MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
I had problems with one of these at my first job probably because it was my first job or maybe just setup problems but it keep blowing up the horns
Most likely you had the presence turned up too high. People tend to use it as an external bass/treble control, which it is not - it does help in those areas that are lacking punch or brightness, but it shouldn't be the main eq.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Back to the Bose Systems

The Bose Systems work very well in small to midsize venues, but they don't seem to hold up to mid or long term use. One KJ I know has sent two of her Bose units back for service, one time because one of the audio inputs kept eminating a buzzing sound. She does several different venues with her system. (Average 10-12 different venues a month).

I find that my Mackie DFX-12 and DFX-6 mixers work very well with my Behringer 1500 Amp and my old Yamaha Club 12's or 15's. I find that the 12" Yamahas in a room that holds 30 to 40 people is just fine. I even use the Mackie mixers with my Pyle 1600w amp with no problems whatsoever.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Talking Back to the Bose

[quote=capnvic;69411]The Bose Systems work very well in small to midsize venues, but they don't seem to hold up to mid or long term use. One KJ I know has sent two of her Bose units back for service, one time because one of the audio inputs kept eminating a buzzing sound. She does several different venues with her system. (Average 10-12 different venues a month).

I played 450 seat room New Years Eve, 600 seat room Fri-Sat, and a 800 seat room Sun. Two Bose Towers, 4 B-1 Bass Modules, Yamaha Mixer. Bose master volume on 2. Perfect sound covering the rooms. My friend has used the Bose for Two years 5 nights a week, Never had a problem. You have to know how to operate this system. Played on the road for years, the BEST SYSTEM i have had. The only two products in connection with sound or music production that has never given me the first problem is the Bose System and Hoster.
I realize we all have different opinions, just felt the Bose was getting a little trashed.
muzicman144
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
VIP

I'm not a big Bose fan for pro use. Tried them in my club and they didn't sound as good as my current PA.

Just upgraded my mixer froma Mackie CFX12 to a Mackie 1642 VLZ3, best purchase I have made to date. Mics are cutting through much clearer, crisper with less eq'ing.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM

I too have found the VLZ series mackie has GREAT mic pre's. Just cleaner than anything else I've tried. I wish the DFX used same pre's. Can anyone compare the yamaha (smaller) with effects to the Mackie DFX of VLZ for me?
thanks,
Randy
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
The Bose Systems work very well in small to midsize venues,
Depends how you define different sized venues but I can tell you mine have worked awsomely in every venue I've ever played
Quote:
but they don't seem to hold up to mid or long term use. One KJ I know has sent two of her Bose units back for service, one time because one of the audio inputs kept eminating a buzzing sound. She does several different venues with her system. (Average 10-12 different venues a month).
1 of my towers I've used continuosly for almost 4 years. My second tower I bought used off Ebay and have used it continuosly for 3 years. I have never had a hint of a problem.
Either I'm very lucky or your friend is very unlucky. I go through the Bose forum most every other day and I see very very few people who are having problems that require service, so I would say your friend is just unlucky.

Sam
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM

Smile Bose

I will say this of the Bose Systems, they are very easy and quick to setup and sound very good in the places I have seen them used. I never meant to imply that overall the Bose systems are inferior or bad. Just in the case mentioned, did they seem to fail in one manner or another. Maybe the KJ has had a bit of bad luck.

Will I convert from my current systems to Bose? probably not, I have already invested a lot of moola on what I have, plus I am comfortable with them.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Back to the Bose System

[quote=Lonman;69413]I'm not a big Bose fan for pro use. Tried them in my club and they didn't sound as good as my current PA.

Just as Sam said, They work Great. I feel I'm as much as a "pro" as anyone in this program. My music is "pro" and i'm proud of it. From your first post on Bose, it was obvious you didn't understand the concept of the Bose System and did not know how to get the "sound" out of it. To say it doesn't work for the "PRO" use is insulting to those of us who know what we are doing. As i told you before, you missed out on the best sound system out there. Good luck
Muzicman144
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Woo Hoo Happy Birthday to me

I just got myself a new toy. My wonderful wife bought me the M-Audio NRV-10 mixer for my birthday.

Still have to make a set of rackmount brackets for it (they never made them although they are advertised as an option).

I have it hooked up to my house system and it is soooo freaking cool. I'm not gonna install it in my mobile system till I get it fully figured out.

Anybody wanna buy an M-Audio Firewire 410 interface??????

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
VIP

[quote=muzicman144;69432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
I'm not a big Bose fan for pro use. Tried them in my club and they didn't sound as good as my current PA.

