MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old March 4th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Am wanting to buy a cdg burner

I am looking at buying a cdg burner what would you recommend? Next question will microstudio allow you to edit track properties such as the initial startup screen (graphics) and if not is there a program that will. I dont mind the credits showing up somewhere just would like to have something a bit classier. also can i skip part of a 18 bar intro to less? One last thing how or where does copy protection come into play. Am just getting started and have lots of questions.
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

We recommend the drives we test and sell. Click here to see our models.

There used to be a program that could chop the front off a CDG file, but I don't think they are around any more. This is a very tricky thing to do, and there are so many different methods used by the Karaoke producers that from brand to brand this program probably failed often, or messed the song up royally!

Copy protection, today means Multisession. Microstudio can overcome this with a little bit of work. Search on "multisession" and you will find many posts in this Forum addressing it. You can't do a straight Duplicate Disc, but you can import the tracks, them add them to the Custom Assembly tab, and write them back out. It works. As to the MediaCloq used by Sound Choice in the past, read this FAQ Answer for what happened.
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:49 PM

I don't particularly care to step on any toe's here as far as where to buy things... but... as far as I am concerned, Plextor is a top quality prooduct regardless of where it is purchased. I own ( 4 ) Plextor 48x24x48a drives, all purchased through retail and they work fine.

Karl
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM

kfortner51,

I hope you're prepared to take the financial responsibility if anyone heeds your advice and gets a burner elsewhere that won't process cdg. They would have every moral right to look to you.

If Plextors did not have a failue rate, then there would be no reason for MTU to take the time to bench test each one, and place themselves in a non-competitive position, would there?

Most of MTU customers are willing to pay the price. It's pretty cheap insurance.

George
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:32 AM

I can't disagree with you at all, every person should make their own decision on what is best for them, as your point reflects, there are many who feel more comfortable with pre-tested equipment and should follow that track for their own piece of mind. I should add, because I am very pro MTU with their products... perspective buyers should keep in mind also that MTU only supports the products they sell as is the way it should be.

For those like myself... who could be perceived as living on the edge of technology, there are alternatives and risks that go with them.

For those that aren't, my recommendation is take the safe route, there is no loss in having piece of mind with your purchase and knowing you have MTU's support behind you.

Karl
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Why MTU sells CDG Certified drives... and CDR media too

Quote:
Originally posted by kfortner51
I don't particularly care to step on any toe's here as far as where to buy things... but... as far as I am concerned, Plextor is a top quality prooduct regardless of where it is purchased. I own ( 4 ) Plextor 48x24x48a drives, all purchased through retail and they work fine.

Karl
Realize that MTU's prices include our support and help for those who need it, as you recognized in you last post. The reason we sell CDG Certified drives is because over the past 10 years, CDG Karaoke lovers pleaded with us to help them... and we have.

Many users are not comfortable buying a retail drive from somewhere that knows absolutely nothing about the CD+G format or its associated quirks. They want to backup-play-make custom discs, not just buy a drive that may or may not solve their problem!

Installing a drive without help can be a daunting task for someone who doesn't "do this". The retail vendor you recommended won't provide help at all... and knows nothing about CDG! We know, we have dealt with them. If you buy a mail order drive and require support, who will you turn to?

Karl, we have sold many CDR manufacturers drives since 1992 (Yamaha was $25,000 back then, and Denon was $16,000). We have paid our dues in testing drives for 12 years! We have often received a batch of 10 drives, tested them with 3 highest quality CDR discs that were then thrown away afterwards, and end up rejecting 4 to 6 of the 10 drives. We know that within a year of shipment, electronic components (including the laser read/write diode) age and may no longer write the CDG RW codes correctly.

Years back when we were selling Yamaha drives, and only tested with 2 CDR discs per drive, we shipped 5 drives one month that went back the next month. We replaced them all at our expense. We then evaluated what failed in them, and increased our testing to use 3 CDR discs per drive. We had to raise our prices a bit for the extra testing... but we didn't have any more failures in the field either!

We have the fewest rejects with Plextor that we have ever experienced, and their manufacturing quality is second to none. That... is why we only sell Plextor. We don't have to do as much testing for CDG Certification as we did with other drives.

We have heard from hundreds of users that claim a copy made with Microstudio and an MTU Certifified CDG drive is BETTER and cleaner than their original. Those who use our MTU CDR Silver Media have even reported the audio sounds clearer on their copies! There is a reason for that too, and that... is why we tested, selected and sell our media. Our CDR media IS the best for CDG use and our customers who trust us, get the best results they possibly can.

I appreciate your visiting our Forums... tech experts are always welcome. If you want to help others in our Forums, please do so! As you post answers, keep in mind the non-technical level MANY of our visitors are at, and give clear instructions (that you probably know off the top of your head) so you help... instead of confuse them. George has become quite expert at this and, as you can see by the number of his posts, has helped many over their problems.

BTW: Next time your conscious makes you feel the need to say "sorry...", hit the delete key instead and save me the time.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Thumbs up Can't go wrong with Plextor

Quote by Rodmit:

Am wanting to buy a cdg burner
I am looking at buying a cdg burner what would you recommend?

As you probably know by now, MTU sells good Plextor drive & they test each one they ship but if you do buy from a retail store which is your own right, I would just suggest you ask the store to write down on the invoice a 10 days exchange if you can't get cdg to work properly!

I bought a burner from MTU & I'm very pleased with it but I also bought many more at a GOOD retail store and I never had one drive that couldn't work properly with cdg's.

To answer your question, PLEXTOR is the only good choice!!

Regards