MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old October 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM

Regedit Delete Unsucessful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Not sure quite what I was thinking about Access. That would effect Hoster not Microstudio.
However the Roxio may be causing trouble. Look in your Startup folder in the Star Menu and see if there is a shortcut for Roxio. If there is delete it. This is a quick start utility for Roxio but isn't needed and actually can lock your drive to exclusive use by Roxio.
To change the registry: Click Start/Run, type "regedit" (without quotes) and hit enter. Next click the plus next to HKEY-CURRENT_USER, click the plus nest to software. Find Micro Technology Unlimited and click the plus next to it. Right click on Microstudio and delete the key. Close the registry editor.
Open Microstudio. This should rebuild the registry entries with all default settings and allow it to open.
If this doesn't work then your best bet is to restore back before 9/16. This will not effect any documents, files etc. that you have created since then so no worries there.
I don't find a shortcut for Roxio in the Startup folder or on my desktop. I deleted all the MTU subfolders other than MicroStudio. No luck. I then deleted the entire MTU folder after uninstalling Microstudio. Reinstalled. No luck. In fact, I was unable to bring up the task manager and had to shut the system off to regain control. I did notice that every time I installed, MicroStudio was able to enter my address, registration code and computer ID without my involvement (maybe a temp file when it uninstalls). I'm hesitant about rolling back the OS -- mainly because I haven't done it before and I rely heavily on my system for my professional work. I can't afford a problem. How do I find the place to invoke a rollback in XP Professional? If I rollback and am unhappy, can I get back to where I am now?

Last edited by EclecticProf; October 24th, 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Change title
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticProf View Post
I don't find a shortcut for Roxio in the Startup folder or on my desktop. I deleted all the MTU subfolders other than MicroStudio. No luck. I then deleted the entire MTU folder after uninstalling Microstudio. Reinstalled. No luck. In fact, I was unable to bring up the task manager and had to shut the system off to regain control.
I am not sure I understand part of this. Why did you delete all the other MTU folders other than Microstudio? I am presuming this was on the C:\ drive you did this? Did you delete the C:\MTU folders or the C:\ Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\ folders?

Quote:
I did notice that every time I installed, MicroStudio was able to enter my address, registration code and computer ID without my involvement (maybe a temp file when it uninstalls).
This is done from a file on the C:\ drive that isn't identified to us as being an MTU file. It contains your information and all of your registration codes that you have entered.

Quote:
I'm hesitant about rolling back the OS -- mainly because I haven't done it before and I rely heavily on my system for my professional work. I can't afford a problem. How do I find the place to invoke a rollback in XP Professional? If I rollback and am unhappy, can I get back to where I am now?
Your title for this post is Regedit failed, but you don't mention it in your post. What exactly did you do and what happened when you did it?

Let's wait before you try the System Restore as I am not convinced we have gone through everything we can try.
What other programs do you have installed on this computer?
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Regedit Unsuccessful #2

Quote:
I am not sure I understand part of this. Why did you delete all the other MTU folders other than Microstudio? I am presuming this was on the C:\ drive you did this? Did you delete the C:\MTU folders or the C:\ Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\ folders?

This is done from a file on the C:\ drive that isn't identified to us as being an MTU file. It contains your information and all of your registration codes that you have entered.

Your title for this post is Regedit failed, but you don't mention it in your post. What exactly did you do and what happened when you did it?

Let's wait before you try the System Restore as I am not convinced we have gone through everything we can try.
What other programs do you have installed on this computer?

REGEDIT:
My mistake (lack of precision). In Regedit, I first deleted the non-Microstudio folders, then the MicroStudio folder (after having uninstalled MicroStudio), and finally deleting the parent MicroTechnology folder. In each case I was uninstalling and then reinstalling MicroStudio with no luck. I never deleted the MTU folder or subfolders under C:ProgramFiles/.

HIDDEN FILE: Makes sense to me.

OTHER PROGRAMS:
WINDOWS: XP 5.1, Movie Maker 5.1, Media Player and Messenger.
HARDWARE: Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, Power DVD DX, Roxio Creator Premier Blu-Ray 10.1
BROWSERS: IE7, Safari, Google Desktop
E-MAIL: Eudora 7.1 and Outlook (Installed but don't use)
APPS: MS Office 2003, Front Page 2003, Visio 2003, Streets & Trips 2008, Games and Works. Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, Bridge, Device Central), Acrobat 9 (full), Messenger, Remote Assistance, QuickTime 7.5.5, ITunes, IrfanView 4.2, ACDC 10 Photomanager & Device Detector 4,
UTILITIES: NVIDIA Control Panel, Norton 2007 (System Works/AntiVirus), Norton Partition Magic, Amazon MP3 downloader.

After MicroStudio was last working (9/27), I installed SPSS 16, Minitab and a number of free Audio and video editing software programs from DVD Videosoft. I uninstalled all of those thinking one of them might have caused the problem. No luck.
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Let's try this. Uninstall (again) Microstudio. Do the Regedit again and delete just the Microstudio folder. Go to C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\ and delete only the Microstudio folder.

Restart the computer. Then re-install. If this doesn't fix it then something outside of Microsoft is preventing it from opening. Because this should re-install everything used by the program.

It may be that one of the other programs you installed did interfere with Microstudio. Even if you have uninstalled them the registry additions for those programs will still be there as well as other files they put in the Windows folder and in your user profile. Hopefully a complete removal and re-installation of Microstudio can restore what is needed.
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Smile Thanks Microstudio Opens

Quote:
Let's try this. Uninstall (again) Microstudio. Do the Regedit again and delete just the Microstudio folder. Go to C:\Program Files\Micro Technologies Unlimited\ and delete only the Microstudio folder.
Restart the computer. Then re-install. If this doesn't fix it then something outside of Microsoft is preventing it from opening. Because this should re-install everything used by the program.
It may be that one of the other programs you installed did interfere with Microstudio. Even if you have uninstalled them the registry additions for those programs will still be there as well as other files they put in the Windows folder and in your user profile. Hopefully a complete removal and reinstallation of Microstudio can restore what is needed.
NOW MICROSTUDIO WORKS JUST FINE!!! I uninstalled MicroStudio. In Regedit, I deleted just the MicroStudio folder. I went to C:\ProgramFiles looking for \Micro Technology Unlimited\. I couldn't find it. Since there were no other MTU programs, I think the uninstall deleted it. I restarted. I reinstalled MicroStudio. I restarted and I saw the window that checked for Show/Hide of my burner. Window task manager shows the MicroStudio appication running normally.

Thank you ever so much for the time you put in on this problem. I had promised to change the key on some Karaoke CDGs for my wife for an upcoming gig. Now I'm back in business. THANKS!!!
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Your Welcome. You should now be able to re-install your other programs too.
Old October 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks #2

Quote:
Your Welcome. You should now be able to re-install your other programs too.
I am going to reinstall very carefully and check MicroStudio anytime I add anything new to my system. Doug, I do appreciate so much what you did for me. I would enjoy saying thanks in person. Milo
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

It isn't necessary Milo. Just seeing that we finally solved it is thanks enough for me.