MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Duplicate Songs Elimination

Since I am a programmer by day, I've done a bit of manipulating of the MTU Songs Database and have converted that Access database to Microsoft SQL Server.

Like many of you, I have duplicate versions of the same song by the same artist and manufacturer. However, my songbook only lists song titles and artists, no disk numbers or manufacturer names, etc. I've been hosting karaoke shows long enough to know which versions are the better versions and unless a singer asks for a specific brand, I generally play the version I know to be the best. In most cases, that will either be CB, SC or DK but there are occasions when the not-so-popular brands do in fact have a better version that I personally like to sing, e.g. I personally prefer Why Me Lord - Kris Kristofferson by All Hits Karaoke much better than the CB version.

After I import my songs into the Hoster Access database, I immediately migrate it to my SQL Server database and I do all my data manipulation in SQL Server. I wrote several stored procedures to do a variety of things, to include tracking and eliminating duplicates and songs with bad graphics. I wrote a small .NET program that will do the same thing that Hoster 4.0 will do insofar as tagging duplicate songs, but my program also asks if I want to delete the song from the database as well as from disk. For songs with bad graphics or sound, I write the brand/title/artist out to a text file so that I can get try extracting it from the CD again or otherwise obtain a new copy of it. I am not keeping more than one copy of the same brand/song/artist combination on disk. I keep the Hoster Access database synchronized with my SQL Server database using SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS).

I hope to eventually get to the point where I have absolutely no duplicate brand/title/artist combination and no songs with bad graphics or sound in my collection. It'll take a while but I'll get there.

Good Time Karaoke
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
VIP

I envy smart people.

Back in the early 80's I got fairly proficient usic BASIC, but then life got me busy with other things for 10 or 15 years and by then I was to behind the times, to old/tired/busy to relearn all this stuff. Now I just watch in fascination as others do it. ..."Someday" has become my motto...

Sam
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
I envy smart people.

Back in the early 80's I got fairly proficient usic BASIC, but then life got me busy with other things for 10 or 15 years and by then I was to behind the times, to old/tired/busy to relearn all this stuff. Now I just watch in fascination as others do it. ..."Someday" has become my motto...

Sam
LOL, me too! I was happy when I was able to teach myself HTML, even now THAT is outdated.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM

I hear ya buddy

Having to learn again past 40 is difficult but rewarding
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
I envy smart people.

Sam
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
VIP

"A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step" - It's that first single step that's the most difficult.

Sam
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM

One of the easier ways to cull duplicates off your hard drive is use your songbook maker while having the edit function up. Takes a while. Me I have culled a lot out of my shows, after all Christmas comes once a year and I did not need 7 copies of White Christmas - Bing Crosby. I had 9 copies of Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin. 4 of them were CB, I still have 8,582 songs on my home pc where I have been culling. Taking out all of my copies of Kate Smith and a lot of other 40s stuff ect that no one sings. I still have a few dupes but they are SC and CB or THM. Figuring I started with 14,800 thats 6,300+ songs that were dupes or not needed. So there is a lot one can do. If space is a premium. On my laptops I keep dupes way down. Figure if someone asks for something I've culled it will be back the next show. Example one lady wants Dark Lady - Cher DK version I culled it and now it's back.