MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Drunks..what to do with them

Hi all. I'm looking for some fellow KJ advice here. I have been KJ'ing for a couple years now and have sang in band for 8 years now, so my experience with drunks is extensive..BUT, its wearing me down and a drunk is a different thing with Karaoke than with a band. Just some ideas on how to please the crowd with out being offensive or having to act like a wet blanket per se.

Some jump on stage while others are singing because they want to sing that song too. or they hang out with me and my husband at the laptop and cause great distractions. this is not always the case nightly but it happens often enough to ask for a little advise. thanks to all that answer.

peppe and wendy, Joky Karaoke, Naples, Italy
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
VIP

Can't offer anything right now, but a good thread to develop useful discussion from.

This (drunks acting out) is starting to happen to me
a lot lately. So, I'm listening.

Old March 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Can't offer anything right now, but a good thread to develop useful discussion from.

This (drunks acting out) is starting to happen to me
a lot lately. So, I'm listening.
i'm not sure if this will work, i have a karaoke rules in all my songbooks, the first page actually..i know that some people hated it, but thats the only thing that can stop people ( drunk ) from jumping in and also protect your gears..specially the wanna be rockstar.swinging the mic etc..
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
VIP

Rules in the book are a start, I have them as well. Now you have to be the enforcer of those rules. If you say people aren't allowed to jump on the stage while another is singing, you need to get the joiner off the stage & explain it's not their turn.
If people are standing at your laptop, you need to ask them to go sit down while you are working, if you have a chance, you'll come visit for a few at their table.
The bartenders/security also need to have your back, if someone gives you guff for having them sit down when it's not their turn on the mic, then the bar staff needs to do their job as well - if not, the place probably isn't worth keeping.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM

When you start a new place, lay the rules down fast and hard. As Lonman said, stop it as soon as it happens. Be polite but firm. No one on stage except who the singers wants up there. Don't put up with folks heckling the singer regardless how bad they are. You take up for your singers and they will take up for you. I tell my hecklers the standard line. "If you don't like what is being sung, then pick something out you would like to sing. If you can't sing, then find someone who will sing your song. If you're still not happy and can't keep your mouth shut; we've got a front door and a back door. Take your pick."

That usually gets a thunderous roar of approval from the crowd. The offender seems to always then do one of two things: shuts up and behaves or gets up and leaves.

The bartenders and I watch each others back. If I say someone has to go they are told to leave by management. I'm fortunate in that regard. When they know the KJ or 'Host" has the power to order you to leave they seem to pay a little more attention to the rules.

Keep your rules fair and enforce them. I don't have my "rules" written in my book. Maybe I should. But I tend to give everyone the benefit of doubt that they know the golden rule and I expect then to act and treat others like I would. I guess I feel by putting rules in the book it sends a message that I expect there to be problems. I personally have just found it easier to enforce them as they happen. Doesn't take long and they seem to learn.

I have found drunks to be a lot like kids. They respect strict consistent "punishment" as long as it's fair.

Just my two cents.

Kelly
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well said Kelly. I have found that as long as the establishment and you can work together and just like parents be consistent then those problems seldom come up.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Awesome Answers!

THANKS FOR SUCH GREAT RESPONSES! This is a serious thing and handling it well can save your business and your reputation. I really like the idea of a rule list in the hand book and i will implement this immediatly. The bartenders should have our backs, in fact its their establishment and they should take more interest, but, a funny thing about here is that the bartenders are Italian and not very assertive, italians are lovers not fighters, contrary to popular belief, so having them watch my back is a little harder than expected. but I love the ideas and look forward to this thread growing because I think that more host/KJ's could use the help. the end result for all of us here is to have a successful fulling business in music, being that this is what we all are passionate about. Thanks alot to all of you..love the conversations and advice and just general info at this site. it just confirms that my husband and I are doing the right thing with our business and with our desire to entertain the public!! kudos to all.

Peppe and wendy. joky karaoke, naples, italy
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
VIP

Most people, drunk or sober, rarely take the time to read an entire page of anything. And rules are one less notch below an "anything\". In fact, I asked a total of 20 of MY friends who were at a bar one night, who were not drunk, knew me well, and had manners. I asked them if they had ever seen the front page of rules. They said they didn't know there was one there. They had been regular followers for over a year. I hardly think that the drunks are goping to take the time and say to each other "gee, better read this or I'll get in trouble".

I have two big screens on each wall that display things constsntl like "don't step on the stage please" or "don't interupt the singer". Yet, I've had people do just that and say "oh, i didn't know I was not supposed to".

I'm not sure what the easy answer is here.

