MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM

2.517 Upgrade on 2 Computers

I have a desktop and laptop computers that I use for different applications. The desktop I use to backup/copy my purchased CD+G discs at home with a Plextor 52x24x52A USB drive. The laptop is used as a mobile computer at my Karaoke shows. There are times when a singer will have their own discs which may have a better version of a song that I have and I would like to copy that track on the spot. I have purchased the 2.517 upgrade for my new Plextor drive and installed it on my home desktop. I would also like to install the upgrade on my laptop so I can use the USB Plextor drive with the laptop. Am I only authorized to install the upgrade on one computer. I have tried to install it on my laptop, which is not setup for Internet access. It instructed me to copy a 3 1/2" floppy and access the internet on any computer that had Internet access. I have done this and when I click on the Runme.exe icon on the disc, it tells me that my computer cannot access the Internet. Is this due to me trying to install the upgrade on 2 computers or is it because I am using Charter Broadband instead of Dial Up. Both computers have Windows XP as operating systems. Please help.
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Sorry, got into wrong thread again and didn't notice it until too late to change it.

30 minute time limit on editing is for the birds.

George
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:29 PM

2.517 Upgrade on 2 computers

George,
Thanks for the reply. I assume you were responding to another query as I do not have Hoster, only trying to install Microstudio Upgrade on my laptop after having installed it on my desktop. The desktop install works perfectly and I would recommend it to anyone, but I can't get the install to complete on my laptop. My laptop is not set up to have internet access, so the Microstudio install program asked me to copy a Runme.exe file to a floppy and put it in a computer that did have internet access, which is my desktop. Once I click on the Runme.exe icon on the floppy, I get the message that my desktop computer is not able to access the internet. I know this not to be true as I can access the net anytime I try. Could it be because I already have Microstudio installed on my desktop, or do I have to buy the upgrade for each computer?
Thanks for the come back.
John
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:49 PM

John,

I believe floppy install should work the same on both Hoster and Microstudio.

Why don't you go ahead and click on the link in the post above for the hoster Manual and follow the same procedure for a floppy install, only using Microstudio instead of Hoster .

Seems like it should work.

Briefly, you create the floppy on the pc that is not on line, then register it with the pc that is on line, then install it on the pc that is not on line. The directions in the link above walk through the procedure.

Take care,

George
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Sorry George...

I deleted your prior posts as I thought you wanted me to.

Click here to read the instructions I am working on for installing using a Floppy Disc.

John, you should be able to install Microstudio by Floppy Disc. Be sure you have version 2.517 (which you can get now by clicking your download link if you bought any 2.5xx version).

When you are installing on your Laptop, you will eventually see a screen where you are given the option to:
1. Connect to the Internet or
2. Make a floppy disc to complete the registration on another computer, then return with the floppy to complete the installation on your Laptop

When you select #2, it will create the floppy disc files; one is a runme.exe and the other is the registration data we require.

Here is one thing to watch out for. When you are at the last Installaton screen while making the floppy disc, wait 10 seconds before clicking the final Finish button in this screen. We just discovered in Hoster beta testing that if you click Finish too fast, all the data has not been written and the Floppy Registration will fail. We will add our new fix into Microstudio 2.518, but that won't help you today.

See if this helps.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:35 AM

No problem, ADMIN. I guess I'm getting Hoster on the brain

You can take out that other one where I didn't say anything either.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; March 13th, 2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old March 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Question Copying Customers Tracks ??

The initial post says he wants to install Microstudio to copy customers songs that they bring to a show. Since this is a blatant violation of copyright laws, I wouldn't suggest it & definately wouldn't post in a forum that I planned to do it...Wayne
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:23 AM

2.517 Upgrade on 2 computers

Thanks for all your responses. I found that I won't be able to do what I wanted after all. It seems that my laptop doesn't have a USB2 port on it, USB1 only, so I don't gain anything by installing the Plextor 52x24x52U drive on it. It's too slow. Thanks anyway.
John

p.s. Sure didn't intend to bring out the copyright cops on this. Really didn't think anything was wrong as long as I deleated the song I was replacing. Paid for 1 song, ended up with 1 song. OH WELL.....
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Comments

John, we are all a bit gun shy about copyright violations here, so forgive us if you felt jumped on. Technically, replacing one song you bought with another song you didn't buy, "could" get you in trouble if someone wanted to prove you were doing this. You should never had a song on your hard drive (for more than one night at least) that you did not pay for. Microstudio does allow playing from the Singer's disc, so be happy with your song, play theirs for them, and go out and buy an original of their disc and import it legally. Then, you've got the old and the new songs.

As to your not being able to install with the Floppy disc, the only thing I can think of is we use HTTPS (secured) to communicate with the web site to protect your privacy. Some Internet Service Providers have problems with an HTTPS transmission. You may need to enable it to work in your Browser or with your ISP. Call them. If you have AOL... this has been reported as a problem.

If you want to upgrade your Laptop to a USB 2.0 port, be careful! Some USB PCIMCIA cards are terrible and cause no end to grief. If you want to go this route, post here and we'll try to find the offending cards for you to stay clear of.
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:41 PM

Exclamation Can't agree more

Quote by Admin:
If you want to upgrade your Laptop to a USB 2.0 port, be careful! Some USB PCIMCIA cards are terrible and cause no end to grief. If you want to go this route, post here and we'll try to find the offending cards for you to stay clear of.

I bought a Syba (syba .com) USB 2.0 CardBus that work for a week! Now it's good for garbage!!

So this card you should stay away.

Regards