely occur on just one of the four frequencies. That leaves three wireless handhelds, which is enough for me to do a successful show. I use the combined output on the receiver and adjust the volume of each mic with the little gain controls on the front of the receiver. So far, so good. Singers are loud and clear, and everyone loves using a wireless. My only complaint is that the mics just don't feel substantial, but then again, I'm used to the Sennheiser. These Vocopro mics are quite good.
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Vocopro are good mikes. We have two sets and until just recently we haven't had any problems with any of them. Like Bryant I had one of the 5800 set suddenly start a low frequency "pumping" feedback. The next week it was fine. Haven't figured it out yet but will if it ever comes back.
Let me know if it does. Vocopro first said they couldn't change the frequency, then they said they could. Now they have it in repairs. I'll ket you know if that was it!
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydjbren View Post
I just recently picked up the Vocopro 5800 set, and was also concerned about the quality I'd be getting from them (I use Sennheiser Evolution Series mics in my DJ system and host karaoke shows on an occasional basis). After being convinced by a vendor who used the Vocopro systems in his own karaoke shows that they were decent mics for the price, I bought them. And sure enough, they're a very good value.

My biggest concern was the fixed frequencies, but it's easy to forget that you're getting FOUR microphones with this system, and will only need all four of them on rare occasions (once or twice a night, maybe). I haven't had any frequency interference issues at all, but even if I did, I feel comfortable knowing that they'd likely occur on just one of the four frequencies. That leaves three wireless handhelds, which is enough for me to do a successful show. I use the combined output on the receiver and adjust the volume of each mic with the little gain controls on the front of the receiver. So far, so good. Singers are loud and clear, and everyone loves using a wireless. My only complaint is that the mics just don't feel substantial, but then again, I'm used to the Sennheiser. These Vocopro mics are quite good.

They are good, still like em in fact.
I was just bugged about the fact that I paid for 4 and can only use three, hasn't effected the shows.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:27 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I use the vocopro UHF 5800, four wireless, pretty good sound, not too expensive either.

I got one of them makin reaaly weird short random scratchy sounds. Sent it back and the guy said there was a frequency in my area causing that and there was nothing they could do.

Does this mak any sense. I mean I payed for four working mikes and they tell me only three work in my area. Don't they owe me another that will work?
What frequency? I have a set of SYM871's (I highly don't recommend), On one mic I get a lot of interference from some cell phones that are in use within 10-15ft of the reciever, even sending text msgs will do it. The frequency is in the 800mhz range (I dont remember the exact freq)

Sam
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
What frequency? I have a set of SYM871's (I highly don't recommend), On one mic I get a lot of interference from some cell phones that are in use within 10-15ft of the reciever, even sending text msgs will do it. The frequency is in the 800mhz range (I dont remember the exact freq)

Sam
800 MHz is a common cell phone frequency range . Any chance of getting them to change the frequency on that mic. Sam? It wouldn't have to be changed by much as I think the channels in that band are only 20 KHz and moving it 1 or 2 channels away would make a big difference.

Have a Happy New Year Sam!
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Wireless Mic debate

I've read the feedback on two of the wireless mics I'm thinking about buying the Sure Beta 24/58 and the Vocopro 5800 4 mic set-up. The Vocopro 5800 really looks like the way to go for the money, but if the mics don't deliver a clear, crisp vocal, then it's not a good deal at any price. I only have parties in my home with friends, but if I can't get good clean sound out of the mics, nobodys happy, and I like to keep everybody happy. The money isn't as big an issue as having good quality stuff to me. I'd like to get some more feed back from some of you guys that do this professionally to steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any comments you might offer.
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko7 View Post
I've read the feedback on two of the wireless mics I'm thinking about buying the Sure Beta 24/58 and the Vocopro 5800 4 mic set-up. The Vocopro 5800 really looks like the way to go for the money, but if the mics don't deliver a clear, crisp vocal, then it's not a good deal at any price. I only have parties in my home with friends, but if I can't get good clean sound out of the mics, nobodys happy, and I like to keep everybody happy. The money isn't as big an issue as having good quality stuff to me. I'd like to get some more feed back from some of you guys that do this professionally to steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any comments you might offer.
For home parties especially, the VocoPro mics are perfect. They'll deliver a clear, crisp vocal with no problems, but of course your results may vary. I've had nothing but outstanding results with mine - my Sennheiser EW100G2 does sound better and is built like a tank, but that one cost me $500 and the Vocopro 4-mic set was around $200.

Find a retailer with a fair return policy if you're not satisfied and try the VocoPro system - I got mine from djsupply.com. Call them directly and you'll get a better price than what's shown on their website.
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Wireless Mic Debate

I have used EV967 wired mics for years. Recently i bought four Samson Airline wireless mic with the AX1 receiver. This AX1 module allows me to use my previously wired EV mic wireless without losing the great EV sound. You can plug the AX1 module in any mike, wired or wireless and make them work great.
The system sells for about $250, but if you dicker just a little, i got these for a lot less. I am more than happy.

muzicman144