MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: How many people does it take to run your Karaoke show?
One Person (By Myself) 53 86.89%
Two People 7 11.48%
Three People 0 0%
Four Or More People 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM

It only takes 1, but it is fun to work with another host sometimes too.
When I first started out, I had a partner, and we would work togehter.
Some people at our first ever venue thought we should go on the road as a comedy act, but my partner was too "tied down".
Sometimes I miss those days.....
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnights1 View Post
It only takes 1, but it is fun to work with another host sometimes too.
When I first started out, I had a partner, and we would work togehter.
Some people at our first ever venue thought we should go on the road as a comedy act, but my partner was too "tied down".
Sometimes I miss those days.....
I worked with someone for less than a year. We had different points of view, and that can be very dangerous in a venture where you have to communicate with the crowd. So I decided to go solo, and I'm doing fine. Sometimes I will get someone to help me setup my equipment and cables.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Yeah, it does have to be the right person.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnights1 View Post
Yeah, it does have to be the right person.
I have another competitor who is in the same situation. While he likes doing shows twice to three times a month. He dislikes his partners lack of understanding when it comes to the business. His partner has a lot of copied disks and he wants to replace all copies with originals. His partner's apparent lack of vision is possibly putting their show in jeopardy. I told him, remove his own personal (legal disks). And see how long he would survive. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind....This was one of the problems I had with my partner.

We are good friends, but sometimes friends can be insensitive, when it comes to the business....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I can easily run it by myself but my wife usually comes with me. She takes care of getting the books out; checking the books to make sure pens and slips are in the front. She answers most of the "stupid" questions. What's also nice is she sits at the closets table to the stage with most of our regulars and takes care of my refreshments if needed.

AND, keeps an eye on me if a female singer tries to get outta hand.

Kelly
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

I run my show on my own. My wife usually comes along not to work, just looks on making sure I don't chat up any of the woman. I might be lucky and she will go to the bar and get me a drink.

Roy
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
I run my show on my own. My wife usually comes along not to work, just looks on making sure I don't chat up any of the woman. I might be lucky and she will go to the bar and get me a drink.

Roy
Sounds like you're on a short leash

I'm a one man show.
I wish I could here a helper but there's no money in the budget for that.
I've had a few people offer to run an occasional show for free but I suspect alterior motitves

I tried to get my wife interested in helping but she hates being the center of attention. She comes out to support me once in awhile but only sings with a friend or a group

Sam
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, she actually hates karaoke but has to put up with it. It might be my singing that she really hates.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
Sounds like you're on a short leash

I'm a one man show.
I wish I could here a helper but there's no money in the budget for that.
I've had a few people offer to run an occasional show for free but I suspect alterior motitves
I had a paid helper once ( About 8 or 9 yrs ago ), so I could take vacations, & sick leave, without hanging the venue out to dry, and them having to find some other KJ/Dj or Band to fill in... He dropped my new $500 Shure microphone, twirling or flipping it, and Our relationship went back to Host & Client real soon after that... Nobody doing free shows, will take care of your expensive equipment, and even if it's on a paid basis, the care they take in setting up and tearing down will be negligible. Now I communicate with the Management, and make them aware of vacation plans well in advance, and have suffered through the normal cold & flu season without missing a show because of sickness, or the nagging injury, mainly because if I don't play, I don't get paid!
I tried to get my wife interested in helping but she hates being the center of attention. She comes out to support me once in awhile but only sings with a friend or a group
I too, try and get my girlfriend more interested, but she also prefers to stay in the background, and let me be the "Karaoke Guy" out front with the crowd. That's whats funny about our relationship, she is generally the inquisitive, talkative, outgoing one... and normally I'm the quiet one... I put on the "karaoke mask/face" and it's like Jekyll to her Hyde, or a complete roll reversal...
Sam
She's my best Roadie, Guinea Pig, Bartendress, Manager, and Translater ( She's Mexican/American, and my Spanish is very poor ) so I'm very appreciative when she wants to accompany me to my gigs, which is most of the time on weekends, and maybe an early appearance on weekdays, when she's not overtired from her day job! ( Currently she is the City Clerk for our little town, hoping to retire in the next year or so. ) So I may say I'm a one-man show, but most of the regulars know how much my helper in the background does, and her support allows me to do what I love to do when I put on the Karaoke Mask!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Honor Roll

4 or more....me to run the show...and all of my singers, for without them, there would be no show.

Just saying...

Flip
  • Intel Core i7 920
  • 12Gb DDR3
  • nVidia GTX280M
  • 17" 1920x1200 screen + 24" 1920x1200 screen for lyrics
  • 512Gb SDD + Dual 500Gb HDD
Rackmount:
  • Win 7 Ult (64bit)
  • Intel Core i3-2105 3.1GHz Dual Core
  • 16Gb DDR3
  • Intel HD3000 Graphics
  • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1200 screen + 4 in-house flatscreens for lyrics
  • 500Gb Hybrid+SDD and 500Gb HDD
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipeoke View Post
4 or more....me to run the show...and all of my singers, for without them, there would be no show.

Just saying...

Flip
How much do you pay your singers Flip?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
VIP

Originally Posted by Flipeoke

Just saying...

"I hope the singers don't "RUN" the show, however.
Some try to, don't they.