MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old May 8th, 2015, 11:12 PM

EQ program

I'm looking for a simple EQ program that is just for adjusting music going out from a laptop. This will be used in conjunction with the Lexicon external USB sound card which by the way does make MP3 tracks sound great.

I've been on the board over at GearSlutz.com asking about this and all the suggestions so far are for recording and not for simply controlling and adjusting outgoing music.

I realize that I can adjust music with my mixing board, but an EQ program was suggested to control it from my laptop so I thought I'd give that a try if possible.

If anyone ever comes across a simple EQ program that is just for adjusting music going out from a laptop, please let me know.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:07 PM

Re: EQ program

Well, after spending time searching the net and asking for this on some other music / musician talkboards... looks like nobody has created a simple EQ program that I can find.

If you guys ever hear of one, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll have to do my best to use the mixing board alone which should work out OK as I experiment.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Try this one: http://www.profoundsoundaudio.com/products.html

I'm not sure if it works with an external card which is basically what you have but I have it running in conjunction with my on board sound card.

Only downside I found is a wee bit of latency when playing videos.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:47 PM
VIP

Which is why I had suggested Hoster add an EQ like some of the others. There ARE people that would use the eq.

Have you thought about Breakaway? It's not an eq per se, but it makes things sound a lot cleaner, fuller & smoother - as far as odd volume songs.

Or you could always just buy an eq for in between the Lexicon and mixer.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:40 PM

Breakaway was complicated looking when all I was wanting was a simple EQ.

I searched and could not believe how few options there are for EQs. I guess most stuff like this is built in to software now and a stand alone EQ is not cost effective to produce.

I just downloaded the Profound Sound EQ (only $4.95) and will test it later today.

Since I'm using and external sound card it may or may not work so I'll let you guys know if it does.

As always, thank you for the suggestions and taking time to help the resident equipment newbie!

I certainly have a new found respect for KJs! All these years of going to karaoke shows to sing, it looked easy to be the KJ guy (especially with the babes all winkin at ya!) but I'm finding out now there quite a bit that goes in to trying to have decent sound.
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
Breakaway was complicated looking when all I was wanting was a simple EQ.

I searched and could not believe how few options there are for EQs. I guess most stuff like this is built in to software now and a stand alone EQ is not cost effective to produce.
Really? Breakaway is about as easy as they come in reality. I just basically use one of the presets and that's it. Nice thing about it over basic eq's is it will normalize all your music too - so you don't reach for the volume control from song to song. You want to know us kj's tricks to good sound, this is one of them for a lot of us.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:45 PM

I went back to the list of progs I had tested and I guess I never tested that one.

I experimented with Equalizer APO, JRiver Media Center, MAutoDynamicEq, Room Acoustics Software.

If the Profound Sound EQ is problematic, I'll go back and see what Breakaway can do.