MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th, 2002, 11:56 PM

Karaoke Singers-imitators Vs Innovators

Haven't seen much discussion regarding a phenomenon that seems dominant on the Karaoke scene; that being the intense desire a great number of singers appear to have to clone themselves in someone elses style. Obviously the basic lure that attracts all us singers to Karaoke is the ability to sing to a well arranged piece of music as conveniently as can be done with Karaoke.

Also obvious is the fact that the singer is locked in to the musical arrangment.Considering this restriction, I find it extremely challanging to take a song by Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline and yes even Blondie and put my own stamp on it. Yes, Patsy Cline or Blondie. Where is it written that a male cannot do a great job with Crazy, or Heart Of Glass? Most of Patsy Clines material was originally done by male country singers. Her arrangements are smoooother.

I am passionate about singing as are most of the members of a private Karaoke club I belong to. None of them try to ***** any of the original artist, but have a blast fitting themselves and their individual interpretations into a song.

The greatest compliment a listener could pay me would be to say
"Gee, George, although you sounded great on"Can't Help Falling In Love", and your timing, breath control, and overall presentation was good, but not even close to Elvis." I'd be very pleased.

Like to hear what you guys and gals in the trenches think in this area, and what you've observed regarding audience reaction to the two different approaches. Audience reaction might be biased though if they are comprised mainly with those who don't appreciate creative originality.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; June 1st, 2003 at 10:43 PM.