MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Songverter Software > Songverter Help

Songverter Help Post Songverter questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Runtime Error in Songverter

Hi,

I just installed Songverter, and am receiving this error:

Runtime Error!
Program: ...\Micro Technology Unlimited\Songverter\Songverter.exe

abnormal program termination.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, Songverter 1.000.

Odd thing is that it occurs randomly. I got it when I first started the program, exited out, went back in and was able to convert about 1500 KMA files to WMA+G, and then it crashed with this error again!

I just exited the error and went back in and started it on the file that it crashed on, and it's working (for now)... we'll see how long it goes.

Any suggestions?
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Unhappy Had Same Problem/Support Response Included

August 29, 2007, 5:30 pmSongverter Problems[] Client
Name: Patricia
Windows: XPHOME

Question:
Trying to use demo of Songverter and having runtime errors etc. Went to forum and seems people have lots of problems but no solutions for mine. Able to convert kma file to bin and some audio format to audio format only files but unable to convert from zip files or to zip files from kma or anything else without runtime errors. Have all necessary components, plenty of space etc on fairly decent hp machine. Tried all kinds of variations. Runtime error says this app has requested the runtime to terminate this app in an unusual way and to contact apps support team. I am assuming from reading forum pages that I am not alone in these problems. From what I read I presume I will have the same problems with the program that I'm having with the demo. Received an e-mail saying I could buy the program for $10 off by tomorrow and I really really want it but am afraid to buy it now with your new no refund policy. Suggestions or fixes????? Thank you!

August 30, 2007, 4:04 pmRE: Songverter Problems - mtusupport

If you have all of the Windows Updates, I would say that is not the problem. But You might try this FAQ anyways http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?action=kb&article=84

Then, you might want to make sure that you have the recommended version of the Lame_enc.dll file that supports all the MP3 operations that Songverter uses. Download it from here if you have the right to: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

August 30, 2007, 4:18 pm RE: Songverter Problems - Client
Well, as I said I have all necessary components on my machine. I already have all necessary windows updates which I know how to install. I also read everything on your site before giving up and writing to you for help. I downloaded the appropriate lame encoder file and discovered that the "very latest" version that you refer to was not as current as the one already on my computer. You should take note of the 2004 date. This indicates to me that the problem is not with my system but with your product. Is this correct?

ADMIN NOTE: SassyPatty's Dll was newer, but inferior as it does not support all the MP3 operations Songverter uses. Once she installed our recommended version she is running fine. Songerver 1.001 is being re-engineered to not just detect a Lame DLL, but to test it to insure it supports all the features Songerverter uses. If not, a notice appears and MP3 is disabled, allowing use of the other Songverter functions.

Unless you offer me further assistance I guess I will not be making use of the $10 off deal that expires today and will be waiting to see if there are improvements in your product before reconsidering purchasing it.
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassypatty View Post
August 29, 2007, 5:30 pmSongverter Problems[] Client
Name: Patricia
Windows: XPHOME

Question:
Trying to use demo of Songverter and having runtime errors etc. Went to forum and seems people have lots of problems but no solutions for mine. Able to convert kma file to bin and some audio format to audio format only files but unable to convert from zip files or to zip files from kma or anything else without runtime errors. Have all necessary components, plenty of space etc on fairly decent hp machine. Tried all kinds of variations. Runtime error says this app has requested the runtime to terminate this app in an unusual way and to contact apps support team. I am assuming from reading forum pages that I am not alone in these problems. From what I read I presume I will have the same problems with the program that I'm having with the demo. Received an e-mail saying I could buy the program for $10 off by tomorrow and I really really want it but am afraid to buy it now with your new no refund policy. Suggestions or fixes????? Thank you!

