MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: Do you use a compresser?
Yes I use a compresser 13 52.00%
No I do not use a compresser 10 40.00%
What is a compresser 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Sorry Lon, Zenyx 1204FX behringer mixer
Ok in this case i'd still opt to run it inline with the mics over compressing the entire mix.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Ok in this case i'd still opt to run it inline with the mics over compressing the entire mix.
thx, Lon.

Old January 20th, 2015, 04:02 AM

Re: how many of you use compressers ?

I have a DBX compressor on every microphone and a DBX Driverack PA+ which compresses and limits the overall sound and is a crossover, anti feedback and many more functions including EQ. It is the most important part of my sound other than a great mixer like Allen&Heath make. It makes any speaker system work to it's potential!
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:58 AM

I will only use DBX compressors. They are not all equal. I use a DBX compressor on every microphone. I also use a DBX Driverack speaker management system on the overall system. It is a compressor, limiter, sub-harmonic synthesizer, anti-feedback, crossover, Parametric EQ, a 31 band EQ, and delay all in one rack unit. With the calibration microphone, it can set all crossover, anti-feedback, EQ and crossover settings to optimize your speaker -amp combination. This is the most powerful thing you can put on any KJ system. In 15 years, I have never lost a speaker and have less feedback than all of my competitors. It is a godsend. Compressors keep your sound in the sweet spot of the limits of your system. It takes a little while to tweak it but if you know what you are doing, it gives you the best possible sound. Also, a good mixer like Allen&Heath make, will give you top notch sound. I swear my A&H mixer has never crackled on any channel in 10 years. My Mackie lasted 1 year and it was shot.
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:03 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccolvin View Post
I will only use DBX compressors. They are not all equal. I use a DBX compressor on every microphone. I also use a DBX Driverack speaker management system on the overall system. It is a compressor, limiter, sub-harmonic synthesizer, anti-feedback, crossover, Parametric EQ, a 31 band EQ, and delay all in one rack unit. With the calibration microphone, it can set all crossover, anti-feedback, EQ and crossover settings to optimize your speaker -amp combination. This is the most powerful thing you can put on any KJ system. In 15 years, I have never lost a speaker and have less feedback than all of my competitors.
I call that same system my ears....lol
Seriously I don't use the driverack in my system but do have one on my home system, but it is a good system especially for those systems that lack some of the outboard gear & kj's that don't have the tech knowledge. It will improve their sound quite a bit with a simple setting within 9 out of 10 times.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 10th, 2015, 12:26 AM

Can't you use the compressor built in to your mixing board?

I think I'm going to snag the Behringer XENYX X2222USB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ECH0S/...=IIS5AXON6HX8M

It has "8 studio-grade compressors with super-easy "one-knob" functionality and control LED for professional vocal and instrumental sound"

This ought to work out pretty good... I hope...
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:28 AM
VIP

The built in's are the most basic of compression, the Yamaha mixers are a little better than the Behringers in that respect, but neither are great. They are however better than none at all.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 12th, 2015, 08:19 PM

I agree with Lonman. It is basic compression. However, DBX invented the technology. It is far superior to any other. They also invented the over-easy knee. It is much better for vocals. Behringer mixers are not very high quality. Their speakers and amps are above average. Look at a Allen&Heath ZED series mixer. Worth every penny. If you are a professional, you should invest in yourself to get quality equipment. It will last years and years. An extra hundred or two now will make your life easier down the road.
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:32 PM

OK, so if you had say $300 to $500 to spend on a mixing board... which one would you get?

I have a KJ friend of mine that is using a very old, outdated board so I may give him the Behringer when it gets here since he said he really likes them. He's done things to help me in the past and he's a friend, so I'd have no problem giving this to him.

So, let me know what the best mixing board would be in the $300 to $500 range.
Old March 13th, 2015, 12:38 AM

What about this 12 channel, Soundcraft EPM12?

http://www.amazon.com/Soundcraft-EPM...oundcraft+EPM6
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

If your after one with built in compression then I don't think that model has it.

See how you get on with your Behringer first
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
See how you get on with your Behringer first
Yeah, that's probably the best advice... since all I really know how to do is sing, I'll need to educate myself on all this sound stuff.
Old March 30th, 2015, 06:52 PM

OK, so I ended up going with the Behringer Xenyx 1202FX for my mixing board since this is all new to me and I'm learning sound management. I can always go bigger later once I know more about this.

So, now I need some amplification... does the DriveRack PA+ come with amps?

If not, any suggestions for amps... I like it loud and I can always turn it down.

I got Behringer B212XL speakers which I think are rated at 850 watts, so let me know what you guys think would be a good amp to drive these.
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:18 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, so I ended up going with the Behringer Xenyx 1202FX for my mixing board since this is all new to me and I'm learning sound management. I can always go bigger later once I know more about this.

So, now I need some amplification... does the DriveRack PA+ come with amps?

If not, any suggestions for amps... I like it loud and I can always turn it down.

I got Behringer B212XL speakers which I think are rated at 850 watts, so let me know what you guys think would be a good amp to drive these.
The Driverack is just a speaker processor. Unless you are running subs, it really doesn't give full potential, but you can still have some advantages like the feedback eliminator, built in eq, built in system compression/limiting (no this does not replace the compressor for the vocals) and a couple other things. If has no amp built in.
As far as what kind of amp your speakers need, typically the rule of thumb is match the wattage to the program power (usually middle of continuous and peak). This speaker is 200 watts continuous and 800 watts peak, so the ideal amp should push around 400 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I don't normally recommend Behringer but this one has had some decent reviews from other forums and is a perfect match wattage wise for your speakers.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...wer-amp?pfm=sp

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM

OK, cool. Thanks for the lead.

