MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old October 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Question Old CD-R Drive + New Upgrade = Nothing

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows XP and found that my version of Microstudio no longer worked. I bought the Karaoke Suite Upgrade and installed it last night. When I plugged in my hp cd-writer 8230e, an external USB drive, Microstudio did not even detect it. From what I can tell in these forums, this drive is not supposed to work with the MTU software.

Here is the kicker.... I used my 8230e for years with my older versions of the Microstudio software on this same PC, except that it was running Windows ME. I could copy and burn CD+G tracks with no problems using this drive.

The new version of Microstudio (version 2.612) did detect my two internal drives and an external Memorex writer attached to this PC, but all three loudly proclaimed "NO" to karaoke support. The 8230e does not even show up in the list, yet it is clearly visible in "My Computer". I even tested an audio CD in the 8230e, and it played just fine in Windows Media Player. What gives?

Hopefully, there is some setting I need to change or some driver that needs to be added. Otherwise, I have to come up with a couple hundred bucks for a Plextor from MTU.
Old October 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM

The first thing I'd try would be to go to the Microsoft website and download any XP Service pack upgrades available..Your XP could have been put on the shelf before all the upgrades were made available.

While you're there, download the latest version of DirectX. I believe it's 9.0c, but if it's later, that's all right. Don't know which version you have, but you're going to be there anyway. If you already have the latest, no harm done.

Worth a stab anyway.

George
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Exclamation I tried that too!

Thanks for the reply George.... Been there done that, but the drive is still not detected.
Old October 8th, 2005, 01:56 PM

See if one of the ASPI driver solutions at this link might help.

http://www.mtu.com/support/faq/faq-microstudio.htm

George
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM

George....

I just tried to load the ASPI driver and this is the results that displayed in the command prompt window....

C:\ASPI>install.bat XP32
"Step 1 of 3 : REGISTRY MODIFIED FOR ASPI32"
The system cannot find the path specified.
0 file(s) copied.
"Step 2 of 3 : COPYING ASPI32.SYS"
The system cannot find the path specified.
0 file(s) copied.
"Step 3 of 3 : COPYING WNASPI32.DLL"

What should I try now?
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM

The last thing I can think of is go into Microstudio, click TOOLS, then ASPI DRIVERS, and change the driver from the Microstudio installed driver to the default driver. You must close Microstudio and reopen for that to take effect.

I probably should have had you go there first, but honestly it escaped me until now

If that doesn't get it, then perhaps Support can pull something out of his bag of tricks. Having had it work with Microstudio before makes me reluctant to say the burner won't work.

George
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all your assistance George....
I did that change that you suggested, but it didn't change a thing.

Another probelm I have found with this upgrade is that CDG tracks I have saved to disk do not play properly in Microstudio. The graphics were so slow that one song ended before the opening credits finished. I will probably have to post this in another area as it is not directly related to my drive problem, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapDude
Thanks for all your assistance George....
I did that change that you suggested, but it didn't change a thing.

Another probelm I have found with this upgrade is that CDG tracks I have saved to disk do not play properly in Microstudio. The graphics were so slow that one song ended before the opening credits finished. I will probably have to post this in another area as it is not directly related to my drive problem, but if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
See if post #4 in the thread linked below regarding changing hardware accellerator may help.

http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?p=42496#post42496

George
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:56 PM

George....

I put the slider all the way to the left and it made an noticable improvement, but it is not perfectly in sync with the music... maybe about 5-10 seconds behind. Anything else I can try?
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:51 PM

You might see if there any drivers available for your video card from the manufacturer's website.

George