Old March 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
VIP

Quote:
Most people, drunk or sober, rarely take the time to read an entire page of anything. And rules are one less notch below an "anything\". In fact, I asked a total of 20 of MY friends who were at a bar one night, who were not drunk, knew me well, and had manners. I asked them if they had ever seen the front page of rules. They said they didn't know there was one there. They had been regular followers for over a year. I hardly think that the drunks are goping to take the time and say to each other "gee, better read this or I'll get in trouble".

I have two big screens on each wall that display things constsntl like "don't step on the stage please" or "don't interupt the singer". Yet, I've had people do just that and say "oh, i didn't know I was not supposed to".

I'm not sure what the easy answer is here.
Which is true, not all will read it, but many will & respect them. The ones that don't, you educate them. Our club even paid the money for an 7x4 foot wall version that no one can miss.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
VIP

I see Lonny. I think most bars in rural maine are not that close knit. They are just a bunch of middle class people bar owners trying to get real rich fast w/o putting themselves thru a lot of extra work, e.g., get the ppl in and serve 'em.

Like I said 20 out of 20 of my respectable friends knew nothing about the rules page. Some may look at a page like that and say "gee, there's a rule page". that's it.

How often do you read ALL your junk mail. that is junk to them, the important mail is the songlists from which they choose their songs.

Old March 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
VIP

Quote:
How often do you read ALL your junk mail. that is junk to them, the important mail is the songlists from which they choose their songs.
Which brings up - how many actually look through the book anymore? I know I have several that just put up songs - most I have (are from regs), but some newbies don't even know & put up songs without even checking if it's there or not.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM

When I help one of my KJ ladies, I constantly work the room and talk to the patrons. I never seem to have any trouble that way.

The worst ones are your good friends who get loaded. If one of them tries to get on the stage with another singer without an invitation, I simply have a set procedure my girls always use...........turn the song off. Then I ask the singer if he/she wants it to be a duet. Depending on the answer, we continue the show. Sometimes they don't mind, but most of the time they say "thank you". Every time thus far, the drunk has simply given some mumbled apology and walked away.

As soon as that happens you get instant reaction from the drunk and from the crowd. They police if for you very quickly and easily. It's amazing what his friends will do to shut him up, including putting him out the door.
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:44 AM

rules sheet

very interesting...the rules sheet I guess is a good start for those who read it, and then just policing the area better is an added solution. I have a very tight crowd here, in the fact that most of them are friends, the barracks is right across the street from the pub, that causes a little problem in itself. but not everyone that comes is 19 to 25 and working together. Please continue the comments and suggestions...its all really helpful.

thanks peppe and wendy joky karaoke, naples, Italy
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:37 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Which brings up - how many actually look through the book anymore? I know I have several that just put up songs - most I have (are from regs), but some newbies don't even know & put up songs without even checking if it's there or not.
Lonman, Exactly.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:35 PM

I also have a rule sheet. I also have at the bottom of that rule sheet that if you turn in a song slip you are agreeing to abide by these rules which then in turn puts them into a legal binding contract even if they do not read them or not. If they break anything they are the ones to replace the broken property or equipment. If they break one of the rules they are no longer to sing for the rest of that night. The bars I play in also enforce the rules along with me. If someone gets drunk and out of control they will be asked to stop. If they do not stop then they are asked to leave. Reason being the bar rather kick out one person then have 5 or 10 leave because they can not stand the drunk ruining the show.
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM

drunks

anyone in this biz is gonna get 'em. Its a fact of our lives. You know most are being friendly and are interested. Give them a minute or two and show them how things work and then let them know you are being paid to work and tell them thanks for the interest. Rarely does anyone come alone. Feel free to ask their friends to move them along. Ask nicely and explain the situation and the cost of your equipment. Have a code word or some signal you can give the bouncer or owner when things get out of hand. And one of my favs for the bad ones is to say hey let me buy you a beer. Get them away from your equipment. Go up to the bar and explain yourself. Do the listen we're all here for a good time but this is my job and I could get fired if I goof off to much. It never fails. Also what has worked for me a number of times is if they are really trashed and we walk up to the bar I turn around and leave. You'd be surprised how many times that has worked for me. And guard your equipment always (its your living). Finally smile, smile, smile. Hard to get angry at someone who won't get mad!
Good Luck,
marko
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:40 AM

best yet Marko!

best advice! pure simple and I think it could and would work. I am fortunate that I have a partner ( my Husband ) most of the time with me so the opprotunity to walk away from the equipment is there. I still will make the rules list just cause it makes sense. But I think I like yours the best. I'm printing it out and taking on gigs!
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM

just a funny note to you all

wish I could see pics of all of you. I've got to know your names nad opinions and now would love to see who you all are.

wendy