MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 9th, 2002, 05:15 PM

What do you do about "BAD" regulars?

I've been running a karaoke show for several years, and since the beginning... my show has had a standard set of "regulars" who come to almost every show. It's usually a group of about 7 to 10 people, and while each and every one of them are nice people... I am having some problems.
1- These regulars have become way too comfortable around me. For instace, I have been aproached twice by one in particular who has asked me to lend him money! I refused, as I believed this would interfere with our "professional" KJ-customer relationship. Yet he had the nerve to ask again!
2. When my shows are busy... which they usually are... several of these regulars will become agitated when they don't get to sing more than one or two songs.
3. I am constantly having to listen to many members of the crowd complain about these "regulars", as they are much older than anyone else in the bar, and their music reflects that. For instance, I'll have 5 or 6 upbeat modern songs that get the whole bar moving, and then a regular will get up and sing "Crazy" by Patsy Cline... I realize that this is the nature of Karaoke, but I'm tired of listening to the crowds complaints!
4. Finally, the most important factor is that the majority of these regulars don't drink... and in effect... they don't spend any money at the bar! A couple of them literally drink water all night long!
I've even seen one of them fish a soda pop out of their back pack just so they wouldn't get charged for a drink!!!
The staff at two different bars that I work at have been complaining to me heavily over the last year about these regulars... and none of the waitstaff want's to wait on them!
I'm not sure how to handle this situation, because I don't want to say or do anything that would create hard feelings on any side... but I'm getting kind of fed up! Has anyone else here had this sort of problem, or am I just being an *******?
-D