MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM

want to buy a system any advice?

i am also looking to buy a system i was thinking of going with:

vocopro 600 watt power amp
vocopro7 mixing board
2) vocopro 4000 single deck players (in case one malfuctions)
4) sound tech ast15 15" 2 way loud speakers
vocopro ssp500 speakers with subwoofers
3) rsq microphone
geminini ux1610h headseat wireless mic

am i way off base here?
is voco pro that bad?
i need help quick i was going to buy in august
now i wonder if i should wait.
i want the best i can get for around $5,000.
any suggestions
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Administrator

I moved this to a better forum for you to receive answers.

Instead of using a Vocopro CDG Player deck, and taking your CDG discs every night, you should seriously consider our Hoster software and an MTU Portable PC, Rack Mount, or Laptop computer (lowest to highest price). Then you can have all your songs on a hard drive, find them instantly with the new search capability, print your Songbooks from Hoster, and have more time to enjoy the show and your audience.

Click here to read about Hoster.
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:45 AM

thank you administrator
if i would happen to buy the program which would be with the computor do i have to go online at the places i play at? i am new to this so i do not lunderstand how it would work.
i tried downloading the free version but it would not finish.
i am interested. could something like this make a 2 person show into a 1 person show?
is there anyone in the green bay area who is now using your system so i could go check it out
would be most helpful
thank you
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM

One of my systems have the vocopro mixing board and crown amplifier, I have the double 18" peaveys BW, and a dbl set of MTX. I am pushing 2000 watts and never have to push it with good sound in any venue. Had I to do it over and start fresh I would definately go with hoster, which I will anyway in the next two years when I retire from my regular job. The expierience I have had with the vocopro equiptment is mostly bad with the players and speakers. The mixer I now have I would buy again. The amp you are speaking of I have no expierience with. When I was running a vocpro system mixeramp combo with vocopro player and speakers. I had to push the envelope to get the same sound I do out of my other show with all peavey equiptment. The vocopro player would some times refuse to take the +10 key several times in a row. I do hope they have solved this problem, but I do know several others that had the same problem and replaced the players with JVC 303s or 22s. With the gemini 1610m wireless headset, I have expierience with, it is a good mic in my opine. Only thing I had against it was the foam covering comes off easy, I got one at a local supplier and it fits tight and don't come off. I also have the 1620M wireless hand helds and have good luck with them. The range is very good and no dead spots wherever I have set up. The best of luck. Swany
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:58 PM

I got it for less

I bought
crete speaker (2)400w powered (no amps or anyhitng to worry about. I think my cretes sound really good >>Like a peavy or mackie speaker

mackie mixer (1) 350series (great mixer)

2 shure wired mics 56's

cables cords etc

home pc 1.7Ghz 120 gig HD w/monitor

1 audiotech wireless mc
for 3000$ and I have been told I have the best system around by lots of people

Hope this helps
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:00 PM

where you at swany

I am in nw indiana are you close to me?

Rich
Dr Karaoke
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:38 PM

ok looks like i should buy the holster
so i will. i am looking at the portable pc with 120GB drive
i see there are upgrades to this, (pentium-4 processor, 200GB hard drive, backup software, and the rf modulator)
so....would any one recomend these upgrades?
i would like to hook up to extra tv's that are in the places i go to.
again i am new to this so sorry if i seem ignorant i am trying to learn as i go on.
i also see vocopro is OUT, thank you for that!
i do not like wireless mics because of the people who (inhale) drink too much as we all know it can happen, start walking off with them. not good.
so when i go with hoster i would also need WHAT? that i do know i would like 2 speakers on speaker mounts 2 speakers on the floor, and also a set of speakers on the floor facing the patron singing.
you guys tell me what kind of speakers to buy and i will go with that.
what else would i need with the holster
i e-mailed them but they never got back to me yet.
again thanks for helping this "not to smart girl"
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Hey girl...LOL

Well my first pc was a 900mhz 256DDR AMD with a Soundblaster live card and it worked great!

One thing I dont understand is wh people get amps. If you get what is called powered speaker they have built in amps and everything built in. For example I have 2-15" 400w powered Cretes and they are awsome. I have a mackie DFX 12 mixer (very important to have a mixer) next to the pc its is most crucial (and speakers lol) You can always upgrade mics and stuff later.