August 30, 2007, 4:04 pmRE: Songverter Problemsmtusupport

If you have all of the Windows Updates, I would say that is not the problem. But You might try this FAQ anyways http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?action=kb&article=84

Then, you might want to make sure that you have the very latest version of the Lame_enc.dll file. Which you can download from here http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

August 30, 2007, 4:18 pmRE: Songverter Problems[ ] Client
Well, as I said I have all necessary components on my machine. I already have all necessary windows updates which I know how to install. I also read everything on your site before giving up and writing to you for help. I downloaded the appropriate lame encoder file and discovered that the "very latest" version that you refer to was not as current as the one already on my computer. You should take note of the 2004 date. This indicates to me that the problem is not with my system but with your product. Is this correct? Unless you offer me further assistance I guess I will not be making use of the $10 off deal that expires today and will be waiting to see if there are improvements in your product before reconsidering purchasing it.

Thanks. I do have all the Windows updates, and got the Lame DLL today when I installed the program. I purchased it today to get the $10 off... It's working fine for KMA to WMA files as long as I do small "bunches" of files, and don't try to do the entire directory of files at once.
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I downloaded the appropriate lame encoder file and discovered that the "very latest" version that you refer to was not as current as the one already on my computer. You should take note of the 2004 date. This indicates to me that the problem is not with my system but with your product. Is this correct?
I would suggest using the version of lame_enc.dll that MTU points you to. There are several out there, and the date is not always an indicator of the latest support level. You can rename the version you have and then place the new one into your C:\Windows\System32 directory. See if this helps at all.

Quote:
Unless you offer me further assistance I guess I will not be making use of the $10 off deal that expires today and will be waiting to see if there are improvements in your product before reconsidering purchasing it.
MTU is very understanding when it comes to difficulties with software and the like. I know that the company happens to be closed for the long weekend. But if you contact them regarding the inability to use the coupon before it expires, I'd bet they will most likely be able to extend it for you.
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post
I would suggest using the version of lame_enc.dll that MTU points you to. There are several out there, and the date is not always an indicator of the latest support level. You can rename the version you have and then place the new one into your C:\Windows\System32 directory. See if this helps at all.

MTU is very understanding when it comes to difficulties with software and the like. I know that the company happens to be closed for the long weekend. But if you contact them regarding the inability to use the coupon before it expires, I'd bet they will most likely be able to extend it for you.
Interestingly, I'm doing conversions of SMALL batches of files, say 100-500 at a time, and it has NOT crashed on me since I started this method...!!! Being a former software developer, I'm thinking that this MAY help point MTU to what's causing the error... at least for my method of conversions.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Cool Thanks!

I've been thinking about doing just that with the dll file. Thank you! I did mention in my e-mails to MTU the coupon and the expiration date and my unwillingness to buy prior to it's expiration today. I also have had opportunity in the recent past to be e-mailing with Dave Cox from MTU and sent him a personal e-mail regarding this situation. We will see what happens. Also, did not know they were closed already for the long weekend since it is thursday. Again, thanks! If I try the dll file I'll post regarding my success. I'm not real excited currently since the KMA files would need renaming anyway. I'm starting to think I should just rerip those discs into the other format instead so I get automatic song naming and just forget songverter for now.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Red face Response to Runtime Error Fix Suggestions

Just to let you know this error was occurring in the demo version as I mentioned previously. I was only attempting to do one file at a time. It did not happen when I converted from an audio file format but did happen when attempting to convert KMA or zips to any other formats. I accomplished converting from KMA to a bin and that was all. I could not convert the bin after. Also my KMA files were loaded straight from discs into Hoster. Perhaps this info will be useful at some point. May still try that dll file just to see. I also note that people are having trouble running some of their converted files after the fact. Have you guys played the songs and had any problems?
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Just to let you know this error was occurring in the demo version as I mentioned previously. I was only attempting to do one file at a time. It did not happen when I converted from an audio file format but did happen when attempting to convert KMA or zips to any other formats. I accomplished converting from KMA to a bin and that was all. I could not convert the bin after. Also my KMA files were loaded straight from discs into Hoster. Perhaps this info will be useful at some point. May still try that dll file just to see. I also note that people are having trouble running some of their converted files after the fact. Have you guys played the songs and had any problems?
Hmmmm... Mine were also all loaded from CD's, except for a few that I purchased online and downloaded, converted and imported from HD.