The reason I went ahead and picked Behringer is because for the most part there are good reviews and I need to start somewhere. Plus, most of their stuff is reasonably priced.

I was reading the comments earlier about the DriveRack PA+ being useful for someone not experienced in managing a sound system, so it sounds like that along with the Behringer iNUKE NU3000 Power Amp would be my next steps.

Then I can get down to learning how to work with these components and experiment with them. I'm hoping to find a temporary place around town where I can go setup and practice running the system, you know... some place where I can crank it up!

For cables... I have everything I need now with the mixing board and speakers to plug it all up and play (although not very loudly)... when I order the DriveRack PA+ along with the Behringer iNUKE NU3000 Power Amp, what additional cable do you think I'll need?

Just trying to figure out logistics...

Last edited by Rockrz; March 30th, 2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old March 30th, 2015, 09:40 PM

OK, so next question... sub woofers...

Are these like separate speakers that provide better low end (Bass)?
If so, I'd be interested in that simple because of the richer sound.

Considering the speakers I have and the DriveRack PA+ along with the Behringer iNUKE NU3000 Power Amp I'm planning on using... any recommendations for sub woofers that would work well with my setup?
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:40 PM

Behringer makes an 18" "pro" sub and regular sub., depending on your amp wattage. I have used both. The regular is all you need unless you are in the 1000 watt/ch. range on your mains. You'll need at least 2000 w/ch. for the pro. Another way to use the DriveRack PA+ is to set up floor monitors. With the calibration mic "sold separately", you can set up each speaker as stereo pairs or individual mono speakers, each with different EQ. In this fashion, you can use even more of the board at once. Normally for monitors, I use the mid pair and use a lower high shelf than the main. The crossover points can be moved to overlap or not. To hook it up you need XLR balanced cables from mixer. For the speakers, one pair per amp balanced XLR. They have a locking tab that keeps them from accidentally being unplugged. When you are using that many wires, it's peace of mind. One last thing. A common error with rookies, pardon my term, is to use 1/4" signal wires for speaker wires. They fit, so some people think you can use them. You can not. You could test with a small wattage of power, but they are not the same impedance or resistance. This could damage your amp. 12 or 14 gauge wire from Home Depot made for lamps etc. is not the right wire either. You can only use speaker wire for speakers unless they are powered speakers.
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:12 AM

OK, I'll digest this and after I get going I'll be thinking of adding sub woofers.

No problem with anyone calling me a rookie... I've done a lot of singing over the years, but only have very limited experience with running a sound system and that was back in my drinking days in the early 90s when I helped a buddy out with his karaoke shows for a couple of years

So, all I really remember is what the board looked like and I remember drunk people coming by telling me what they wanted to sing without submitting a sign up slip. My buddy normally ran the show and I stepped in when he got too drunk, or got smitten with some babe in the club. I'm sure you guys know the deal...

I'm already learning a ton from you guys and your experienced input is very much appreciated!
Old March 31st, 2015, 04:59 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, so next question... sub woofers...

Are these like separate speakers that provide better low end (Bass)?
If so, I'd be interested in that simple because of the richer sound.

Considering the speakers I have and the DriveRack PA+ along with the Behringer iNUKE NU3000 Power Amp I'm planning on using... any recommendations for sub woofers that would work well with my setup?
General rule of thumb for subs is double what your mains put out. So if you go with the 400 watt per channel amp for the mains (recommended), your sub should put out 800 watts. You can usually find a powered sub that generates that kind of wattage. The Driverack will be able to work with both the main amp & powered sub with no issues.

For karaoke using a Driverack on monitors is a waste of $$ IMO. And 1/4" jacks are not 'rookie' connections. For YEARS prior up to today, 1/4" jacks are still used and still used today for those that need them. No damage to the amps can happen by using them - otherwise the amp manus wouldn't use them (I still use them to this day 7 nights a week on a 3000 watts karaoke PA with Nye any issues and our band used them for years without any issues). The BENEFIT by NOT using them (1/4" connections) and using the Speakon outputs (that lock into place) are the chance of them getting kicked out by accident. Also a wire gauge is not measured by it's use. A 12 gauge lamp wire would work as long as the copper inside is truly what it is rated - again you wouldn't hurt anything by using it especially in as low of wattage system as you are looking at, however it is easier just to use a regular speaker cable designed for pro use.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:20 PM

Lonman, I was trying to say not to use 1/4" signal wires for speaker wires. That is a rookie mistake that I have witnessed more than a few times. XLR or balanced or unbalanced signal wires are fine for what they are made for. They are not made to be used as speaker wires UNLESS they are going to a powered speaker. That was my point. Signal wires are not of a high enough gauge to handle the wattage output of ANY amp. Speaker wires should be of 10-16 gauge. 12 and 14 being the norm. Not 24-28 gauge signal wire. As far as Lamp cord wire, there are not nearly enough strands in that type of wire to carry a full spectrum of sound without internal reflection of sound waves. It is also not the correct impedance. Just because it is copper, doesn't make it the same. It has a different metallurgy mix of nickel, silver, copper etc. Take a close look at both and it is easy to tell the difference. I was not clear in my previous post when I said to use XLR for the speakers. I meant to say XLR between the DriveRack and amps. Yes 1/4" is fine for that. However, the DriveRack only uses XLR connections. I simply prefer XLR. I also prefer Speakon connectors between my amps and speakers. Once again, 1/4" is fine as long as they are speaker wires. This happens because at the store, 50' speaker wire is $50.00 and 50' signal wire is $30.00.

Last edited by cccolvin; March 31st, 2015 at 10:48 PM.