MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 26th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Jahern, kudos! I didn't even see that!

You know, I have a space monkey in my pocket

Just trying to lighten the mood.
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:08 PM

My Mood and More

My mood is fine (although the idea of a Space Monkey in my pocket does cause some apprehension. I want whatever is mine to be amply protected and out of danger!!!)

Quote from Admin: Also keep in mind, a number of our customers have requested that Microstudio NOT play when they shift to another program. That is what we now offer.

Can't one use Volume control to Mute Microstudio????

(Just a thought that I gleaned when I dreamed that I had been transported by a huge WAVE to a high mountain-while simultaneously WATCHING a good karaoke song. Yes, it's all about watching.)
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Dead air is a disease that kills most karaoke shows....
If you can't see the screen, you will look for it if you want to see the words.

I'd still like to know if it took more or less code to kill the sound when you swapped windows... My vote is More, but I am silly that way.

Oh, yess and Space Monkeys just sing off key
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Question for all of you

We are doing 2.507 RIGHT NOW.

Please give us your feedback QUICKLY!

1. We are adding an option to default the new hi-res window player to display full screen or (disable) as a smaller window. We [i]believe[/b] that the only value of the 8-bit display today (now that the computer power of the hi-res player has been reduced), is that it is full screen. Do you agree? I request that each of you try running the hi-res window in full screen (double click the window to make it go full screen).

2. We are proposing removing the 8-bit player altogether, with the addition of #1 aboe. Tell me why we shouldn't.

3. We will try to unmute the player when Microstudio looses focus (switch to another player).

I am waiting for your answers. Our programmer is MAKING THE CODE CHANGES AS I TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 11th, 2003, 11:57 AM

I see no reason for 8 bit mode especially if the user can elect full screen or small windowed mode as their default.

Have already expressed my view on trying to watch a Karaoke track while doing other tasks, or just listening to nothing more than a Karaoke background track while doing other tasks. Haven't heard a convincing case for it yet that justifies the expense of pleasing the few who want it..

And with that opinion and a dollar bill you can get a soft drink most anywhere

George
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Changes

I think I'll have to agree with George. I have Hoster so don't really need any change in Microstudio except wish it would keep playing while trying to do other things.

Kelly
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Ditto here

I agree with George and Kelly for the same reasons.

Jon
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:42 PM

I am sorry I have been away. I have been in trial and trial prep over the purchase of our bar. We have settled and came to a nice compromise, bigger space with them paying us to move across the street to a better location.

I will say again my reasoning and try to outline WHY Hoster would not be applicable:

1. Often times, CDs do not have the correct information on their case, label or even manufacturers sight. As is evidenced by the the many complaints on this sight and my personal experience with programs like KJ Pro, you cannot depend on what information is listed in these programs about what songs are on CDs. When composing my new music lists in Excel WEEKLY, I often times am required to check a song for accuracy of title.

2. As I guarantee that, "If we don't have it, we'll get it," I am again in a position of finding better versions of a song that meet certian criteria of the customers, either specific lyrics that are omitted on other versions or longer more correct sound. In order to do this, I need to cue up the song and listen to it and sometimes not look at the screen until well into the song. A couple of examples of songs and why I am looking for better versions:
a. "Good Ol' Boys" by Waylon Jennings often referred to as "The Dukes of Hazzard Theme Song" Customers request the original version, not the T.V. version. Have to plug it in an play it to see if it is what the want
b. "Music of The Night" by Andrew Lloyd Webber, many versions exist with different tempos, and DIFFERENT LYRICS... I have ONE version that I sing, but had been requested to find one that sounds more like the London Cast. The Sound Choice Version wasn't it, the Music Maestro Version wasn't it, The Top Tunes version was.... The version I use is one of TWO versions that were released by Pocket Songs.
c. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson, Halloween is coming up, it is the Gay holiday, and 1/2 of my customers are Gay and want to have a great Halloween Party. One of my entertainers wants to perform this song with either a VERY GOOD sounding Vincent Price impersonation on the disk, or me doing that part. I need to be able to listen to it almost til the end then look at the screen for either the lyrics or the voice.

3. Hoster is not viable on account of I create my Database from my Home PC and Hoster is on my Bar PC. It often takes several days before the new 15-20 CDs will be added to Hoster. Also, what if I don't have my USB Ethernet Card here to activate Hoster?

4. Coding. I have thrown out, and maybe someone could respond in the affirmitive or correct me if I am wrong, that I believe that the coding to MUTE Microstudio was more involved than letting it play through. Am I wrong, or isn't Hoster being scripted to work more with the Windows Media Playing environment? Is Microstudio in that same situation?