I've only run ONE WMA file, for audio only, and it was OK. I'll be trying more tonight, as I'm hosting a Karaoke night, and will try a few WMA's early in the night.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you don't use the dll that MTU points you to you will have problems, especially with anything to do with MP3, MP3+G, zipped MP3+G or KMA files created from the same (HDMP3 and HDZIP).

That dll was chosen because the more current one (date-wise) would not handle all the formats.

Nowhere in your copied ticket info or in any of your posts here have you stated the exact error message. Runtime errors cover a multitude of sins so that isn't much help in determining the exact problem.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrosier View Post
Interestingly, I'm doing conversions of SMALL batches of files, say 100-500 at a time, and it has NOT crashed on me since I started this method...!!! Being a former software developer, I'm thinking that this MAY help point MTU to what's causing the error... at least for my method of conversions.
By doing the large batch you were trying you could be running out of page space and memory, preventing the program from recieving data or a response on time. Consider this. How many times are you going to be converting that many files at once? It's like importing into Hoster...it takes along time to begin with, but after that you will add much less at a time as you update your listings with the new releases.
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM

Cool dll file

Mr Dale Douglass: I appreciate your response. If you read back to my original post on 8/30 to rcrosier with my copy of the e-mail to MTU support and read it you will see that I did state exactly what the runtime error said! You will also note that the response I got was to download the "very latest version" of the dll file.

ADMIN NOTE: I edited the "MTU quote" above to make it correctly worded. Thus, Sassypatty is right in what she said here. I didn't want others reading this to have the same confusion.

This is the first time someone has said that the dll file chosen is "not" the latest version. I will give it a try since I saved it in a file. I will be unable to do so until next week sometime at this point but will let you know what happens. Am curious to know if Steve from the other thread regarding this exact same situation (with the exact same error message) who has been talking to a tech has actually done so as well. I guess we will wait until he returns in a week also.

Thank you for your help and courteous response.
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM

dll file

Well, i finally had a chance to use the lame dll file that mtu wants you to use. My demo version of Songverter works but there is no ability to convert from or to zipped wma files. I also had synchronization issues on a couple of the songs with the graphics and music when I played the zipped mpg3 files back. These files were ripped from kma files to zipped mpg3. So, apparently the "lastest" version of the lame dll file is "not" the way to go and one should use the dll file mtu points you to. I still will probably not be excited about using this program at the moment since it will be faster to rip from the original discs so I can get the disc and song naming feature for all the songs automatically rather than attempting to rename all the kma files on my drive. I would also utilize the program further if it also ripped from and to zipped wma files. I am also concerned about the playback quirks at the moment and will monitor the progress of the updates on this program as I think it will be useful in the future after these bugs are worked out.
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My demo version of Songverter works but there is no ability to convert from or to zipped wma files.
Patty,

What program uses zipped WMA + CDG files? I always thought the default for the karaoke world was MP3 + CDG. If there's something out there that uses WMA+G zipped files, that would be an improvement (imho), as wma's compression is better than mp3's. Thanks.
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Wink hosters

Exactly!!!! Compuhost! See karaokeware.com! Good luck!
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrosier View Post
Thanks for this bug lead! Greatly appreciated!!!

We've added it to our Songverter 1.001 spec to do this week. Look for a fix soon.
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thanks for this bug lead! Greatly appreciated!!!

We've added it to our Songverter 1.001 spec to do this week. Look for a fix soon.
You are most welcome! I hope it helps.
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
1. Well, i finally had a chance to use the lame dll file that mtu wants you to use. My demo version of Songverter works

2. but there is no ability to convert from or to zipped wma files. I also had synchronization issues on a couple of the songs with the graphics and music when I played the zipped mpg3 files back. These files were ripped from kma files to zipped mpg3.

