MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 6th, 2002, 07:12 AM

Question To Bring or not to Bring...(your own cdg)

Hi steve,
I don't seem to have any problem with my regulars in dealing with my rotation, however the newcomers or visitors from out of town don't get it, and sometimes get frustrated if not pissed off. Unfortunately for them, I don't back down. I look at it this way...I have a bar already full of people, if they don't like the way I run my show, I certainly don't need the grief of argueing with them, so I compile a list of ALL 50+ of the karaoke shows in the area and I give it to them and tell them which ones I think they would prefer.

I am not afraid of compitition. I have been in Tulsa for 8 years now and never lost 1 show to someone stabbing me in the back. Not that they haven't tried, they try to undercut me like any of them do...and it's easy to undercut me too, I get $250 on 3 nights a week and $200 on the other 7 nights, but they still get laughed out of the Bar. The people I work for know that my Company is a sure thing and I am extremely dependable.

As far as people bringing their own cdg's, yes it happens but not that much. I have 7,000 songs(NOT counting Dup's)in my BIG system and 4,000 in my Second system. I have most of the songs people want and they are not the cheap CDG's either. I also buy Top Hits Rock, Country, and Pop every month to keep up with the Top 10.

So when people actually do bring their own, it is usually because the like their version of the song, and that is fine with me...Because if they want me to use their CDG then it is less wear and tear on Mine, especially since It seems like I'm the only one NOT backing up My CDG's.

I have a page in my song books that I take out every month.
I make my own Books. they are on an Ibico Comb Binding system, it makes it easy to take out pages and put in updates.
It is a page where People can write down the songs that they want me to buy. I do my best to get them to make them happy...it keeps people coming back when they know you care about what they want!!

I buy New Music every month...2 Country, 2 Pop, 2 Rock and
2 70's-80's and I'll throw in an Oldies, Elvis or the Beatles now and again. Usually work out to be about 100 New songs a month.

It's a write off, what the Hell Make them Happy!

Rickyokie