MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Major Headaches

I have been using Hoster only for a few months and upgradded to 4.06.
I am having problems and getting more confused the more I read.
I am encountering problems when I start Hoster program tring to get 2 monitors running and have to restart program multiple times till it works and another time works fine. Issue #2 is my words fall behind the music to often and on occasion by restarting program it will work properly for a while thats if I don't encounter the shut down problem trying to restart. I can not get the videos to work at all and causing freeses.
I have a HP Dual 1.8 processor with 2 gig memory Nivida 6150 video card with updated drivers and 2 hard drives runing on XP service pack . I turn off all other programs and dedicated computer for Hoster only.
I am open to any suggestions on settings.
Thank You
Mike
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

You are going to need to explain a bit more about your monitor problem.
Is it that you are not turning on the 2nd monitor until after starting the computer?
Is the 2nd monitor showing the desktop background and not the Hoster display?

As far as your other problems there are several things.
Have you done the Custom Updates from Microsoft?
Do you have Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 9 or 11 installed?
Have you tried changing the Color Quality from 32 bit to 16 bit?
Does the lag happen all the time or does it happen later in the show only?
I have a feeling that the on-board video card is causing your Videos problem. Could be because it shares memory with the processor instead of having dedicated memory of it's own.
Do they freeze momentarily then continue on or just freeze completely?
What type of videos are you trying to play?
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Honor Roll

The only thing I would add is the Nivida 6150 does not have any dedicated memory. You can, if you are comfortable, set aside part of your memory in the BIOS to use as video memory. I would start at 64MB and increase to 128MB if that doesn't work. Bear in mind that system ram is slower than video ram and it may or may not work.

This seems to be a recurring theme in the Hoster upgrade. You need plenty of dedicated video ram. I am not sure if this will cure your problem, but is the best advice I can give.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswisher View Post
runing on XP service pack .
Hey Mike,
I hope you are running XP SP3. If you've done everything that Dale and Mark suggested and still have problems, I would advise you to get a new video card. I bought one from Wal-Mart last month for $99.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Thank yous for the time you took to reply.
I am new to forums and will do my best to explain.

The system I am expalining is a laptop and the video is sodered on the motherboard and I was informed would be very hard to replace so that option a little farther then I think I will venture but thanks for the suggestion and would change if feasible.
Whith the video suggestion I was told to back down the drivers an see if that would help.

The media player I am using was just upgraded to 11 a little while back and I am not using Internet Exployer 7 since I rarely take this system on the Internet, in fact to upgrade virus protection to download from Hoster or upgrade drivers.
All updates are loaded with exception to Exployer 7.

Color quality was changed 16 bit.

I have always had sperotic lag even with the older versions of Hoster and was't sure if it was possibly in the settings of virtural memory but like I said its sperotic and not every time.

Now I had the error log checked by a tech and he informed me on several of the reports it was focused on Hoster and Media Player and deep into the Windows files and in his opinion it would benefit me to reload XP Pro and try again.

I was going to upgrade the hard drive anyway so I guess that will be the way to start and am open to any suggestions on settings.

Again I thank yous very much for your suggestion and help and will post back to the results.

Sorry the videos I was trying were the Pioneer disks.

Mike
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Thank yous for the time you took to reply.
I am new to forums and will do my best to explain.

The system I am expalining is a laptop and the video is sodered on the motherboard and I was informed would be very hard to replace so that option a little farther then I think I will venture but thanks for the suggestion and would change if feasible.
Whith the video suggestion I was told to back down the drivers an see if that would help.

The media player I am using was just upgraded to 11 a little while back and I am not using Internet Exployer 7 since I rarely take this system on the Internet, in fact to upgrade virus protection to download from Hoster or upgrade drivers.
All updates are loaded with exception to Exployer 7.

Color quality was changed 16 bit.

I have always had sperotic lag even with the older versions of Hoster and was't sure if it was possibly in the settings of virtural memory but like I said its sperotic and not every time.

Now I had the error log checked by a tech and he informed me on several of the reports it was focused on Hoster and Media Player and deep into the Windows files and in his opinion it would benefit me to reload XP Pro and try again.

I was going to upgrade the hard drive anyway so I guess that will be the way to start and am open to any suggestions on settings.

Again I thank yous very much for your suggestion and help and will post back to the results.

Sorry the videos I was trying were the Pioneer disks.

