MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Question playing customer disks

When I go out to sing, I bring my own disks so I know I can sing the songs I like and not be limited to what the KJ has. I use copies so that I can consolidate the songs on just a few disks instead of having to bring a whole bunch of CDs that I might only do one song off of (however, I definitely DO own all the originals - I just prefer not to carry them around). Just this weekend I was told by a KJ that he wouldn't play my disks because they were copies, and that he'd gotten fined $1000 2 weeks previously for playing someone's "copied" disk. This just didn't make sense to me - I would figure if it's my disk, I would be the one responsible for insuring that I had the originals, not him. However, since I am also a KJ, I am definitely concerned since people bring their own "copied" disks in all the time. I always figured if it wasn't part of my library and they were using it for their own personal use, there wouldn't be any issues (or if there was, the issue would be with them, not me). Has anyone experienced anything like this, and do you know if this is really something a KJ can be fined for? I make sure that I have only legal copies, but I've never worried about playing someone else's disk for them - now I'm a bit concerned. Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM

Fined?

I've heard similar stories in different forums about such fines and stuff by none I've seen yet is credible in my opinion. I have a hunch that you've come up agains one of the KJs who just think your stupid for brining in your own disc. They seem to get insulted - as if you are implying that they don't have enough music so you have to bring your own -- or -- they think your just too lazy to look them up and would rather the KJ have interrupt his normal process for your disc -- or -- they are worried about ruining your disc/their equipment, etc. I've heard them all. I am exactly like you. I think it makes all the sense in the world to bring my own disc because I can pick my songs in an instant instead of fumbling through thick, often disorganized and faulty books. I also know it's in the right key and the right version (as you know different manufactures have different quality and some songs aren't even close!). I take a bunch of friends out with me and we like to eat wings and stuff, the last thing I need is a 20 pound huge paperweight sitting in front of me all night! I pick my songs and have them up in no time, then I do what I came there for: eat drink and be merry!

If someone has been fined please let me know! Now I'm not doubting that someone with 30,000 burnt tracks might have gotten caught, or someone selling hundreds of burnt discs might have been caught...but I'm talking about the average KJ with all or nearly all original discs out at a show and getting fined. I want all the details...who fined you? who called them? did you own the original? what was their organization, their title and their name? their phone number? Who did you make the fine check out to?.......ahem....didn't think so!

Bootlegging and hardcore piracy for profit is one thing, but backing up your cd's and making working copies for your own use, would surely not get you fined in my opinion. I would honestly need proof before I'd believe it.
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:12 PM

I've went to a place the kj had about the same attitude though he did allow me to use my disks, I had new music he did not have course some of my stuff that is last years he did not have either.

I generally sing older country, and carry around 80 songs on 4 disks, but have the newer stuff with me.

When I left, I gave one of his regulars a plain el cheapo disk, no label but about 10 songs he did not have, I won't go back to that place so I figured it would be justice that a regular customer has music he does not.

Sometimes my rotteness gets the better of me.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Talking New Legal research published on copying!

MTU ask IPJustice.org to research if making backup copies is legal, including copying to a hard drive. Read this post on their legal research results. You'll be glad you did!