MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: What software do you use for playing videos during intermissions?
I use Hoster for playing videos. 2 14.29%
I use virtualDJ for playing videos. 2 14.29%
I use Windows media player for playing videos. 0 0%
I use another program (please state in post) for playing videos. 1 7.14%
I do not play videos during intermission times. 2 14.29%
I do not play videos as there is never much intermission time (all karaoke). 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2009, 08:18 AM
VIP

What DJ software, if any, do you use while playing videos during intermission?

I use Virtual DJ for videos during intermission at shows when it is karaoke combined with dance, however, many nights it is all karaoke and no other formats are expected.
I suspect many of you will be in that category of "karaoke only.".

Last edited by bryant; June 15th, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I actually use a mixture of things but If I am just doing Karaoke show I generally use Hoster as this still displays the next singer while the video is playing.
Because of this I ticked the Hoster Box.

Now if I'm doing disco I use a program called "Rocket Pro" which has a video feature which I use but I also have a DVD Player which I can switch in and out, I carry about 30 video DVDs In a wallet with approx 15 songs on each. The reason I do this is because I like to show video in the full Quality and the ones on my computer are of less quality to save drive space. I also have some visual only videos which you can just leave running in the DVD while playing mp3 music. Also my computer runs quite hot after playing a number of consecutive video's so it saves on computer resources.

The DVD player also plays various formats of singers own disks when doing karaoke which aren't always CD+G format.

Roy
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
VIP

Karaoke only at my shows, no time for anything else.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM

What DJ software do you use during intermission

We run a one man show start to finish with no intermission. No breaks.

muzicman144
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
We run a one man show start to finish with no intermission. No breaks.

muzicman144
This is normally the case for me but some nights folks insist on dance music. In this case I do karaoke until the last hour of the show (If the show stops at 1am, the dance set starts at 12am) when I play 15 to 20 minutes of heavy dance music then I finish the night with karaoke. I always run some line dance songs and some booty music and everybody is happy.

Being we're on the subject, do you guys who are running videos pay for them? If there are free ones available how do you know the free one from the ones you pay for and where do you get them? I'm just curious.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Being we're on the subject, do you guys who are running videos pay for them? If there are free ones available how do you know the free one from the ones you pay for and where do you get them? I'm just curious.

Jim
One of my previous posts: http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=11512

I don't know of any free decent quality downloads. Before using the site above I have bought the Promo only DVDs at about £37.50 each with about 20 tracks on them. Others I have are the Original Artist CD volumes with all the old recordings on VCD quality DAT files.

Roy.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
VIP

Intermission screen is my Karaoke Logo... it might flash a few times long enough for somebody to notice it... but never long enough to read a marquee string longer than 5-10 seconds, or a video (if I had one). I run in auto mode for my shows, and never break for the 3-4 hrs that the show runs... I play a different playlist of audio music prior to Karaoke show ( OTS DJ Program) if time allows... according to the needs and wants of the venue... if they have a jukebox, then I don't infringe on their need to earn the extra $5 - 10 bucks... and the clientele knows enough not to stuff in a bunch of $$$ for songs that they will have to wait 4 hrs to hear, if it's close to showtime!

You've got to work with management, and educate the clientele as you build your gigs... communicate, and let everybody be in on the decisions that will keep the peace... better to lay down the rules and proceedures prior too, than having to make a good customer mad at you for wasting that quarter ( $ ).

Dancing during Karaoke show is encouraged, but a couple of my venues has limited dance areas, and I'm usually trying to find extra seating capacity to seat a good crowd... but put on a line dance at the end of the night, and the dance floor magically appears...

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Video & Visualizations

During breaks between singers I use my karaoke logo on the intermission screen. Before karaoke starts, I sometimes play music with Windows Media Player G-Force visualizations, but most of the time I use Webshots while I play music. I find it great to have pictures and scenes for the different holidays that come up. I just recently did a wedding and reception on July 4th., and I had pictures of a car with a just married sign complete with cans tied to the bumper, ring being put on hand, fireworks, flags, and even a bald eagle in black and white except for the eye which was golden in color.

EmilioM
Memories & More
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Emilio, WMP has a plugin visualization to be able to show picture series that you can use to show those pictures while the music is playing.
Hoster 4.09d also has the capability of using those visualizations with imported audio files.
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM

ddouglass, thanx for the reply. I knew that, but I've been doing it like this for so long, I'm just used to it. I once investigated and downloaded a program, (don't remember the name of it) that would show pictures and visualizations and would do some pretty neat things, but it never got used, so I just deleted it from my computer. Also, as far as Hoster, I always keep my karaoke logo on if I have Hoster on while playing music.

EmilioM
Memories & More