My mixer and speakers can handle a total of 6 speakers like I have if you daisy chain them with no loss in quality

If you can afford it I sugest a 880 mic( I personally suggest this I tested em at a shop and they sound deep and rich with sound) or a upper end Shure like a 56..Ihave pg 56.

Anyway The upgrades you mention I think are nice but not needed unless your gonna be using ALL of the programs MTU offers. My mixer has a vocal illiminator that works darn near voco pro..but it wont be long till MTU knocks that out too.

Don't worry about being new. I am new too but I spen prob 2-3 hrs a day reading forums searching the web or talking to my music shop. If you buy this stuff froma music store be sire they will help you..mine bends over backwards..GREAT SERVICE just like MTU.

If you want PM me and Ill give you my email and we can chat.

Rich
Dr Karaoke
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM

AUDIX - Great Mic's to check out...

Guys and gals,
I have a great microphone to recommend for any of you. Not sure of the exact model, but it is an Audix and it is bulletproof. I bought 2 of them for $75 each at Guitar Center (I think they list for $100 each). People that drink toooo much will end up drop your mikes, and hams will try to run off with a wireless to go "Vegas Style" through the crowd. Neither are good scenario's.

I have 2 SM-58's (which I still think are the best sounding, and what I still use in my booth) but the casings are all beat to crap from people dropping them)...anyway, the Audix can be beat on the concrete repeatedly with great force and it will not phase them... Well worth the money and they sound great as well. The only down side is that they have to be held closer to the mouth and straight to get the sound good. The upside to that is that you reduce feedback from monitors and other mikes.

CD+G player - Pioneer. PD-V 10G. This is simply the best player on the market bar none. I have owned a few different players, and this model is simply the best. They range from 329 - 399 depending on where you shop. I recommend searching the internet and gettting the best deal.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Re: AUDIX - Great Mic's to check out...

Quote:
Originally posted by louieoke2
People that drink toooo much will end up drop your mikes, and hams will try to run off with a wireless to go "Vegas Style" through the crowd. Neither are good scenario's.

CD+G player - Pioneer. PD-V 10G. This is simply the best player on the market bar none. I have owned a few different players, and this model is simply the best. They range from 329 - 399 depending on where you shop. I recommend searching the internet and gettting the best deal.
So long as they bring them back at the end of their song, I generally don't mind at all sombody going "Vegas Style", as you say. It generally means that they know their song and are at least trying to be a bit more entertaining than just standing there like a bump on a log. (Like most of them).

As for the player?...... Hmmmmm.... Well, Just my humble opinion, of course, but I prefer a product called "Hoster". [BWG] Couple Hoster with a descent PC or lap-top and a multi-display card and your in-like-flynn.

Yep....Best player on the market!
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:45 PM

wild bill it is YOU i want to talk to!!!!
i would like to go hoster (read my earlier posts)
i would like the ups and the downs. i would love very much to see one in "action" but nobody around my area has one.
please give me all the info you can
THANK YOU
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Hmmm.....?

Well, I think most of us here are qualified to assist but I am happy to be be of assistance. I'm about to run out of town for the weekend and won't be back till Monday or Tuesday.

What I Can tell you now is that if you do, or want to do, more than just a fly-by-night karaoke show, then Hoster is definetly worth the money. The only serious problem I have had with it (Besides having to click "ADD" rather then just being able to press [ENTER]), is my video card. (Not really a Hoster problem but the video card problem does complicate Hoster operations a bit).

If you are doing serious karaoke, then you'll get your investment back just in the cost of CDG's that you don't have to replace because they were lost or stolen.

JMHO.
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Hey Wild Bill!

True on the "Vegas style singing" if you know your audience, but I think KaraokeG is just getting started out. I would still have to recommend the wired mic's at least until he get's started good. I play a few sceptical places that I really know the crowd, thus I still use the wired mic's (ha!) I have a Shure wireless that's great, but mostly prefer wired. Also with the Audix wired mic's, you cannot break them literally. I know a good wireless rig is going to set you back a good $400 or more, and for someone getting started out, having a $400 mic dropped and broken, would be devistating.

So, I would have to still recommend getting 2 really good wired mic's and cords for a lot less money, then down the road, invest in some wireless equipment when the time and money is there. This also gives you some good back up's, and I don't think anyone should do a show without a least 1 good back up.

I also plan on getting Hoster, as I have every other program MTU makes. The Laptop is my biggest setback however. I started when this product wasn't available (or at least I didn't know about it) and I can honestly say, if I were starting out now, I would recommend getting hoster right off the bat....here's why!

