MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:48 AM

I almost forgot

I called myself Dr. Karaoke and have the Rx symbol on my book (homemade) and I wear my scrubs (medical outfit) to the gigs..Is this too corny or should I use as a tool...where do you draw the line between wanting to be prfessional and funny/crowd savy?

Also do I need to go down town and register my business and pay taxes on my income? or Is it like if I mowed lawns like when I was 13 and ok..(barring now im over 18..etc) Legal issues here?
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:01 PM

quick answers

You have to pay taxes on all your income.

I believe you can do business as any name unless someone else has done the official thing and registered that name. If you want checks paid to "Dr. karaoke" then you need to tell the bank to accept these checks by arranging for a DBA (Doing business as) I think that you can add this feature to an existing account. Otherwise, advertise as "Dr. Karaoke", but have them pay in cash or write checks to you with your personal (account) name.
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM

how do I prove

what about places that pay cash. Do I go off of honesty or do I have to get recipts if they pay cash ..How does this work..Anyone else wanna chime in if they do this or not...is it a state thing?
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Depends on location, and your sense of responsibility. In the town where I live All gigs pay cash. No License, and no one reports income.

The IRS will Nail you for anything they can, and as far as I am concerned the less thy know the better. But that is a personal decision.

After my last audit (non-karaoke related), I considered loading up the karaoke, and the motorhome, and moving town to town playing my karaoke, and enjoying life. If you think for a moment the IRS is honest and have rules to follow, then you are fooling yourself.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Supporting Illegal Activity

Not to be a square, but not reporting your income, even hard to trace cash, is illegal. Whether one obeys the law or not is a personal decision. But the legality of it is not.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I am not supporting illegal activities.

I was Stating the local trend in this area. if you earn over $600.00 a year at any establishment, you will probably get a 1099 for it anyways.

But do you report every $2.00 winner you have on a scratch off ticket? If you don't then ...........
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Trends are trends; the law is the law.

Someone is asking whether they should declare income. Over a public forum, I wouldn't be advising them not to.

I don't gamble, but pointing out whether I declare a scratcher or not is, of course, not useful. My behavior is my behavior; the law is the law.

Besides, $2.00 scratchers compared to unsuccessful tickets probably amount to a loss anyway!
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Over a public forum, I wouldn't be advising them not to.
If you see anywhere in my post where I say, "I advise you not to report income" I would like to see it. as you said I stated a local trend. Sheesh!
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Peace

I think we know what the law is now and that, I believe, was the question in the first post.

Another point to consider. You never know if the people that pay you cash are going to deduct your show as some kind of entertainment expense. They'll maybe want a receipt. Saying that you don't give receipts because of taxes might come off a little un-professional.

I believe that practically, hiding, or not declaring income may come around to bite you in the behind. Nevertheless, whatever may happen, it's the law to declare your income.

It is hard to respond to what I believe is a complaint about putting words in someone's mouth. The complaint itself seems to be putting words in my mouth. Any future responses I make to that, if any or if solicited, will be PM'ed