3. So, apparently the "lastest" version of the lame dll file is "not" the way to go and one should use the dll file mtu points you to.

4. I still will probably not be excited about using this program at the moment since it will be faster to rip from the original discs so I can get the disc and song naming feature for all the songs automatically rather than attempting to rename all the kma files on my drive. I would also utilize the program further if it also ripped from and to zipped wma files.

5. I am also concerned about the playback quirks at the moment and will monitor the progress of the updates on this program as I think it will be useful in the future after these bugs are worked out.
1. We're sorry the misstatement of "latest" was wrong. I edited it above (and added notes that you were right) to state that Songverter requires a DLL that supports ALL the MP3 functions that Songverter supports. Songverter 1.001 will soon release, and it now accurately checks any found Lame DLL as to supported functions, disabling MP3 use if any are not supported. This will allow running all the other functions in Songverter without MP3 until you replace the DLL.

2. Adding ZIPPED WMA+G support is trivial, and is being added into version 1.001 as I type.

3. See my #1 above.

4. The other program may "currently" be perceived as faster, but realize that MTU's import error correction in both Hoster and Microstudio is superior to what you are looking at. In another forum their owner tried to prod me to reveal what techniques we used.

5. Sassypatty, to my knowledge, you are the only person to report any out of sync lyrics after conversion. Knowing what we are doing, I'd first suspect your original was out of sync also. If not, we have a bug and it will surface over time... assuming others report the same as you. Being the "point girl" isn't a bad thing, but you should realize Songverter is a brand new release, and you're pushing the envelope... and MTU is responding quickly.

REQUEST: Please email support at mtu dot com one of your master format files that is converting to another format and playing the lyrics out of sync. We will verify what is causing this to happen so we can fix it... assuming it is happening.

Also please post here what player you are using to verify the converted files. We need this to verify your reported problem. If it is not an MTU player, please try playing in Microstudio and post your findings.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM

Songverter help needed

I have a brand new PC, super fast, Windows XL, 2 gigs of ram, 500 gig HD WD external.

At the thought of being able to convert my 6000 karaoke songs from kma to mp3+g ( when I ripped my library with Hoster, I knew of no other options) Now Im stuck with 6000 karaoke songs that took me 3 months to rip and no other program will play them. I have bought Hoser 3 times and as we change computers and / or need to format I cant get Hoster to allow me to re instal the program. So I immediately bought the congverter program (not trial version)

I fought to get the exact suggested lame file in the windows system folder as instructed.

I stopped all programs, office, antivirus to dedicate the machine to this large conversion process.

after 1000 or so converts we get the following message

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library"

Program...les\micro technology unlimited\songverter\songverter.exe

this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way. Please contact application support team.

I dont know if the 1000 songs converted are okay or not? I am trying to convert to mp+3 at 192k and dont know if thats best?

Help
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baransy View Post
...I dont know if the 1000 songs converted are okay or not?
Odds are that if the last couple of songs are okay then the other 999 will be as well
Quote:
I am trying to convert to mp+3 at 192k and dont know if thats best?

Help
If you are talking audio quality it will depend on what the kma's were ripped at. Since wma (the audio portion of a kma) is generally better quality than mp3, you'll have to stick to a higher bit rate for mp3 than what the kma was ripped at. IE: if the kma's were at 128 or less then mp3 at 192 will probably be compareable.

Sam
Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM

Songverter run time problems

While using Songverter to convert KMA to mp3+g

I got a new message / error

"Songverter.exe - common language runtime debugging service

Process id = 0xa918 (2328) thread id = 0xa58 (2648)
click ok to terminate the application
click cancel to de bug the application

I clicked cancel to de bug

message songverter.exe no debugger found
registered JIT debugger is not avaialble. An attempt to launce a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code 0x2 (2) cordbg.exe ! a 0x918

Help!

Matthew