I have around 1000 discs currently- I have copies of every disc. If you figure it takes 30 minutes to make 1 disc copy, that's 500 hours. Figure my time is worth a mere $10 per hour to do this. That's still $5000. Hoster and a sweet laptop would definitely be a great cost savings to me.

Lastly, I went to school in Charlotte. Olympic High School. Graduated in 1987. Good to see some bretheren in here.

The Artist formerly known as Louieoke!
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM

yes louieoke i am just started out but it is on my own. i have been the "HOSTESS with the mostest" thats what they call me.
i have been doing it for about 10 years as a patron 8 months as a hostess. i have used wireless mics when i sang, i think it is up to the discretion of the kj. the shows i went to would let me use thier wireless but not many patrons could. when i do buy my system i will have 3 wired mics one wireless and i wear a headset. i want to start big and stay big. i already have 4 bars that i am a regular at, but with my own system i will get more. i only get paid between 60 and 80 bucks a nite to do this, while when i book i charge between 200 and 225, so you can tell who gets all the money, buy hey without him there would be no me.
i just want to make sure i can "run" a show by myself and still interact with the patron 100% i need to dance, walk around,
play my tamborine, and talk to patrons. so that is why i am looking at hoster also
thanks for the input
karokeg aka gloria
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:10 PM

Re: Hey Wild Bill!

Quote:
Originally posted by louieoke2
I know a good wireless rig is going to set you back a good $400 or more, and for someone getting started out, having a $400 mic dropped and broken, would be devistating.
I HATED they way I sounded at the karaoke bars and always thought that the problem was in the cheap Microphones that they all used. Before I started my first show four Years ago, I knew I wanted GOOD mic's. Celene Dion could be made to sound like a rank amature if she was limited to mic's of the type I have seen in most karaoke bars around Charlotte. When I bought my two Wireless Shure Beta 87's they ran me $600.00 each! (And some change).

That's when I discovered that the problem with voice sound quality was not so much the fault of the microphones, but that the KJ's didn't know how to set up their equipment.

Feedback problem?
Fix by washing out the high and mid ranges on the mic's......

WRONG!!!

The amount of money I spent of those mic's turned out to be unecessary but they still turned out to be a good investment. I had to replace the battery caps on them once and they still look almost brand new. The screens arn't even dented yet. Both of them have been dropped at least a dozen times but it wasnt until a few month ago that one actually sustained some dammage. Now, the on/off switch dosent work. :(

Other than that, they have never given me even the first hint of trouble.

Even so, I agree that it's alot of money for the starting KJ.

Last edited by bdayton; June 20th, 2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM

Hey Wild Bill - Reprise

Hopefully it broke in the "ON" position!

Regards,
Louieoke
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by karaokeG
yes louieoke i am just started out but it is on my own. i have been the "HOSTESS with the mostest" thats what they call me.

karokeg aka gloria
I like the hoster system, I am not all that sure about it yet, If I were to buy it, I would get the full package with all upgrades.

I think I would run the system out into a Karaoke amp such as the vocal-pro karaoke amp about $325.00, that amp allows for sepurate music volumn, and voice volumn, with a few effects, echo etc...

I would get 2 Yamaha 15" stutio speakers and stands about $250.00 each,

3 wired mikes (about 20.00 each, no on/off switch type)

TV stand ($65.)
13" TV (89.00)
15" or less computer monitor (200.00)

Next you need to buy your disks....here is where you are going to start spending the money...I suggest the DK milliumn serries, thats 115 disks which most everyone will like hits about all types, then start building off that...Chartbuster has a good series, and I would look into getting a few of the Top hits monthly disks. Sound Choice run about 25.00 each...

Have fun.

Alan.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM

Re: Re: Hey Wild Bill!

Quote:
Originally posted by bdayton
I HATED they way I sounded at the karaoke bars and always thought that the problem was in the cheap Microphones that they all used. Before I started my first show four Years ago, I knew I wanted GOOD mic's. Celene Dion could be made to sound like a rank amature if she was limited to mic's of the type I have seen in most karaoke bars around Charlotte. When I bought my two Wireless Shure Beta 87's they ran me $600.00 each! (And some change).

Even so, I agree that it's alot of money for the starting KJ.
I think that the cheap mikes are just fine as you pointed out, the problem isn't the mike, its the system operator...

A good sturdy mike is best in my opinion.