Just as Sam said, They work Great. I feel I'm as much as a "pro" as anyone in this program. My music is "pro" and i'm proud of it. From your first post on Bose, it was obvious you didn't understand the concept of the Bose System and did not know how to get the "sound" out of it. To say it doesn't work for the "PRO" use is insulting to those of us who know what we are doing. As i told you before, you missed out on the best sound system out there. Good luck
Muzicman144
Take it how you want, I feel differently. I haven't heard a Bose system to date that I felt was up to pro use standards but maybe that's just my taste. I had the opportunity to test them as both a PA system (wasn't happy at all with the result) & as a monitor system which sounded awesome - too expensive to buy for monitors. Been running pro sound for bands & recording studios since '86 so I would like to think I know a little about some pa gear. My personal opinion was they weren't cracked up to the hype.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Back to the Bose

[quote=Lonman;69438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post

Take it how you want, I feel differently. I haven't heard a Bose system to date that I felt was up to pro use standards but maybe that's just my taste. I had the opportunity to test them as both a PA system (wasn't happy at all with the result) & as a monitor system which sounded awesome - too expensive to buy for monitors. Been running pro sound for bands & recording studios since '86 so I would like to think I know a little about some pa gear. My personal opinion was they weren't cracked up to the hype.
There's an old saying in the sound business that goes like this, "It Ain't The Years, It's The EARS". We all hear differently, apparently i hear something you don't, or vice versa.
At any rate, to each his own and may how you do it bring you pleasure.
muzicman
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
"It Ain't The Years, It's The EARS".
Exactly. And I still stand by mine.
Yes obviously you are hearing something I didn't or the rooms you are working are suited better for that type of system. I did not care for it, my current PA sounds much fuller in the club I work. To each their own.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; January 8th, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM

i use mackie srm 450 powered speakers and a mackie board cfx12/16 and a dfx6, when i do my karaoke show , and i use my krk 6"( limited edition)powered studio monitor with a 10" sub when i do private parties,( this system will rock your world )...but i still have my pa system a pair of 3 way jbl and a pair of 2 way jbl with (4 )18" subs, powered by crown ce1000, ce 2000 and 3 peavey powey amps, when i do big venues, in my opinion ( just an opinion ) bose is good for playbacks ( without the sub,) its not worth a dime .

Last edited by billyo; January 13th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:36 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i use mackie srm 450 powered speakers and a mackie board cfx12/16 and a dfx6, when i do my karaoke show , and i use my krk 6"( limited edition)powered studio monitor with a 10" sub when i do private parties,( this system will rock your world )...but i still have my pa system a pair of 3 way jbl and a pair of 2 way jbl with (4 )18" subs, powered by crown ce1000, ce 2000 and 3 peavey powey amps, when i do big venues, in my opinion ( just an opinion ) bose is good for playbacks ( without the sub,) its not worth a dime .
My opinion (and that's all it is) as well!!!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old January 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM

VocalPro 8000

I've been using this mixer for 4 years and love it. It comes with all the RC jacks you could want and a great sub channel. Been using EV Force speakers and remote EV mikes sytem works and sound super, I've been looking at the the Mackie 200 watt powered board because ofit's size and power amp is perfect for most gigs, but until I get a few more gigs I'l stay with the VCP. Billy-Bob
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but I think vocopro's are for beginers. they are ok but limited I do like the duel decks, but they have a problem cue'ing up pop hits and I use my computer to play most songs. I don't like their limited echo. but they are one of the only ones that i thinks is "made for karaoke". Again just my veiw I stick with the mackie's.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM

Lonman

Just upgraded my mixer froma Mackie CFX12 to a Mackie 1642 VLZ3, best purchase I have made to date. Mics are cutting through much clearer, crisper with less eq'ing.

Did you have any problems with the cfx12 or was it just time to upgrade?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM

Yamaha EMX 312SC powered mixer with Yamaha S115IV cabinets.

I've seen guys with great systems that sounded like crap and guys with lesser systems that sounded good. I believe that a large part of how a system sounds is based on HOW MUCH EFFORT THE HOST PUTS INTO MAKING IT SOUND GOOD. With a good EQ setup and a little time and effort any decent pro PA system that works (with nothing blown of course) can be made to sound good.

If you buy the best gear you can afford (regardless of the brand) and take the time every night to make sure it is EQ'd correctly for the room you are in, you will always have a great sounding show. Even if I'm in the same room for more than one night, I check the front sound every night. Things like weather and how many bodies are in the room can make a difference.

Also the less the gear weighs, the better.

THIS IS JUST IN MY OPINION!

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; January 23rd, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but I think vocopro's are for beginers. they are ok but limited I do like the duel decks, but they have a problem cue'ing up pop hits and I use my computer to play most songs. I don't like their limited echo. but they are one of the only ones that i thinks is "made for karaoke". Again just my veiw I stick with the mackie's.
The duel decks are cdg players, Not mixing boards.
they are two different things.
i use a vocopro mixing board in one of my systems, with a peavey EQ and soundtech amp and yamaha speakers.
sounds just as good as any other mixer.
its how you mix it, not how much your mixer cost.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
VIP

Quote:
Lonman

Did you have any problems with the cfx12 or was it just time to upgrade?
It was just time, my mixer was in operation for nearly 7 years 7 nights a week. It still worked fine, but I did want a couple more channels & more versatile effects which I got externally. Plus the preamps in it is FAR better than the CFX. I don't have to eq them as much & don't have to turn them up as high either.
Nope I am actually sending the CFX back to Mackie to get a good overhaul/cleaning & then will use as a backup or maybe the start of another system.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit