MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Going Wirless

Input on great sounding wireless mic set///Samson/Shure/Vocopro or anything to flat out stay away from.
thanks in advance
On Call
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM

shure sm58 but thats just my view thats what i use for my wired mics also
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
shure sm58 but thats just my view thats what i use for my wired mics also
I heard a sound man say "SM58's, you can hammer nails with 'em".

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Most often I just stay away from VHF and find the UHF mics work well in almost all brands. Gemini has been a good one for me. I've worked with VHF units and the biggest draw back I ever had was a neon sign ten feet from it caused it to scatter the signal. Other than that the distances seem to be around 50 ft for VHF, UHF seems to cover around 300ft. Some folks like to wander all over the bars I work at, and 50ft just doesn't cut it.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

I'd second the SM58 wireless. I use them and haven't had any problems. For some reason on some nights they sound better than the wired SM58's and Beta 87A's. And no, it isn't my imagination.

I run all of my microphones with compressor/gate inserts at FOH mixer.
Geforce 8800GT Video
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncall View Post
Input on great sounding wireless mic set///Samson/Shure/Vocopro or anything to flat out stay away from.
thanks in advance
On Call
The high end gemmini uhf 2 on 1 reciever.
about $240.00 for 2 mics with one reciever.
they can be hooked toghter or seperate.
two aa batterys last forever.
great sound and high gain before feedback. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

I would recommend the shures also, only problem I have with that is I do Karaoke in the real world bars and they may be able as quoted to drive nails with em. Drunks have no respect for the equiptment their idea of a sound check to check to see if the mic is on is to bang it on their hand first. Some use their beer bottle, others their leg ect. The cheap ones you don't lose much. For most public karaoke in the usual bar scene a set of voco pros for less than a hundred bucks is plenty okay. For weddings doing toasts, I stick to my better mics, I guess it's live and learn. I do now know how to repair dropped and banged on mics. I keep an extra repaired unit in each show for it's rotation. Whatever you buy try to get an extra mic with the unit, it will save you sooner or later.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:44 AM

Better Late Than Never

You may have already purchased but wanted to throw in some personal experience on some wireless mics I've used over the years.

I am a Shure user and will never use any other brand. I have wired SM-58s that I bought 12 years ago that are still as good today as they were when I bought them (couple new windscreens and some scratches but still functionally flawless)

PGX24/SM-58 or Beta 58: Good range with diversity, sound quality is very good (Beta 58 is extremely good), transmitter bodies are plastic and I used tape on the battery cover of every one I own and has worked flawless for years. Transmitter uses AA batteries and will have to be swapped out every three or four shows (recommend rechargeables). Several transmit recieve channels and a cool InfraRed sync setup never had any interference (and I live on an Air Force Base). Personal experience with both of these mics is that the SM 58 has very good sound and will assist most singers and moreover is quite durable if a bit of control is exercised over your singers. The Beta 58 is exceptionally clear and loves its sound from close up, however it is much more delicate and for the extra cost I would never hand it to a singer that I was unsure of.

LX88-II SM-58: Good range but non-diversity so not as good as PGX24, sound quality is similar as they use modified versions of the same SM-58 Capsule. Two mics and large rackmountable reciever with lost of options. Battery cover on the transmitter has the same issues as with most twist on types (develops a crack or two -- I find electrical tape early keeps everything together nicely for a long time). The switches on the transmitter should be covered with tape or similar during a show to prevent accidental shutoff. This is an older model and Shure will not be repairing them much longer.

After the PGX series the models get very expensive very quickly and they only really gain you range and options that are probably beyond the need for most hosts.

I'll tell you the same I tell most people. Figure your budget and go have a listen to everything in your budget. Use what you think is best. Durability, Sound quality, Range and Cost.

These, as always, are my personal opinions and experience with products and I hope I don't offend anyone with my statements.

Good luck

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM

If you can deal with the COST, go Shure

In my past experience with wireless mic's. I have always been satisfied with the midrange Shure VHF systems. They hold up very well. Caveat goes with the crowds you cater. If you know that your Karaoke singers are responsible enough, go with the Shure, otherwise spend a little less money on other systems such as Audio Technica Digital Reference VHF mic's or AKG's wireless systems. The AKG and the ATs are durable, if there are any minuses, its in the audio range of the mic's themselves. To me it is negligible. Vocopro' mics are another good alternative.
I use the Audio Technica Wireless mics and they hold up very well.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB