MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 16th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Small Time Hookup-Why is there a buzz?

I'm hoping that one of you professional show guys can tell me why, when I try to use the Line Out on my computer and hook it into my Receiver, I get a buzzing sound. I don't get this buzzing sound when using the headphones.

I'm using a 25 ft wire to string from the Computer to the Stereo. The fact that it is an extension chord doesn't seem to bother the Headphones.

Do I need a better set of cables?

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it in some way? (That would seem to be the most useful info.... But any suggestions are appreciated. I can buy stuff at FRY's here in California, and take it back within 30 days if I am not satisfied.

As I think about this problem, I believe that I have always had a buzzing no matter what the computer. Here is my current Sound
Card

Sonic Edge 5.1 PSC605

I imagine that if I were Hoster Man (doobie doobie doo..biddi biddi bum) I would need to know how to eliminate this annoyance.

Any help is appreciated
Old December 16th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Post Ground problem

Sounds like a grounding problem discussed at length in another forum. Put a ground lift (the little grey 2 to 3 prong adapter) on your computer power cord. If this doesn't fix it, try plugging all of of your equipment (including TV) into the same power strip. This should insure that there is not a cross ground somewhere. Lot's of us have had to put the ground lift on the computer.

Wayne
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Problem Solved-Ground Loop Isolator

Thanks Wayne

Tried:

Plugging Computer into same strip as everything else. (Admittedly, my strip is more of the $6.00 not $29.00 variety.) Computer kept turning off-Buzz not solved.

Went to Radio Shack and purchased two different items; 2 to 3 prong adapters, and Ground Loop Isolator

The Ground Loop Isolator did the trick. I wondered if I had plugged it in right since there was absolutely no noise. It had nothing to do with electrical outlets. It was all RCA

Good Luck and thanks again.