MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Closed Thread

Old December 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Honor Roll

First, be sure you have installed all your Windows recommended Custom Updates.

Second, if your computer has Windows XP read and follow this page. If it has Vista, replace it with XP... but at least read and follow this page.

The major issue most people have with intermittent problems is computer resources, either RAM or processor speed. Windows itself runs a lot of "services" in memory. These reduce the RAM needed by Hoster to run your show, and they are of no benefit to you.

Other problems are related to software running in the background also competing for RAM and processor time. With a little investigation, you can determine what is actually necessary and what is not. Start with any programs that are running on start-up. If they are not absolutely necessary, shut them down!

I suggest you visit a web site I have used for many years: http://www.blackviper.com/. Take the time to read about all the things that are running in the background that are sucking up CPU cycles (processor time) and RAM. If they are not adding to your show, shut them off.

If Hoster is still not running correctly for you, post a message. There are plenty of people here that are willing to help. They are going to ask you a series of questions designed to narrow down the problem, including:
  1. Are you running Windows XP or Vista, and what Service Pack/Release (SP or SR1, 2, 3) is installed?

2. How much computer RAM is installed (256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, etc.)?

3. What is your processor speed (800MHz, 1GHz, 1.35GHz, 1.8GHz, etc.)?

4. What video card are you useing, or video chip on the motherboard?

5. How big is your hard drive, how much is allocated to C: drive, and how much free space do you have?

Diagnosing a computer problem is a back and forth conversation that can take as little as a few minutes, up to a few weeks, depending on how fast you can answer, and who is available at any given time. It is a whole lot faster to get your computer running if you take the time to answer these questions when you first post.

Please don't take it the wrong way. We all want everyone to have a trouble free show with as little down time as possible.

When your computer is prepared to run a professional Karaoke show, Hoster will run reliably, or you have discovered a new bug that we ALL want to help identify and help MTU to solve.
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I have done most of the upgrades and changes and my pc with vista did move a lot faster.

Okay, I know I suggested this before of taking a USB flash drive and using it to add ram to your pc.

If you have ready boost (comes with Vista and only vista) it asks you if you want to use ready boost when you plug it in.

Take a 4gig that is Ready boost compliant. Most are and if you put it in the same port on your laptop everytime before starting, you must also never remove it before shutting down, it will add ram to your system and speed you up considerable.

On my home pc I added a 4gig and it speeded things up very much. That plugs in the back and is not removed.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Swany if you read the information on ReadyBoost it does not increase your memory. It creates a disk cache of files commonly used. The reason it makes things faster is because seek time for a flash drive is much faster than the seek time for a hard drive.
Closed Thread