MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Having problems with setting Field order.

Gentlemen,

I've been having a problem with the field order in Microstudio.
I've been creating many fine Cd disk after the MTU staff and others using this forum help remove the obstacules. Now the same field order showing (I have not changed the field order from day to todays date.
Out a clear blue sky when my cd's are playing they no longer list the song title, the artist or the album number. I have it set on; Title - Artist - DiskID - Track.
i have tried using .wav files and .mp3 files and cannot get it right. I have looked through my print out of the manual but have not found any explanation of the process to make this work.
When I first stared wasting MTU disks I started using a Memorex rerecordable 48X-700MB disk. Can this be a problem?
Thanking you in advance,
Vince
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Vince when MS is listing songs on your computer the file name is where it finds the information to display. However, when you have it list those on a CD this information has to be looked up somewhere else as the files names on CDs are Track 1, Track 2, etc. and don't comtain the information. There is nothing for MS to use to look them up. The filenames are no help because again they are Track 1, etc. and do not contain any information.
The field order you set in MS is for those tracks that you import from the CDs that MS stores as either BIN format for CDG or WAV format for audio songs. When the file is saved to the hard drive then that is the order of the filename entries. This field order has nothing to do with reading a CD list of files.

Last edited by ddouglass; July 10th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Ddouglas -

With my wife's voice and mine being so far apart, I have to take songs that we will be singing (as duets), Use Keyrite to adjust the key somewhere between our two ranges and change the key accordingly. If I didn't do it that way every song would have to be marked for that key change. I can fit some 20 songs on a disk that will all play theoreticly in Zero (0). Keeps me from having to remind each KJ to check the key, or having words.
The trouble comes in when I try to put the mp3 songs on a CD rom. When the disk is completed and I play it in my player it only shows " track 01 - unknown singer - and doesn't show my Album Number that I code in thru Cakewalk's Mp3 encoder. The order of my encoder is; " track # - Song name - Artist Name - Album # - and song style" (Song style is Ballad, Showtune or whatever)"
I have been assuming that it would be the order that I would use assembling the disk.
If you have any other information along these lines I would appreciate it. I also printed out the manual that deals with the subject anf maybe I can learn more about the system.

Tks.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

This is why Microstudio has a button (top right) to "Export Song List as .rtf File for Label. This alllows you to print out a listing of what is on the disc you are burning so you know what each track is.
When you burn the tracks back onto a CD Microstudio converts them back to CDG (for Karaoke files) or WAV (for audio files) regardless of what format they are in on your computer. If you look at the contents of a music CD with Windows Explorer it lists the file names as Track01.CDA indicating that it is an audio file type with or without video.
The tracks will be in the order they were shown in the Write Disc window which you can re-order before burning.
And by the way using Re-writable discs is a very bad idea as most Karaoke Players will not recognize them.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM

To: ddouglass

Thanks for the "and by the Way". I asked the tech at Fry's about the rewritable disk's before I purchased them and he stated that they would work as well as the regular disks. So much for knowledgeable techs working in a reputable store such as Fry's.
I think that was a big part of my problems. I like the disks I was buying through MTU but the frieght was hurting my pocketbook. Do you feel that Memorex disks have enough quality in them to use with the MTU software?
I also read in the manual for "1st time users" that states, if you have any older files, that MTU would convert them to .bin files. Your saying that it converts them to .cda files, is that correct?.
As a gift to my children, grandchildren and now, great grandchildren, my wife and I are recording our songs that we do at all the venues we perform at. Do you think that I should be using another software to record them with? I have been converting all those performances into mp3 files before we record them to cd's. Are you saying that MTU software is converting them back to .wav files during the recording to Disk or are they still mp3's? All the cd's I purchase show, on my player screen, the song, the Artist and the album number. That's what I'm trying to achieve. Am I trying to do something that is not available through the software I am using or am I looking for too much Blue Sky?

Tks
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
Thanks for the "and by the Way". I asked the tech at Fry's about the rewritable disk's before I purchased them and he stated that they would work as well as the regular disks. So much for knowledgeable techs working in a reputable store such as Fry's.
I am sure they normally are but I doubt they deal with Karaoke Players very much.

Quote:
I think that was a big part of my problems. I like the disks I was buying through MTU but the frieght was hurting my pocketbook. Do you feel that Memorex disks have enough quality in them to use with the MTU software?
I have used Music Quality Memorex disks before and never had any problems with them. I do use the MTU ones now because I know they are going to work.

Quote:
I also read in the manual for "1st time users" that states, if you have any older files, that MTU would convert them to .bin files. Your saying that it converts them to .cda files, is that correct?.
I believe what it says is "for all but 1st time users," This is referring to the file extension used by Microstudio in previous versions which was CDG for the imported files. Now MS uses the BIN extension. These are the files stored on the hard drive after importing.
Now when you add these files to the Write Disc list either directly or via the Playlist. When you tell it to write the disc the BIN files are burned to the disc but now the track is named as Trackxx.CDA. This is the only extension recognized for audio tracks in disc format by the industry.

Quote:
As a gift to my children, grandchildren and now, great grandchildren, my wife and I are recording our songs that we do at all the venues we perform at. Do you think that I should be using another software to record them with? I have been converting all those performances into mp3 files before we record them to cd's. Are you saying that MTU software is converting them back to .wav files during the recording to Disk or are they still mp3's?
Since I don't exactly know the procedure or what software you are using to do your recording it will be hard for me to answer this.
How are you recording these songs? Are they MP3's when you finish?
With Microstudio, regardless of what format your songs (in this case they would be recorded audio only as the video part of it doesn't record with it) when you burn the files to a CD they will be WAV format with the same names as before (Track XX.CDA). This is why you will only get 15 - 20 tracks on a CD with Microstudio because the compression is removed and the full length file is used.
Now if your recipents have cd players that can read MP3 files then you may want to use a burner program that will write MP3 files to the CD which means you can get a very large group of files on one CD as opposed to just 15 - 20. It will depend on the burner program whether they are name exactly the way the files are or not.

Quote:
All the cd's I purchase show, on my player screen, the song, the Artist and the album number. That's what I'm trying to achieve. Am I trying to do something that is not available through the software I am using or am I looking for too much Blue Sky?
As I said before Commercially purchased CDs (CDGs too) all have a Discid encoded on the disc that tells the player what CD it is from either a built-in catalog or as Microstudio uses an on-line database to find the CD's contents. You home burned CDs do not have this, so there is no way for the player or Microstudio to determine what the tracks are.
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:04 AM

To: ddouglass

Well, you scored another 100% for all that information. I think at this point I have learned enough from your answers to the questions I asked. I can now ask more inteligent questions of the software vendures on what I'm trying to achieve.
I do appreciate your time and interest in your answering the questions I have asked. Your a great asset to helping those of us who use and enjoy the MTU software.

Tks, Vince