MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old October 27th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Question Powered vs non Powered speakers

I am curious about if I should go for "powered" speakers or non-powered speakers with amp for my Karaoke system. Anyone has any suggestions?
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Re: Powered vs non Powered speakers

i've had non powed ones for 14 years now from Carvin without any problems. But the new powered cabinets thay have are incredible. It's definitly the way to go. www.carvin.com
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I was looking at vocopro pv-300 series and seems like a nice compact and portable powered unit. the other curiousity I have is that if it is necwssary to buy subwoofer on top of the pair of the speakers? Or a pair of speakers will do the job (regardless they are powered or not. Of course, I know if they are non powered I will need to use amp)
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM

i would really stay away from their products. Vocopro is barely good enough for the untrained home user. Go with a professional brand like carvin, EV, jbl, yorkville or mackie
Beta Test Machine: DELL Inspiron 1721 * Vista Home Premium SP1 * AMD Athlon 64 dual core tk-57 1.90MHz * DVD/CDR Drive * 250GB HDD * 3GB RAM.

Show Work PC: Windows XP Pro sp3 * Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz, 4MB * 2GB DDR2-667 RAM * 80GB HD (C: for OS & Apps) * 500GB HD * 250 GB HD * DVD Recorder (Sony ADW-Q170A) * M-Audio Delta 410 Audio * ATI RADEON X1600 Pro 512MB video.
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Mackie makes a great powered speaker - SRM450 they are very popular here in this area as Mackie is located in the state of Washington.

These are excellent! Cost is about $650ea

I agree with Maxx stay away from VocoPro on most items. Some may disagree with this but in the last couple of years their quality and customer service has gone down hill. The older equipment was much better.

Flipper
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I have to agree with everyone else. I have used the mackie (450's) for four years. No Problem. Also have the subs (1500 and the 1501 and the CFX-12 Mixer). If your using passive and your amp goes out your dead in the water. If a 450 were to go down, (hasn't happen to me yet) you can still get by. There was one night I had forgotten to hook up one of my mackies and it wasn't until 40 minutes later I realized I didn't have it plugged in. I knew something wasn't just right but it took me a little to realize it.

Bottom line is you usually get what you pay for.

Kelly
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys. Not sure if I am ready to spend $650 for a powered speaker yet (or is this a price for a pair?) As I am not in KJ business. I am just a home user who like to have good enough stuff (OK maybe a little bit better than good enough LOL). Anyway, is the 1500 sub also powered? I have a mackie DFX6. If I used powered speaker and assuming the 1500 sub is also powered then I should be able to get away without an amp correct?

I will take a look at the speakers you guys suggest to see if I can find something that fit my price range better. If you know something please let me know.

BTW, what is the minimum you think I have to spend before I get a set of powered speaker and powered sub that is OK in your eyes for a home user?
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Correct the 1500 is powered also. But I believe they have stopped making the 1500 and now provide the 1501. Strange as it seems the 1501 was 600watt. The new inproved 1501 is a 500watt, but beleive me it puts out more of everything then the older one. Again, I'm very satisfied with Mackie. And yes that figure for the speaker is EACH not a pair. You may want to check Ebay. I bought an extra 450 off of ebay for $400 to use as a monitor.

Kelly
Old October 27th, 2004, 03:57 PM

When I first purchased a sound system I did alot of research on different configurations and after about a month of intense questions and conversations with KJ's and Sound System Dealers I found that no matter which way you go...i.e. powered vs passive on the speakers, the cost was almost exactly the same. What you are going to pay for amp/speakers/mixer that is.

Because you have the DFX6 you have already headed in the powered speaker direction. For home use you may find that Peavey has an excellent speaker in it's Impulse Line that is a 10" 2way that sounds terrific. I use them in small venues where speaker placement is a problem with my 15" cabinets.
About 5yrs ago Peavey had some quality problems, but in my opinion this new line (Impulse) is a terrific value. As I expand my business with smaller venues this will be my speaker of choice.

I'm continually amazed at the sound that these speakers create. Lots of bottom end, very similar to my 15" cabinets. Up until I heard these speakers I had never found a 10" cabinet that could produce acceptable bottom end sound. Visiting KJ's have came up and asked me where my speakers are and when I point to them they see the size they can't believe that quality of sound is coming from that small of a cabinet. I use these for private parties, and medium sized venues as well.

You are still looking at $350 - $500 for a good powered cabinet depending on brand and cabinet size. Mackie is what I would consider to be the Ultimate, and that is why you are going to pay the $600 - $700 price tag.

You may consider renting a set before you buy to see if they produce the results you are looking for. Many times you can talk them into letting you use them for a day for free if you use a credit card as a deposit. My first system was purchased after I used it on my first gig...kind of a test drive if you will. The next day I went in and bought the whole system, and they have had my business ever since. I now have 3 sound systems.

Good Luck In Your Search!
Flipper
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Many thanks for the replies and more I read the more I think there are so much I don't know about. Can anyone explain to me what is the differences between enclosures and monitor? Are they the same?
What I am wondering is that if I am looking for speakers I need at least a pair, correct? Then what I need monitor for? Do I need subwoffer? Do I need all of them? Remember I am just a home user and I do not do any show or anything just to amuse myself and love to have gears around just to satisfy myself
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:42 AM

for home all you'll need ia a pair of the carvin APS15A powered speakers and keep them on the floor (you'll get better bass response). They cost $379.99 each and will blow away the mackies(which are awesome). They have a full EQ on the back too and won't over-heat. www.carvin.com here are the specs:

350w RMS (Hi Freq: 50w @ 16 ohms, Lo Freq. 300w @ 8 ohms)
Frequency Response: 60 Hz to 18 kHz ±3 dB
Useable Low Frequency: 49 Hz (-10 dB)
Sensitivity: 100 dB SPL, 1 Watt @ 1 meter
Coverage Angles: 90° Horizontal, 45° Vertical
Horn Driver Protection: Yes
Inputs/Outputs: One 1/4", One Speakon™
Woofer Enclosure Type: Vented
Enclosure: .30” ABS, water, scratch resistant
Dim: 17.5"W x 14"D x 27"H, 48 Lbs.

PM15A - 15" APS Powered Molded Loudspeaker

The bi-amped PM15A with 350w APS™ technology (300w woofer/50w titanium HF driver) surpasses the competition because of superior components and heavy Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) enclosure.

• Controlled dispersion for main or monitor use
• Heavy-duty 15" woofer delivers tight bottom-end.
• Crisp, clear highs emanate from a wide dispersion bi-radial horn
• Weather/scratch resistant, molded ABS, ergonomical easy-carry handle, steel grill
• PM15A 3-band sweepable mids, level, XLR/1/4"input-through & AC connectors
• Includes angled monitor stands
• Includes speaker stand mount
• Includes flypoints for suspending

Old October 29th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I have powered CRETE speakers I think they are good. I ave had a few problems 1 loose wire and one amp went out. Iwas told loose wire was a mishap from being moved around so much..(HMMM sound odd to me)..the other I was told was because a freind of mine who ran a show in a pinch for me pushed em too hard.

I paid 800$ for the pair and wish i knew more then (hind sight 20/20)
But overall I am very happy with em they sound good I get a copliment or 5 every night. and some of em are singers who been singing a while and are good! So ehhh Definately get what you pay for

And I have heard nothing but great things about Mackie and peavy----Vocoo -BAD (nerver tried em my self just hearsay)