MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Replacement PC Laptop

I need to replace my laptop that I use for Karaoke with family and friends, I\\\'m not a pro.

I have a Acer Aspire 531-4665 15.6\\\" 4GB Ram 500 GB HDD
with the Windows 7 installed. I also have the latest Hoster and I have Microstudio installed. I only use about half of the 500 GB hard Drive of the

I was singing songs to my wife and the laptop froze and I could not do anything with it.

I took it to The Geek Squad and I just received a call that the hard drive was broken and was not abled to be saved. They suggested that since support for Win 7 was going away, it would be better for me to buy a Win 10 Laptop to replace the old one.

So, any suggestions for what laptop that supports Hoster should I get. While I did buy an external HD from MTU years ago, I still think I would like to have a new laptop with the internal drive like my broken Laptop has.

I still have my smaller backup Acer Aspire V5-131 and thanks to Roy I have a backup which includes the songs I have installed.

Thanks for any suggestions, and thanks again to Roy for providing great support and advice.

Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old September 27th, 2019, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Replacement PC Laptop

Hi Wes, thanks for the acknowledgment and glad to hear you took my advise and kept a backup.

Don’t really like giving opinions on computer choices, I have a good understanding of running Hoster but don’t consider myself a computer expert.
Plus it depends how deep your pockets are
MTU recommendations are based on amount of songs in database, more songs higher specs.

MTU Recommends using Intel I7 (BEST - Any Amount of Songs), I5 (BETTER - Up to 200k Songs) or I3 (OK - Up to 20k Songs) processor for your Professional Audio setup! Any other processors can cause Audio glitch or distort when running your show.

So first question how many songs in your database ?

I have an I5 and I7 computer never tried an I3 myself.

Any of the latest Intell HD graphics cards work fine no need for dedicated video cards now unless you play a lot of games as well. Plus less driver updates to worry about

If loading songs on computer hard drive make sure it is big enough to leave you at least 25% free space.

Ram minimum 2G pref 4G.

My own computer specs are in my signature but the i7 might be more than you really need for your purposes.
I have had no real complaints from my Acer computers.

A few things to note, All newer laptops use HDMI for video out so if you had Svid before you will have to consider setup changes for external monitor.
And generally audio & mic jacks are a single jack. Depending how you use these jacks might need some other adapters.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old September 27th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Roy,

Thanks for the quick response. I only have about 3K songs and don\'t intend to add anymore.

I had thought about looking at all the computers the folks on this forum use, but most are pros that need more than I could ever use.

So, your input will be of a big help as it relates to using Hoster on a laptop.

Thanks again,

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old October 20th, 2019, 05:42 PM

Rather than buy a new computer, I had the Geek Squad install a SSD in place of the hard drive disk. It only cost me for the 500GB SSD, but since I had Win 7 and it\\\'s not going to be supported in a few months, they installed Win 10.

I down loaded a DEMO Hoster to try to figure it all out and I think I have it figured out. Thanks to great advice from ROY to backup my program and save copies of my songs, I can now install my saved Hoster information without a great deal of work and trouble.

The only problem I have is setting up my two displays so my computer display has the Hoster program with the playlists and the other display has the lyrics for the singer.

With Win 7 all I had to do has extend the singer display and drag the little screen to it. I can set up the Win 10 so I get both displays at the same time, but not two separate displays.

So, what do I have to do in Wind 10?

Old October 20th, 2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Easiest way to do it is press the “Windows key+p” this should pop up a selection on the right hand side of screen then select Extend.
You must have the second monitor connected for either of these ways to work !!
Alternately right click blank area of screen and select “Display settings” This should bring up a dialog showing Screen1 And Screen 2, highlight screen 2, scroll down page till you see Multiple screens, just below that is a box with a drop down arrow in your case it is probably showing “Duplicate these displays” Cick the drop down arrow and select “Extend”
Following that you will probably get another dialog asking if you want to keep changes, select yes else it will revert back.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old October 20th, 2019, 08:55 PM

Roy,

Once again you were very helpful and I now have an extended drive for lyrics.

The only thing left for me is to learn more about Win 10 and how to install my Hoster and MicroStudio into my same laptop that had a non working HD and now has a new SSD drive.

I know I have to let someone at MTU know I don\'t have the programs in my computer anymore, and then access the web site to download the two programs into the same computer.

Old October 21st, 2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

You can download a copy of your Hoster version from here:
http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/hoster.htm

Microstudio from here:
http://www.mtu.com/upgrades/microstudio.htm

You can try installing them see if they run but as you did not uninstall from previous computer they most likely won’t let you.

In which case you will have to submit a support ticket from here:
http://help.mtu.com/support/tickets/new

Ask for registration reset and reason why.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; October 21st, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old October 24th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Latest Up Date,

I got approval to download my MTU programs into my old laptop with the new SSD.

I also loaded from my backup USB , all my song folders onto the folder MTU on the new drive and it looks like I\'m in almost there. good shape.

But before I finish the process, I need some guidance so that I don\'t mess it up.

Now comes the loading of the information onto the Hoster file into the folder Local Disk, Program Files, Micro Technology Unlimited, Hoster .

The folder already has the folders, and64, Intel, and Manual, as well as two Applications, Hoster, Hoster and Back Up. Also in the folder is Hosteruv.ocx, Hoster.ocv, mtu.ocx and mtus.

I did make a backup using the Hoster Back Up Program program, but I also copied all the information in my Hoster file onto a USB which includes the Hoster Back Up.

If I open the Tools, Hoster Data Folder from the actual Hoster Program, there are a bunch of files, and I am confused about how to use my backup information.

Do I load all my USB information into the Computer file Micro Technology Unlimited, Hoster or do I just load the Hoster Back Up Program file of the latest back up?

Thanks for any help, and hope I haven\'t confused you with this request for guidance.

Wes

We

Old October 24th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

From Hoster Help menu choose Backup/Restore same as when you made the backup.

You will get a message Hoster must close, press OK then a dialog will open showing two options Backup or Restore. there is a tick box advising you about 32bit/64 bit as your using the same computer tick that box first then restore.
This will open explorer to navigate to your backup. The name of the backup will be whatever you named it when you saved it but it will be a .zip file.
After selecting it press restore.
That’s it you don’t need to copy anything else providing your music folder follows the same path as it did on your previous install.

Last edited by Roy Dennis; October 24th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Roy,

Thanks, you have been a big help in getting my Hoster back up and running in my new SSD.

Part of my problem was in the difference between Win 7 and Win 10 and how to access information.

For the benefit of all, without the GREAT ADVICE you gave me in the past to use the backup program, I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks again,

Old January 27th, 2020, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

This thread now closed.
Closed Thread