MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
VIP

Venue Monitors

I normally refrain from using monitors in venues but I just booked a new gig where they have three monitors that they insist be put in use for the karaoke shows. I recently purchased a new Toshiba laptop and like all the other models I looked at it has a HDMI output and a VGA output since it didn't have a HDMI input. I was using the VGA output to feed my singers monitor without a problem but it seems I can't use both VGA and HDMI outputs at the same time. Because of this new gig I will soon be starting I purchased a HD Video Processing device for $69.95. It converts HDMI to composite or s-video. I ran a HDMI cable from the computer to this device. From the device output I hooked up the composite output to my karaoke mixer. This mixer has two video ouputs. I run one composite output to the singers display and the other I run to a RF converter and then run from that, co-ax to feed the clubs monitors. The co-ax is what they have setup to feed the monitors. I haven't tried this setup at the club as of yet but I set up a second monitor at my home to see if this would work. I feed the second monitor with the co-ax from the RF converter and everything works ok except when I play some of the Country Karaoke songs. When I play these songs, my main singers monitor goes blank and the monitor hooked up with the co-ax starts cutting in and out and you can't really read the lyrics very well. Sorry this is so long winded. My question is, why would this happed to just this brand and it doesn't happen to all of Country Karoke songs, just some of them? Is there a better way to approach using the clubs monitors? I couldn't find a device that would convert HDMI to composite, s-video and RF. Maybe there is such a device but i couldn't locate one. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Walt
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Venue Monitors

I have herd before that HDMI converters to component are not very good when extending to more than one monitor, it may be that HDMI is a digital signal being converted to analog whereas VGA to the best of my knowledge is already an analog signal so perhaps retains a stronger signal.
Have you tried the VGA to component converters that are much cheaper than the HDMI converters ?
This is the sort I use: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It does have a VGA pass through, it may be that you could use that for your singes monitor and the rca out to your RF convertor, I'm not sure on that point but I could try it out for you if you like.

Other than that perhaps if you connect the composite out from your new device to a Splitter amplifier like this it may boost the signal rather than using your mixers video out.
like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vi.../dp/B003CMDGJK

I don't know if either of these would solve your problem, I have never tried an RF converter in my setup, just making some suggestions

As to why it only happens on certain songs and not others I can only think perhaps there are more colours in some than others demanding a stronger signal.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I have herd before that HDMI converters to component are not very good when extending to more than one monitor, it may be that HDMI is a digital signal being converted to analog whereas VGA to the best of my knowledge is already an analog signal so perhaps retains a stronger signal.
Have you tried the VGA to component converters that are much cheaper than the HDMI converters ?
This is the sort I use: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It does have a VGA pass through, it may be that you could use that for your singes monitor and the rca out to your RF convertor, I'm not sure on that point but I could try it out for you if you like.

Other than that perhaps if you connect the composite out from your new device to a Splitter amplifier like this it may boost the signal rather than using your mixers video out.
like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vi.../dp/B003CMDGJK

I don't know if either of these would solve your problem, I have never tried an RF converter in my setup, just making some suggestions

As to why it only happens on certain songs and not others I can only think perhaps there are more colours in some than others demanding a stronger signal.
Roy, thanks much. I'll check those links. I'll report back and let you know how I made out.

Walt
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
Roy, thanks much. I'll check those links. I'll report back and let you know how I made out.

Walt

The first item with the vga pass through sounds like the ticket. I just placed an order for one. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,

Walt
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:32 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
The first item with the vga pass through sounds like the ticket. I just placed an order for one. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,

Walt
Roy,

I am happy to report that this device works very well. It didn't come with a power supply but it came with a usb cord to pulg into the power supply port (5Volt). For $22.00 it would be hard to beat.
(VGA pass throuh with a s-video or composite feed)

Thanks for the direction,

Walt
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Pleased to hear your sorted now so I'll close this thread
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Closed Thread