Mike
before you removed the hhd, make sure you removed hoster, and you have to be connected to the internet to removed it, that way hoster knows that it's been removed, so that the next time you install hoster back, you won't have any problems, if not you'll get an error msg." already connected into 2 comp." before you install hoster, make sure to do all the updates, not just the recommended, make sure you do the custom updates ( very important ) do not update/download netframe 3.5

Last edited by billyo; November 18th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Was this by chance Geek Squad? This is their answer to everything. Next, they will tell you you had a virus and they have to charge you more to fix it. There is a side benefit to reloading your operating system. It will clear out anything that you may have inadvertently installed. If you do not take your system on the internet, you probably don't need an anti-virus or anti-spyware. Those can be disabled, and don't require a new operating system install.

I feel like your root problem is with the video card, or lack thereof. There is only so much you can do to try and work around this. I really hate to give this advice, but, I think you should consider a different machine for your gigs. You don't need the latest and greatest processor. I run my shows on a 1.8 GHz pentium single core. I bought the one I am using from PacificGeek for $80. I just checked, and they have a 3.2GHz with XP Pro for $140. What I do spend my $$ on is the video card. I would pair this with the 256MB PNY Verto GeForce 6500 for $52 also upgrade the memory to 2gb for another $40 and for less than $250 you have good solid machine. Please don't think I'm a shill for these guys, I am only pointing out 1 of many options. I would just hate for you to waste your time on a laptop that when it is all said and done, will barely, if ever, run Hoster songs, not to mention videos.
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Was this by chance Geek Squad? This is their answer to everything. Next, they will tell you you had a virus and they have to charge you more to fix it. There is a side benefit to reloading your operating system. It will clear out anything that you may have inadvertently installed. If you do not take your system on the internet, you probably don't need an anti-virus or anti-spyware. Those can be disabled, and don't require a new operating system install.

I feel like your root problem is with the video card, or lack thereof. There is only so much you can do to try and work around this. I really hate to give this advice, but, I think you should consider a different machine for your gigs. You don't need the latest and greatest processor. I run my shows on a 1.8 GHz pentium single core. I bought the one I am using from PacificGeek for $80. I just checked, and they have a 3.2GHz with XP Pro for $140. What I do spend my $$ on is the video card. I would pair this with the 256MB PNY Verto GeForce 6500 for $52 also upgrade the memory to 2gb for another $40 and for less than $250 you have good solid machine. Please don't think I'm a shill for these guys, I am only pointing out 1 of many options. I would just hate for you to waste your time on a laptop that when it is all said and done, will barely, if ever, run Hoster songs, not to mention videos.
I would check the NVIDIA settings and run the card in a configuration that would utilize less memory. Do you know if the video card is using shared memory or has its own dedicated memory?
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I would check the NVIDIA settings and run the card in a configuration that would utilize less memory. Do you know if the video card is using shared memory or has its own dedicated memory?
I'll answer this one for them. No, it doesn't have dedicated memory. That is why I suggested to set aside memory in Bios.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Thank yous for all the advice.
I am going to a Dart shoot this weekend and will not be able to work on the laptop but when I return I had already bought a 320 gig hard drive which I was going to upgrade anyway and start from scratch with XP Pro.
Yous have already been more help then the geeks which I ma not to impressed with anyway based on a few thngs asked them on other issues.
I will then follow all the posts and try and fine tune the laptop and hopefully it will work allright and maybe have to ask a little more indepth in the areas of the settings.
Thank yous all for your help in this matter and wish I had something in the advice area to share back.

thank yous
Mike
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mark don't tell him we are geeks too We just have a little more specific knowledge about the MTU programs in relation to computers.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Mark don't tell him we are geeks too We just have a little more specific knowledge about the MTU programs in relation to computers.
Thanks for the smile, Dale
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:14 AM

I agree this is a MAJOR headache!!