As for the 8-bit mode, what are we talking about? Are you saying that when the New Microstudio (Which I haven't upgraded to yet) is operating in Full Screen Mode, that it is almost running in a DOS-Like window?

Okay, here is that last reason why audio should play through, the Boss Key.... If any of you remember what that is,

Maybe you have a big competition coming up and you want to practice prior but you don't want to be dependant on the Lyrics. Microstudio is for EVEN the NON-Professionals who Sing Karaoke. It is supposed to be for Karaoke Singers as well... it isn't "MICROSTUDIO PROFESSIONAL" that you are selling here. You are selling a product, or should try to be selling a product, that will play karaoke on PCs....

Here is a thought (LISTEN UP MARKETING) why not sell a USB 2.0 Plextor (or lessor quality, but capable) CD-ROM that will read maybe burn Karaoke with a version of Microstudio Lite that is ONLY a player call it "KaraokePC" sell it for $45-60 and maybe give them a karaoke CD or make a deal with a Karaoke Disc Manufacturer or Website to give the customer some Karaoke Disks to start off... I know that FRY's Would jump at it! Also, nothing exists in the market like that. You could go down to your local software house or PC sales center and buy a product from MTU...

I would consider the last paragraph
Old September 11th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Here's the scoop

1. We are removing the 8-bit player code.

2. We are changing the Display Mode command (View menu) to a toggle command titled "Full screen". When enabled, the high-res player will come up in full screen. We bet most folks don't even know they are in high-res mode. Modern computers don't allow a user to set 8-bit display mode anyway.

3. Muting is NOT programmed in, it is a PROBLEM that Windows is partly causing. I spoke to our programmer about unmutting play when Microstudio looses focus. Turns out I have already paid over $400 for this to be done, and the "simple" things failed. Current estimate is another $400-$800 to try to overcome this muting effect. Sorry guys, it's not going to happen in 2.507.

We should be beta testing tomorrow, releasing Monday if all goes well.
Old September 11th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Unhappy It's sad

I was really hopping that one day this mute effect will go, but at least you tried...

I'm using the 8 bit mode, why? My video set up is 1024x768 so the high resolution is not has clear at full screen. I like the 8 bit mode because of the clear graphic, I believe the graphic data on the cdg is recorded at that low resolution so it explains why it's so clear.

I guess I'll be keeping my 2.4 version for a LONG TIME. I like it anyway!

Regards
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Change of plans.....

Our programmer was on the code all day, and I haven't received a report yet (why I'm on the computer so late). We'll see what has transpired tomorrow.

We just got word late afternoon that we should have drivers for the new Plextor CDG-DVD-R drive tomorrow. We have been waiting all year for this drive to be released - and it is now. Thus, we will take a bit longer and add this new CDG-DVD drive into Microstudio 2.507. Instead of releasing Monday it will be later in the week... I hope.

Quote:
Originally posted by admin
We should be beta testing tomorrow, releasing Monday if all goes well.
Old September 12th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Scattered Response

Admin: Appreciate the difficulty of getting something to work. Appreciate your efforts. It was easy for some of us to get the impression that the Mute function was programmed in on purpose. Thanks for setting us straight.

To those who say they don't want to monitor cdg while doing other tasks: It is not a matter, obviously, of you saying that you don't want it and the rest are convinced that we don't want it too.

For instance, I was going to wait until a new version of Microstudio offered something new to me before buying the upgrade. I wasn't going to buy until I saw:

Quote from site:

It now uses less than 5% of the computer power, where before it consumed 100% while playing. Now you can play Karaoke CDG songs and discs even with other programs running!

I'm sure that Microstudio will continue to upgrade and I won't much regret my decision. Still, I did spend one of my 8 lives for no good reason.

Good Luck All
Old September 12th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Cannot read lyrics

Since I have downloaded 2.506 I cannot read lyrics In window mode or full screen. While I am pulling the window from It's small size to full window size I can read the lyrics but when I stop enlarging It It again becoms unreadable. Would appericiate any help or advise.
Old September 12th, 2003, 04:59 PM

thomasmorgan,

I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but felt you should know you needn't drag it to large screen.

All you need do is double click on the windowed mode to go to full screen, and also to minimize again.

Will stew on the problem for a bit. Maybe someone else has it on the tip of their fingers. What does it look like?

We may need your system info also.

Take care,

George
Old September 12th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Thanks George for the Info. I did know that you could double click to enlarge the window but I had learned that by dragging It It would clear up as you drug It.But would not stay clear when you stopped.
You ask what It looked like. The lyrics try to color In but only partially color In and are unreadable. Thank you for trying to help
Tom