MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How Big is your rotation?
under 10 1 2.33%
10 to 20 18 41.86%
20 to 30 18 41.86%
30 to 40 2 4.65%
40 to 50 2 4.65%
50 and up 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM

NO There is alot of "where am I at?" "How long till I sing" "Can you move me up, No one will Know" You just don't have 50 people walk in at once and write there names down and your done. Then there is trying to make 50 diffrent people sound good while dealing with all the questions and people. Plus the next ratation where alot of people have left gets harder. Its not really hard.
Why would you think it would be easier to take care of 50 than 20?
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Because 50 ppl only get to sing once, 20 ppl sing three different times, change their minds, wnat to know what they sang last, etc. But I guess that's all gonna happen with 10 ppl or a 100, don't matter.

Old April 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
NO There is alot of "where am I at?" "How long till I sing" "Can you move me up, No one will Know" You just don't have 50 people walk in at once and write there names down and your done. Then there is trying to make 50 diffrent people sound good while dealing with all the questions and people. Plus the next ratation where alot of people have left gets harder. Its not really hard.
The first hour is usually 3-10 people then all hell breaks loose.

I do 6 nights a week at the same venue (I'm the owner). I feel your pain. I got rid of the slips and use a big dry erase board with 48 slots. I run from 9-1.

It's amazing to me how much easier the board has made my life. It is clear to see where you are in the rotation. It is also very easy to shrug off the people who want to get moved up on the list. (everyone will know) I use the timer built in to Hoster and put in three of four extra songs to take me past 1am, then I pick up the books and write NO MORE on the board. The only two small problems I've had are people accidentally erasing a name or number (keeping up with entering solves this) or changing thier song after it is entered (I usually draw a line or deface or astericks through the number after I enter it, or just erase the number)

As far as the extra three or four who are on the list but won't get to sing, I try to find them and tell them that barring someone leaving, I won't get to them. Please stick around though, because I quickly fade out the outro and get the next song started, so I may be able to squeeze you in. Also please have another drink and don't forget to tip your waitress because I don't pay them crap.

My favorite argument is the people who think I should skip 1 or more people to let them sing. I point out the people who are ahead of them on the list, take them by the hand and ask them to tell Dave, Betty, and Sue why you are more important than them, and one of them will not be able to sing because your greatness takes priority over their patience. Also I live by 4 rules that have served me very well in the bar business.

1. Fairness is above all else. It is a very easy position to defend.
2. Honesty. People respect someone who is not going to lie to you.
3. Integrity in all your dealings. This allows me to sleep at night.
4. Tits are no excuse. Why I have been married for 23 years.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Tue, Fri and Sat = Over 40
Fri = occasionally Over 50...some won't get to sing.

Wed and Thur = Over 30

Mon = Less than 10 <----fairly new show.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd123 View Post
Tue, Fri and Sat = Over 40
Fri = occasionally Over 50...some won't get to sing.

Wed and Thur = Over 30

Mon = Less than 10 <----fairly new show.

GD, do you play at the same place on all those nights?

Old July 1st, 2008, 11:56 PM

We have a smoking ban in all clubs in Queensland, Australia and this invariablymeans half the patrons are outside puffing up at any given time. A busy night for me is a 20 singer rotation, a quiet night is six or seven. It's a catch 22 situation really. If you have a small number of singers, it can get rather monotonous and if the numbers don't grow significatly during the night, it can mean an early night for me. On the other hand, if you have more than a 20 singer rotation, it can lead to a wait of in excess of 75 minutes for a song which can lead to frustration for some and the serious singers will sometimes leave rather than wait that long.

Sometimes you can't win.

Lloyd T