MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 12th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Sound Canvas... Edirol or Roland??

I read somewhere in the forum, that someone bought one of the Sound Canvas software programs. I think it was the Edirol, but not sure. Just wanted to know how well you like it, and do you find yourself using it alot? Do the sounds sound synthesised or unatural?

Thanks,
Ernie
Old April 12th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Frequent Member

Ernie......

"Do the sounds sound synthesised or unatural?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT......

They will if you DON'T run the midi file through Sound Canvas (a $50.00 program) or a Sound Module (about $600.00).
Old April 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Ernie,

I bought Edirol Sound Canvass and since then I have stopped buying CDG's. In my opinion, it's great.

With the millions of midi files available for free downloads. Do I need to say more?

Good luck,

Jon
Old April 13th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Edirol or Roland Sound Canvas

Jon,
I appreciate the input!! Kjzone, do you have the Edirol as well? There are two Sound Canvas's out there... Edirol and Roland. I guess I should also be clear on something. What I'm looking at is the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas, not the Edirol (hardware) Sound Canvas.

Thanks alot,
Ernie
Old April 13th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Frequent Member

Ernie.......

Edirol is a divison of Roland Corporation......

You want the software program (about $50.00) titled:

Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas Multi Pack, Multi-instrument Software Synthesizer. VSC-MP1

UPC CODE: 7-6129405685-1
Old April 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Kjzone,
Thanks for the information!! I'm going to order it right now.

Ernie
Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:58 AM

Hey guys!

Another alternative for those of you trying to find the most realistic sounding software synthesizer for your midi files. The Yamaha S-YXG100 Sondius Soft Synthesizer is a great sounding
product. It sells for $80.00 and is worth every penny, especially if you compare it to the cost of a hardware synth or tone module.You can try the demo version free (30 days I believe) to see how you like it. I own the Roland/Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas as well and use them both.
Some songs sound better on one, while others sound better on the other. Some tweaking(with Cakewalk Home Studio, Sonar, Cubase, etc.) of the midi file is required (volume of individual instruments, etc.) when switching between the two, but IMHO, the final result is worth the trouble. I love authentic sounding brass instruments, and I think the Yamaha has the edge there. Check it out! The webite is digitalmusicworld.com or you can try yamahamusicsoft.com.

The Flamingo Kid

P.S. The S-YXG100 will not work with Windows XP!
However, Yamaha recently released the S-YXG50
which works great with XP and it's cheaper too!($50.00)
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:16 PM

of course soon you want be able to get the midi files anymore. they are starting to close down midi sites from this insane music sharing crap. Riaa and the likes are going to put an end to all music if they don't watch it.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hmmmm...

I just purchased the Cakewalk 2004 XL. It includes an fx module called "Virtual Sound Canvas DXi".

Is this the same as the $50 Sound Canvas package you are refering to?

If so, I haven't been able to get a non synth sound out of it yet...
Old February 25th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Frequent Member

BooBoo

The Roland Sound Canvas program comes with two plugins, one is a DXI, but I believe you have to have the Full Roland Sound Canvas Program before you can take advantage of the DXI plugin in Cakewalk.
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM

kjzone,
First, thanks so much for the fast response! I can select the DXi in Cakewalk, I can get the midi into the DXi control panel, I can change instruments, vol, pan, effects, etc. It does react and it does put out sound. But it still doesn't sound natural. Guitar sounds sound like you are playing a guitar on a piano. ha! (make sense?) Would the VSC multi pack include additional instruments? Could it be that I've downloaded some midi files that weren't put together well? Maybe (and more likely possibly) I need to put more time into learning how to tweek the tools I have better? (ok that one is a given) I have done lots of research on midi and the different aspects of what makes it tick but I am very short on OJT. Please forgive a newby for probably asking some stupid questions..
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Frequent Member

BooBoo

Go to your Control Panel, select Multi-Media, Click on the MIDI TAB, If you don't see Roland anywhere in there to run the midi thru I don't believe your midi's will sound correct.

The Roland Sound Canvas acts like a "Sound Module" and when running through either the Software (Roland Sound Canvas) or Hardware (Roland Sound Module) the correct format of either
GM2 or GS (that the original musician used) is assigned by the program as well as all the original instruments the musician selected.

When midi's are played thru Roland Sound Canvas you hear what the musician really created, if you play the midi say thru Winamp or anyother music program, it will sound totally different.

At this point, I don't know or can't say if Cakewalk DXi plug in is functioning the same as in Roland Sound Canvas.
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Hi Boo Boo,

It sounds like you've got everything working ok and have just gotten a hold of some inferior midi files. I've been all over the net and most of the free stuff out there is pure junk. With patience and lots of practice you can tweak some of the better ones to sound pretty good. The reason the guitar patch sounds like a piano is because more than likely the part was recorded with a midi keyboard. Strumming a chord on a guitar as opposed to playing it on a keyboard where all the notes sound at the same time is a totally different technique. When creating or modifying midi files, practice makes perfect. It's taken me YEARS to get to the point where my midi stuff sounds great.
Want to save some time? Go to www.trantracks.com or www.bandtrax.com.au. You'll find some EXCELLENT midi music on these sites. You have to pay about $10 per song but it's well worth the money in saved time and aggravation. They also have quantity discounts and package deals. Check it out, in the meantime keep polishing your sequencing skills! Hope this helps.

Larry T.
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I think you are right. I went back and loaded Tut 8. Set it up as per the instructions in the book, and it sounded much better. The guitar sounded like a guitar. I'll check out those sites! Thanks for your help....
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

FYI: the Edirol Sound Canvass appears to be discontinued.

If anyone knows how to get this today, please post here.
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Frequent Member

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...63&ParentId=73

http://www.pgmusic.com/rolandvs.htm

Last edited by kjzone; February 16th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks KJZone. I thought I had been exhaustive.