MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM

I carried out conversion simply for my own convenience as it really has not made that much difference for the singers who sing with me. They still get to sing more times during the night than at the average show, and that is apparently what keeps them coming back week after week!

k
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM

Hosting With Out Hoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Main reason for most that I hear that have made the switch (to computer in general) is the convenience factor which I agree with.
Not even worth discussing
muzicman144
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Ok not exactly those words, but was insinuating.

Hoster will alow you to remain a top karaoke show in your area.
Not on purpose, sorry.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Now WHO could be mad at THAT face????

k
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Honor Roll

Wink

So which came first, the chicken or the egg??/
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Well if its a question of religion or politics. We may need to look into this...maybe setup a committee. No just kidding....

Well let me put my 10 cents...I have been using Hoster for three years, prior to Hoster I used a competitor software, and found it wanting, before that I handled 500 disks and two karaoke players a JVC three tray and A DVD kararoke disk that played the competitors disks and CDG's. Slows down a show. I would handle about 15 singers in an hour, I just cut down the mickey mouse to a minimum and be ready to move on to the next singer. With Hoster, not only can I turn out 8-10 singers more an hour, I carry around a lot less equipment and no disks in the process.

Hoster is quality and efficiency at the right price, and I dare say blows away the competition by leaps and bounds. I can carry my whole CD library on a WD external drive, plug it into my laptop, connect my laptop to my mixer and TV and away I go!
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
Well let me put my 10 cents...I have been using Hoster for three years, prior to Hoster I used a competitor software, and found it wanting, before that I handled 500 disks and two karaoke players a JVC three tray and A DVD kararoke disk that played the competitors disks and CDG's. Slows down a show.
Hoster is quality and efficiency at the right price, and I dare say blows away the competition by leaps and bounds. I can carry my whole CD library on a WD external drive, plug it into my laptop, connect my laptop to my mixer and TV and away I go!
The question is? Would you go back to that kind of night if everything digital you own failed, or would you take the night off and let someone else have it perhaps, or would you lug all your stuff for that night? 14 have answered that they wouldn't bother and oerhaps find a sub that night. What would you do?

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
I would handle about 15 singers in an hour, I just cut down the mickey mouse to a minimum and be ready to move on to the next singer. With Hoster, not only can I turn out 8-10 singers more an hour
Not to get off track, just curious, how? Do you limit songs timewise? Most songs avg about 4 minutes & with absolutely no down time in between would yield 15 singers maximum per hour @ 4 minutes per song?

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
VIP

Quote:
Not to get off track, just curious, how? Do you limit songs timewise? Most songs avg about 4 minutes & with absolutely no down time in between would yield 15 singers maximum per hour @ 4 minutes per song?
I was thinking the same thing Lon.

Old July 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Host without Hoster

Kinda like the 60 man rotation. In a five hour show, Using Lonman's math, the first 15 may sing twice, the rest only once. Not many karaoke faithful will sit four hours knowing they will not sing again that night.
muzicman
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Kinda like the 60 man rotation. In a five hour show, Using Lonman's math, the first 15 may sing twice, the rest only once. Not many karaoke faithful will sit four hours knowing they will not sing again that night.
muzicman
Yes, we see, but during any given hour, when the average song cannot be much less than 4 minutes each, and unless they are all standing in line with their own microphone ready to start the second the last singer stops, a maximum of 15 - 18 singers would still only be possible.

We still are questioning how capnvic defies our logic.

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
muzicman
I don't want to generalize too much, BUT, In my experience, the die hard karaoke followers (you know who I'm talking about) seem to be the highest maintenance for the smallest return for the bar. You know, the wanna be professional singers who go to karaoke 7 nights a week, don't have a dime to their name, and truly believe that people come out just to hear them sing. Like birds of a feather, they travel in flocks and complain more than average about the mix, song selection, rotation, etc...Then complain at the bar about the price of a coke/water. Talk a good game about how they "support" the place by coming in so often. Then give people who aren't in their clique the cold shoulder like they are freshman in high school.

