MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Re: New place to gig on Thursday, but Sun/Tue. bar owner doesn't seem to like the ide

Yah, Musicman51, sometimes when you don't use "Common Sense" the "I don't Know what happen comes to greet YOU" and it may not be pretty.

The End......
Joe....
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: New place to gig on Thursday, but Sun/Tue. bar owner doesn't seem to like the ide

How about Ford making those who drove another brand car to work had to park in a lot across the street from the plant.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Been doing local shows in Florida for the last three years. There are approx 8 clubs in one area. I play at everyone. I have never had any club make this approach to me. I may play Tues at one, thurs at another, and so on. This has never been an issue. Fortunately, i do draw healthy crowds each time i play.
If I was approached as Bryan was, I would simply say, this is the price and we have been pretty successful at it, and i see no reason to change a thing.
It seems to me Bar #1 is beinga little selfish as he wants to protect his profits while attempting to control or deny Bryans freedom to make a little more money on a night he is not obligated to play Bar #1.
As for myself, i wouldn't change my price and i would continue to play at Bar # 2. Let's see where the loyalty of the 5 years of fringe benfits Bar #1 has enjoyed comes into play.
JMHO
muzicman144
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:35 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Been doing local shows in Florida for the last three years. There are approx 8 clubs in one area. I play at everyone. I have never had any club make this approach to me. I may play Tues at one, thurs at another, and so on. This has never been an issue. Fortunately, i do draw healthy crowds each time i play.
If I was approached as Bryan was, I would simply say, this is the price and we have been pretty successful at it, and i see no reason to change a thing.
It seems to me Bar #1 is beinga little selfish as he wants to protect his profits while attempting to control or deny Bryans freedom to make a little more money on a night he is not obligated to play Bar #1.
As for myself, i wouldn't change my price and i would continue to play at Bar # 2. Let's see where the loyalty of the 5 years of fringe benfits Bar #1 has enjoyed comes into play.
JMHO
muzicman144
I think you hit the nail on the head Musicman.

Old March 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Thanx a lot Marklewood, interesting point of view and I've been thinking about that. i have done a lot of extras for this owner in the past as far as trying to get new ppl in there, boast up his restauraunt for him, etc. utilize his big screens, show videos, slide shows, etc. The crowd brags to him about all that stuff about me too. I did tell him I didn't want to do anything to ruin the fine working relationship we had had together. The new place does seem to be copying some of his routine stuff too, got a few of his bouncers there, gets the jager girls in (whoever they are), etc. He doesn't think the new place will do any real damage or even be around a long time, and hasn't really given me any ultimatums other than simply mention that he may have to offer less because of a thinned out crowd.

I'm just thinking "Geesh,hasnn't he appreciated all the extra effort (things) I've done to make his Sunday and Tuesday nights the fun place to be here in Central Maine.
I dont think you can put in extras to get a guys crowd built up, it is our job to do everything in reason to build everyones crowd to the best of our abilities. I know, Im in a special area maybe, but I will not book shows in bars or clubs that are in the same area, if Im playing at a place regularly.

It is true you can get jobs in some areas you were because of your good reputation, but you got the rep. at this mans bar, so you have to cut him some slack, there are a lot of karaoke people out there and a long time job like you have is more important, than a temp, once a week thing. Have you considered giving him a special price on 3 nights, and do thursdays too, thursday is a very good karaoke night. a lot of people, that get paid on fridays will go out on thursdays and spend what they have left over, so it has worked for me. It is a crazy thing for people to do but good for bar owners.

Bottom line I owuld not risk throwing away a surely good thing for an experimental new job. Have a good one my man.
kowboy..............danny