Hi,

I purchased a Hoster.....spent the 2600.00 for it...the company got in touch with me right away to 'take my money'....and then when I need help with getting started they 'disappeared'...NOT ONE PERSON has called me back, emailed me since my purchase in Sept. I am ready to contact my credit card company and put a stop to the payment....
ALL I want to know is HOW the heck do you download the cdgs on the computer....I know you stick the cd in BUT there is a file that you have to download it to so nothing can be quickly 'deleted' right? This company is really starting to get to me. I think they don't call back on purpose. I even tried telling them I wanted to 'order more stuff'....Attorney General here I come.....
Michelle in Pa
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Hi,

I purchased a Hoster.....spent the 2600.00 for it...the company got in touch with me right away to 'take my money'....and then when I need help with getting started they 'disappeared'...NOT ONE PERSON has called me back, emailed me since my purchase in Sept. I am ready to contact my credit card company and put a stop to the payment....
ALL I want to know is HOW the heck do you download the cdgs on the computer....I know you stick the cd in BUT there is a file that you have to download it to so nothing can be quickly 'deleted' right? This company is really starting to get to me. I think they don't call back on purpose. I even tried telling them I wanted to 'order more stuff'....Attorney General here I come.....
Michelle in Pa
Michelle, Dale (ddouglas) and the owner of the company (admin) were trying to help you in this Step by Step Help? Forum post set up for you. You never replied back, so we all assumed you figured it out.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Michelle,
Here are the steps:
1. Open Hoster by double clicking on desktop Icon.
2. Click on Import Songs at top of screen.
3. Slide down and click on Import from CD.
4. When the Import window opens, Find the Brand box and fill in with name of company (Sound Choice, Chartbuster, Top Hits Monthly, etc.).
5. Find the DiskID box and fill this in. (DiskID consists of initials of company like SC, CB, etc. and the ID Number from the disk label.) There is a dropdown list that will show if you click on down-arrow to right of box and from that list you can select the correct one.
6. Insert the CD in the drive.
7. Click the Search Local Database button and wait for it to fill in the track list below. Then verify that it has the correct information.
8. Click Select All button. Each of the tracks will have a check mark in front of it and Ready in the Status column.
9. Click Next button to get the next available BookID (this is how you identify the tracks to add to the playlist).
10. Click Import Selected Tracks button and sit back while Hoster Imports the files to a folder (C:\MTU\KMA Files) on your hard drive.

That is about as basic as I can get it. When you do this I am sure more questions will come up. But please post any further questions in your thread (Admin made it a new thread) Step by Step Help?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM

OK I have returned from the dart tournament.
Clerafication on the Geeks and in reference to earlier comments.
At a local Dept. Store the geek I had discussion for help had no clue and I think knew lees then myself which isn't a whole lot so sorry if I offended anyone else.
I installed the new 320 gig hd and reloaded XP Pro.
I went inot the Bios and set the memory to 128 and backed the resolution in the settings to 16 bit. I downloaded net frame to 2.0 and installed direct x 9.0 and also a dvd program.
I have upgraded to service pack 3 and reloaded Hoster 4.06.
I was just focused on the videos right now and have not had the time ot check out the other problems sinde they were speroctic before and not all the time.
Now I have tried the video, Pioneer Karaoke DVD adn still encounter an error problem which shuts down Hoster. If any help its code 0xc0000005.
and thanks again for the suggestions which I believe I foolowed with exception of buying a new laptop.
Thanks

Mike
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
OK I have returned from the dart tournament.
Clerafication on the Geeks and in reference to earlier comments.
At a local Dept. Store the geek I had discussion for help had no clue and I think knew lees then myself which isn't a whole lot so sorry if I offended anyone else.
I installed the new 320 gig hd and reloaded XP Pro.
I went inot the Bios and set the memory to 128 and backed the resolution in the settings to 16 bit. I downloaded net frame to 2.0 and installed direct x 9.0 and also a dvd program.
I have upgraded to service pack 3 and reloaded Hoster 4.06.
I was just focused on the videos right now and have not had the time ot check out the other problems sinde they were speroctic before and not all the time.
Now I have tried the video, Pioneer Karaoke DVD adn still encounter an error problem which shuts down Hoster. If any help its code 0xc0000005.
and thanks again for the suggestions which I believe I foolowed with exception of buying a new laptop.
Thanks

Mike
you won't be able to import a dvd on hoster yet, from what i've been reading it will be on the next upgrade around mid of 2009, you have to import your dvd as a dat. file in your int. drive, and hoster will play it by clicking the video tab..as far as the error code i am not able to help you with that since i have never encountered it..did you do all the updates before you installed hoster, the recommended and very important all the custom updates ? if not do so and you should also have netframe 3.0( not 3.5 ) and wmp 9 or 11.just thought about it are you talking about a vcd ( karaoke cd, or a regular dvd music video/movie ? ) if i'm
not mistaken and hope someone would correct me on this i think you need somekind of a codec ( not sure if that was the name ) in order for you to be able to import /download a dvd..

Last edited by billyo; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:07 PM.