edit: Sorry, I was on a rant there. What was the question again?
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I don't want to generalize too much, BUT, In my experience, the die hard karaoke followers (you know who I'm talking about) seem to be the highest maintenance for the smallest return for the bar. You know, the wanna be professional singers who go to karaoke 7 nights a week, don't have a dime to their name, and truly believe that people come out just to hear them sing. Like birds of a feather, they travel in flocks and complain more than average about the mix, song selection, rotation, etc...Then complain at the bar about the price of a coke/water. Talk a good game about how they "support" the place by coming in so often. Then give people who aren't in their clique the cold shoulder like they are freshman in high school.
Markle,
You are right on the money.
Bryant

Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

edit: Sorry, I was on a rant there. What was the question again?
Does Liz sing with you too?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Does Liz sing with you too?

Jim
WOW! LMAO!! Actually, one of the group I was referring to is actually named Liz Does she hang out with Mike? Not actually her husband, but some dude that is just her "friend".
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
WOW! LMAO!! Actually, one of the group I was referring to is actually named Liz Does she hang out with Mike? Not actually her husband, but some dude that is just her "friend".
Is Mike he her manager? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

Jim

Old August 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Or they are running illegally and don't have the disks to fall back on.
It is a fact that they are suing stolen stuff, in my area almost all the guys here have puters at their shows, and no discs, but they all have gotten togather and shred there had drives and are running illegally, but sometimes I think Im the crazy guy, Ive spent almost 50k in the past few years for music and none of them have spent a dime and they never get caught, so who is making the most money. I work 3 to 4 shows per week it takes one show just to buy the music I need, they put theirs in there pockey and by beer for pretty girls they know something I dont, hard to compete with no over head huh?
kowboys karaoke........Dan
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM

I used to have a show on a Saturday night where I would have 30 singers already signed up when systems are go. As the night would go on, the rotation may end up at 45 or 50 singers. Using disks and a disk changer, one singer would be lucky if they sang more than twice in an evening.

With Hoster, I was able to improve the wait time, which would mean someone would be able to sing three or maybe if time permitted, four times in a night.
My shows would run from 9pm to 2am back then.
Now I have smaller venues, therefore, my rotations are much smaller. maybe 12 to 15 singers in the rotation. My crowds are older, so some of their song selections are less than 4 minutes. Remember prior to the late 60's, songs longer than three minutes were more the exception rather than rule. I did not mean to imply that this was always the case in my rotations. Not everyone sings American Pie or Stairway to Heaven either.

Just a little info.

Vic
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM

I voted no. But that is sorta unrealistic. With my backup laptop it hopefully keeps that out of the picture. I started back when Hoster 2.0 came out. My first laptop was actually from MTU. And if I remember at the time my laptop was the first one they ever sold where some requested dual drives in it. After a few years I put it to pasture and got another on. But then shortly afterward bought a second laptop for back up.

Proud to say in many years I've never had to use my backup. Only once a few weeks back with 4.02. But as normal, I smooooth sailing again.

Being older and not having to do this for a living I would probably opt to cancel the show. Been at the same place now for almost 7 years. Like Mad Jim said, most of my 1,000 discs have only been played one time. Don't take away my Hoster.

Kelly
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Talking

Some host have stated that they would just use a backup laptop to run the show, I do not have a backup laptop at this point in time to use one. I would revert back to CDs until I could get HOSTER running again. Already had to do that when my new Dell took a digger after only 3 months (video went out) as I was setting up to do show.(Took Dell 2 months to fix this problem) All new CD's that were added to my collection were not indexed in any way, was not easy (or impossible) to find some songs that were added after HOSTER. Show went on, People were very understanding. Also CDG player is always set up in my rack and is ready to run at any time. The show went on. People don't come to karaoke to watch HOSTER run, they come to sing. And that they did. I would not run with any other software besides HOSTER, I have tried others, don't like them.
Motherboard with 6 channel Audio
2GB RAM
250GB AV hard drive
256MB Video Card with S-video and dual display
DVD-ROM Drive
430watt power supply
Rack mountable case