MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Question Transfer Win98 License to WinXP Machine?

Hello,

My husband has had this program for a very long time on his old Gateway running Windows98. Recently he pulled the burner and installed it in this computer, a Dell with Windows XP. We'd really like to retire that old Gateway, but we can't get MTU to work with this Dell.

I've searched in the FAQ and in here but I don't see anything about it, so I'm guessing I was searching wrong. If anyone knows the address of a FAQ or an old post in here I would appreciate the link.

A little more background: When he first bought the program it was actually called something else, I can't remember what. It might have had the word 'sketch' in it. Then he upgraded every time an upgrade came out, and never had any problems on the Gateway.

When moving the program to this computer, he couldn't find his original installation software, so he pulled the oldest executable off of his Gateway that he could find. When he executes it over here, he gets "Your serial number does not match your registration information. Please reinstall MicroStudio and try again."

So I'm thinking the problem is that we don't have that original package, which is why I'm here. I'm sure there's a simple way to move the program to a new computer with a newer operating system somewhere in here, which is why I just typed all this out. I hope I didn't give too much detail and bore you to death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

MTU will have to reset your registration. This happens when you change your hardware (moving to a different computer qualifies). They should answer you back here to say it is fixed. Then you can reinstall.
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Thank you so much, ddouglas! Do you think they'll answer me back in here, or that I should go make a ticket for it? I read some rules before I posted and I saw a post that said not to post MTU staff questions in here; just stuff other users could help you with. So maybe I should go make a ticket on their help page? I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thanks for answering so quickly and efficiently. We really appreciate the help!
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Fastest would be to make a ticket on the Support page for something like this, though MTUSupport may answer you here too.
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Thank you again. I'll post a ticket over there. I appreciate the information very much. Have a great day...and soon...a great weekend!!!